News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

2nd Annual CROV Fall Run Reports/ photos / Kingman Arizona October 15th & 16th

Started by glennw, August 10, 2005, 01:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Got my room reserved today.  Friday 10/14 ~ Sunday 10/16.

V is running great - just need to fix that pesky oil leak (again - still  ::) ) and maybe put a set of new tires on her.

Looking forward to seeing those I've already met & meeting those I've not yet seen.  8)

May be riding the bike down if fuel prices don't drop a bit or if I can't get someone to go along & share costs.  Ran the numbers & it would cost about the same to ride & spend a couple nights in motels along the way as it would to drive the pickup straight through.  Riding would be more fun but the weather over the passes between home & the 4 corners region can be iffy by mid October.  Last year, headed to the Johnsondale meet, I drove through 6" of slush at the Eisenhower tunnel approaches & Vail Pass.  Wouldn't have been fun on the V at all!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

supervision

H2, drive 45, youl get excellant mileage.   Barb and I just did a run up the coast, across the top of the state  ( hwy 96 ) , down and over thur Susanville and camped at Tahoe for a few days....  Most of the way diesel was in the 3.45 range, the highest was 4 bucks at the base of Tioga Pass...    This is going to be fun to get the gang togther.......... as well as the new attenders     Going to bring son Trevor on his vfr 750f     haulin them in the truck,gettin there on Friday.   
Dave
" border="0

h2olawyer

Thanks Dave - If I go 45, I may get all the way up to 14 or 15 MPG!   ::)  Have yet to pay more than $2.95 for regular here.  It was over $3 for a few days but is coming back down.  There's even a normally expensive Texaco station selling regular at $2.85.  I'm doing my budgeting for the trip @ $2.85 / gal, hoping it will come down a bit by then.

I'm really looking forward to this get - together too.  Will be great to finally meet Rick_G and meet even more people crazy enough to love these bikes.  Don't know about a Honda (shudder) joining us, though.  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

If any of you  arrive early enough on Friday , you might consider  the two  museums that are with in sight of the motel, right accross from the big steam engine in the park. Their  interesting , one is about Route 66 and the other is focused on local history and colour.  Mister D's is accross street , they have good food.Its  right next to Dunton Motors, the local Artic Cat dealer, stop in to the service dept. and say hello . I have a part time job there. I get off at  5:00  so I'll swing by the  motel to see who has arived . 
I asked  my boss if I could open the service department  in the  event someone has trouble  and he  said "why sure" !  I look forward to meeting all of you!, 
Rick
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Lori and I have our room reserved for Friday night through Sunday.
We are taking a week off, if the weather is good we're going to spend a day at the Canyon the Monday following the ride.
I traded our 93 AWD Caravan for an 83 Venture that has 12,600 miles. Got it from the son of the original owner. The brake pads are just scuffed in, it was the original owners last bike.
Our "V" probably won't get rod bearings until winter so we'll just use the Venture and enjoy seeing everyone else's "V".

gbranche, what is your schedule for riding over?

coil

gbranche

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on September 17, 2005, 02:56:28 AMgbranche, what is your schedule for riding over?

There's no need to be quite so formal. I'm "Greg" to my friends. :)

Matt is taking a class in Hollister, so I'll be meeting him there on Thursday afternoon. From there, we'll head to Bakersfield via CA-152/I-5/CA-46/CA-99/CA-178, where we'll meet with Ron. On Friday, we'll head out of there on CA-58 to Barstow, where we'll most likely pick up I-40. Of course if there are some interesting side roads along they way, we may deviate a little. (I don't expect there to be any interesting side roads through the Mojave desert. :P ) Due to Monday morning obligations, we'll probably have to long-haul it all the way back to SJ on Sunday.

If you'd like, we can meet somewhere along US-101 in San Jose. I live in the southern end of the Santa Clara valley, so I'll most likely be getting on 101 at the Blossom Hill Rd. interchange. Alternately, if you'd like to meet Matt and I at the Hollister airport (which is where his classes are), that may be easier to find.

BTW, your Venture won't be the first one we've had at one of these gatherings...

Are there any other Bay Area riders going? (Hey, Extent, I'm talkin' to you!)

Greg

Rick G

I located my Arizona map (inthe tank bag on the bike!  where else? ) and here are the correct  road numbers  that I am proposing for the Sat. run I 40 east from Kingman AZ 93 south past Wikieup , left on 97 to Bagdad, then 96  to Prescott. Then we pick up 98 to Ashfork  on  I 40 . At Seligman we change over to Hiway 66 for the 80 or so miles in to Kingman.  The second day will  be much shorter , but no less interesting  . The second day will be much shorter. We take  AZ 93 north, 20 miles to chloride  and the best burgers in Arizona  and 160+ brands of beer!  after lunch  we double back  and exit  I 40  at Shinarump road,  Then take old 66 30 miles to  Oatman  . I believe  that all of you will enjoy these rides . See you when you get here
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

glennw

Are we ready CROV guys!!!    ;D ;D ;D
See you all on Friday...
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

>:(

Going to have to cancel.  Have to go out to Wray, CO - on the Colorado / Nebraska / Kansas border - for some meetings this week & won't be done until Friday afternoon.  If I drove straight through from there, I could be in Kingman sometime mid-day Saturday, worn out, sleepless & in no shape to ride.

RATS!

Hopefully I can make one of the runs next year.  Was really looking forward to seeing / meeting everyone.  Have a fun & safe weekend.  I'll be thinking of y'all tearing up the AZ pavement.

H2O

glennw

Sorry to hear that H20.....? :(
We will see you in the Spring... ;D
GlennW
Half Mad Max

h2olawyer

Oh well - the interests of my clients have to come before my fun.  I'll be looking forward to seeing some pix from this fall's run & eagerly anticipating hearing details of the spring, 2006 ride.  Maybe fuel prices will be a little more reasonable then, too.

The weather isn't cooperating either.  Was going to take a couple days extra & ride the V.  It hasn't been running & driving this well since it was new.  But, there's 10 ~ 20 inches of snow on a couple of the passes I'd have to cross.  By Wednesday - when I'd have been going over them - there would be just some sand, gravel & icy spots remaining on the roads.  Would have slowed down that first travel day but it would have made it more 'interesting'.

H2O   

Rick G

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. The weather here is great,   75 during the days and coolish at night.
Prescott is around 6000 feet so be sure and bring your jacket liner and warm shirts just in case its cooler up there. Better prepared than cold. remember we will  have a 65 mph + wind chill , while on the road
Rick G

Coil Coyle

We're ready!

Greg, the Hollister Airport works for us. What time Thursday? Is there a Coffee Shop for a meet nearby?

Jim

Brian Moffet

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on October 11, 2005, 02:37:55 AM
the Hollister Airport works for us. What time Thursday? Is there a Coffee Shop for a meet nearby?

The Hollister airport has a nice little cafe there.  Serves a good breakfast and lunch.  It's on the airport, and you can see Corbin Industries across the road (in case you want to get a saddle like mine :-) )

Brian

Rick G

If any of you run into  problems  on the road  or if you want to check in , My csll is 928 530-5690.   If you will let me know of you arrival time,  we will have enough tickets for everyone , who wants to , to see out two museums.
Rick G

Superfly

Guys,? I have got to work all weekend, and will miss the ride.? Sorry I cant make it.

>:(
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

gbranche

My son Matt won't make it either. There was some confusion with the guy that was supposed to take Matt's Saturday morning shift. :-\

I'm still planning on being there, though...

Greg

VisionMeister

I'm loading the V today and heading for Tonopah for o'nite.
See you tomorrow. Hope to be in by 3:00 PM.
Rev em  up. Move em out.

glennw

whoooo hoooooooooooooo...... reports to follow!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Half Mad Max

Rick G

WOW!!!!   This was some kind of fun!  Sat. we all rode the back roads to  Prescott, passing through several metroplisis such as Wikieup , Bagdad and Kirkland on the way.  After I missed  a turn at Kirkland  we discovered we were on a better  road  anyway. We stopped in Prescott for a late lunch and to adjust my clutchease  and  my carbs , Mine was running fairly crappy just off of idle  and stalling in traffic . It has never liked 6000 feet! 
There was a variety of  bikes  including a  BMW K100   that I dubed  "the diesel  pusher "  It was the size of a  2 wheel motor home  and moved like a rocket , it would be a speck  in my mirror  and suddenly come shooting past. It was great fun and the rider  stood all the ribbing in good humor. I now know the faces that go with the names  just not which one go with which faces !!

Sunday , was a lighter crowd , one Vision  fell ill to a bad stater  just as we were leaving  and another just as we arrived back from Oatman.  Plus , I dropped my bike in the parking lot , luckley damage was limited to a broken brake lever,  turn signal and my wounded pride . Thanks to all those who rushed to my aid  and picked it up.   I'll let others elaborate further on  Rick and the CROV's most excellent adventure !
Rick G