News:

Main Menu

new vision owner

Started by xtrmrokkrwlr, September 15, 2005, 01:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtrmrokkrwlr

I wanted to say hello to everyone. With that said I have a few guestions hopefully that can be answered. First I just recently became the owner of an 83 RK. The previos owner said it ran fine but had a starting issue. I took the week to become acustomed to it and also to take most of it apart to see any issues. A new fuse box and plugs with some fluid changes and I'm happy to report it is starting and running just fine. Now I'm in the process of customizing it to my liking. Any info on how to easily change the headlight system to a round one with turn signals and no fairings. While allowing the full fairing to be put back on if sold. Also I am I need of new pipes and mufflers. Looking for something with more performance. And last is there a way to change the intake from under tank to somewhere else for more air. I no I could incorporate some of this with some creativity and the welder. But I'm looking for more of bolt on if I can? Any help would be appreciated and if anyone lives in central Pa. Contact me so we can go on a ride. Till then keep the rubber side down.

ProfessorRex

first off, Congrats, and welcome to the ROV

Round Headlight: Maxim 650 is EASY and there's enough room in the back for all the wires.   Buell is also an option, though more exspensive.

Air Box mods for more air: NO NO NO!!!! Don't do it!  The carbs get more air than they can handle AS IS!!! That's the reason for the "flapper" in the carb, to lower the amount of air coming in.  Blake is experimenting with K&N pod filters but as yet has not nailed the tunning.  If you are a skilled tuner of carbs, please ignore what I said, put on some K&N pod filters and re-jet the whole shebang, then report findings here.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

xtrmrokkrwlr

Thanks for your reply. A freind had said the samething about the maxim headlight. And for the carb I'll probably leave that alone. My skill is more towards xtreme jeeps. Hence the forum nickname. But I love to fiddle and improve where I can on anything with a motor and tires. The pipes are severly rusted and I tried to clean them up :(. I could live with the specII's but want something alittle more throaty if I can?

Superfly

Alot of us run Mac pipes.  I am happy with the set I have.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Welcome to the forum -

The Mac pipes are still available new.  Another option is the Predator - out of England - Stainless so they are kind of pricey.  I agree with Prof. Rex - leave the intake system alone.  You can still get a UNI filter for it but any performance gain is not apparent - at least it wasn't to me.   I mainly got it for ease of cleaning & re-use instead of buying one from the stealer when it needs to be changed.  Sealing foam ring on UNI isn't too good & doesn't fit very well - I needed to rework mine to get it right.

Have fun with both the rocks & your new toy!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

I may be selling a very clean stock set off my 82.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Lucky

seems a shame to pull a fairing off an 83.. pack it away with care, they are highly sought after, & replacement parts are hard to get...

go with the Macs
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

xtrmrokkrwlr

Thanks for the insight. As far as the pipes does anyone have a good website to go to? For the time being I packed the lower fairing in bubble wrap. Once the headlight is done I'll do the same with the upper. Another ??? What's the best windscreen to get mine is cracked and I figured I'd replace now even if I'm not going to use it. Thanks again for the insight.

Xtrm-

h2olawyer

There are two sources I know of for windshields to fit the 83 fairing.? Gustafsson Plastics in Florida & Clearview in Colorado.

Gustafsson:? www.bikescreen.com/

Clearview:? ? www.clearviewshields.com/prod.htm

Both have clear & smoked screens and can make them taller with a wind deflector if you want.? Gustafsson also has bunches of other colors.  For the Gustafsson site, just type in yamaha vision in the search window.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.