News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

oil leak ???

Started by 2wheelapeal, August 29, 2005, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2wheelapeal

ok my new toy seems to have an oil leak dripping onto the drivers side pipe anyone experience this yet and is it an easy fix ??? havent really dug into it tonite just got it here

h2olawyer

That sounds like the typical post-stator replacement leak.  The fix is to re-do the sealing job on the left case cover.  There are some rubber grommets inside the cover that need to have particular care taken when cleaning & re-sealing the cover.

You'll need a new left cover gasket - still available from Yamaha and some Yamabond 4 (Hondabond 4 & Threebond 1104 are the same stuff).  If you try a search on the forum, you'll find tons of info on getting it to seal correctly.  Not a huge job, but it is time consuming.  You'll also want to tighten the balancer shaft drive & driven gears & replace the shift shaft seal while you're in there.

One final project to be done at the same time is to replace the starter clutch bolts - if they haven't been done yet.  Nothing too expensive here - total parts & sealant outlay should be under $30 for the entire job.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

2wheelapeal

thanx my brother visionary

h2olawyer

No problem -

When I did my first stator last year, I had the leak.  Got it fixed this spring just before my second stator fried.  Did everything right but the grommet that holds the three wires from the stator has holes much larger than the wires.  Didn't get them sealed up quite well enough.  Have another oil leak that I'm going to fix this month.  Decided to let this oil get some mileage on it before changing it again.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

See, if we let the oil drip through the grommet, and fly backwards with the wind, the stock muffler wouldn't rust so quickly! We're fools!

Never mind, that can't help with the left side muffler.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Kevin

Also look at your starter, the oring on it will leak and the oil runs down the left side of the motor and drips off in about the same place as the sidecover gasket leaking. Kevin C.