News:

Main Menu

Vision's capability

Started by Jimmy C., July 12, 2005, 08:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

Hey.
Up until 140km/h, this bike is kick-ass. It'll drop a buell blast, '87 Kaw ninja 500, 2001 suzuki GS500E, harley sportster 1200...but only off the line.
What is with the gearing? My bike is perfectly tuned up, and in fifth gear going downhill, it'll get 145-150km/h. How fast has anyone had their vision? is there a gear kit out there that will boost the speed factor a little? or is the tested 113mph speed a result of a fairing?(my bike has no fairing.)

h2olawyer

The 113 MPH top end is a result of gearing.  With the North American gearing, engine redline gets you to 113 MPH in 5th gear.  The Euro gears - outside the British Isles) will give you some more top end & lower the revs at typical legal highway speeds.  They are available but be prepared to spend some $$.

With the 85 MPH speedo on the 82s, it's difficult to tell how fast you're going once you've reached the end of the dial.

A funner method of riding is "The Pace".  It is more of a challenge than just going fast & safer on all roads as well.  The article can be linked here:

www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9306_pace/

The Vision is an excellent performing bike & 113 MPH is more than adequate on public roads.  If you're going that fast, I hope it is on a track & not out where you could be putting other lives in danger.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

Jimmy,
         If you are worrying that the Vision isn't fast enough you miss the point.
Your bike is designed to enjoy backroads that turn around features in the terrain.
Visions are the half of a VMax that you can use most of the time.
In traffic you have the tools to not let the cagers kill you.

Get a local map and find those roads, enjoy the ride.
:) ;)
coil

Jimmy C.

I actually had the bike out on a country road where I could see for miles in all directions. I like to get the absolute most out of things, and I just thought there was something wrong with my bike, that's all.
But don't worry, I didn't hurt anybody. I stopped messing around with things like that a long time ago, because I'm broke and cannot pay the proverbial "price".
In my city, traffic sucks from 8 AM to 6PM. You can't get past 80 km/h anywhere because of all the construction going on, and how the roads are packed during the day, it's beyond me. that's where the Vision's low-end shines...
But back on topic, I hope I didn't give off the impression that I was a street squid or something. I usually talk to my bike like my fifth grade teacher talked to me:
"you have so much potential" she would say. "you are capable of so much more."

Thanks for your input.

P.S. Harley girl still cries of the day when I stole her virtue on the quarter-mile track. Full-size HD riders say the sportster is a girl's bike. I don't believe that, but last week "Harley girl" mentioned that she now wants a Vision.

Rick G

A couple of H-D riders   asked me  why I didn't want one and were at a loss for words when  I asked them ,  why would i want a bike that, dosen't stop, dosen't go  and dosen't handle!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

zore

Harley Davidson: The most efficient mechanism for turning gasoline in to noise with out all those nasty horsepower by-products.

All that said, I rented a soft tail in hawai and loved it.  I wouldn't buy one, but they are cumfty.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Jimmy C.

The V-rod stops, handles, and speeds with the best of them. That's the only capable factory Harley I know of.

I like the aftermarket for Harley stuff, and they're easy to work on. H-D offers a nice ride on the highway, and it doesn't matter what anybody says, the sportster is a pretty decent bike for what it is.
Of course, you could always buy japanese, and get a better-built bike for cheaper.

I rode a Victory Vegas two months ago, and that's an american bike I'd consider buying. 

MotorPlow

Quote from: Rick_G on September 15, 2005, 01:42:31 AM
A couple of H-D riders? ?asked me? why I didn't want one and were at a loss for words when? I asked them ,? why would i want a bike that, dosen't stop, dosen't go? and dosen't handle!

On my way back from Deal's gap this summer, I stopped for some rain cover under an overhang at an out of business gas station.? I was surronded by about 15 Harleys and one or two imported big cruisers.? The guys were all asking about my bike, kind of in a condesending way.? One of the ladies who rides behind her husband said that I should buy a Harley as "there is nothing else like it in the world".? I told her that she was absolutely right and that was exactly why I would never buy one. She really didn't understand, when I tried to explain that I like to RIDE my bike and I really like curves.

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on September 15, 2005, 03:22:58 PM
A couple of H-D riders? ?asked me? why I didn't want one and were at a loss for words when? I asked them ,? why would i want a bike that, dosen't stop, dosen't go? and dosen't handle!

On my way back from Deal's gap this summer, I stopped for some rain cover under an overhang at an out of business gas station.? I was surronded by about 15 Harleys and one or two imported big cruisers.? The guys were all asking about my bike, kind of in a condesending way.? One of the ladies who rides behind her husband said that I should buy a Harley as "there is nothing else like it in the world".? I told her that she was absolutely right and that was exactly why I would never buy one. She really didn't understand, when I tried to explain that I like to RIDE my bike and I really like curves.

Hope she didn't take the "curves" comment personnaly!  :D

We know they don't handle well. The Fat Boy we saw in the ditch rubber side up hadn't even made it to the dragon yet!

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Jimmy C.

It's a brand-name society. I had a BMW 320i from the early eighties, and it was a rotten piece of crap...yet no one made fun of it.
Instant credibility, for saying you own one.
Same goes for a Harley. Even if it is a junker, it's still got a reputation. I really don't know why.
Then again, I know people who wear Harley attire, and never even sat on one before.

squid

ive had my V up to 170km/h trying to catch up to a buddy,,,i backed off cause was starting to get the warning of tank slap,,,but for the most part,,,puttin along doin 80-100km/h is just fine by me,
my next bike is going to be an 1100 v-star classic,,,,the archie bunker on wheels for this kid on really long trips,,and te vision will be the bike that will keep me young and busy lol ;D

h2olawyer

Read recently that Harley makes a ton more $$ from selling licenses to produce clothes & stuff than from selling motorcycles.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

Quote from: Mutt on September 15, 2005, 05:23:56 PM
Quote from: MotorPlow on September 15, 2005, 03:22:58 PM

Hope she didn't take the "curves" comment personnaly!? :D

We know they don't handle well. The Fat Boy we saw in the ditch rubber side up hadn't even made it to the dragon yet!

Mutt

She didn't really have any curves, unless you consider "round"

Lucky

>>She didn't really have any curves, unless you consider "round" <<

No fat chicks on my bike, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

Yea, the only thing stiff on the bike would be the rear suspension!  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President