Flipping WIND!!!! In Kingston,ON

Started by KoenigsTiger, October 10, 2005, 06:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

Hey Every one!!! ;D  Forum back on line!!!! ;D

I am in a better mood now, then I was yesterday!!! ;D  My girl(Vision) has gotten layed two nights ago.  In the morning the bike was lying on the cover.  The bike was on the left side with gas all over, didnt see any oil, a drop of coolant.  It was on the cover so, magicly the only thing that is visibly damaged is the turnsignal. I can super glue it back together no problem, not the first time. The head light got jamed in the plastic housing, it poped out nicely. Mirror got some additonal scretches.  Nothing that I can't live with.  The only real question I have is could have the oil went up some where in to the engine or carbs??? As far as I remeber there was full seeglass of oil, now there is half. What should I do about this???  I have not attemped to start it.  The second question how can the wind do such damnd things **** memory kicking in***** Well I guess there have been a coulpe of hurracanes in the south.  I had it parked on the center stand.  I never had wind knock the bike over before. There have been a few storms. What precacions should I take, besides getting a garage(in a few months I will)??? Tying the bike to a tree sounds like a good idea. ;)

Thank you very much!!!! ;D ;D ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Superfly

I would suggest to pull the plugs and see how they look.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

KoenigsTiger

Yeah, I will do that. ;D  Hopefully not black/oily...  :-[

THX!!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

h2olawyer

Let it sit a while & check the oil again.  It may take a little while to get back into the bottom of the engine.

Start parking on the side stand when you're going to be leaving it for any length of time outdoors.  The MSF course I took said wind as low as 30MPH can blow a bike over when its on the center stand.

Glad damage wasn't too bad.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

KoenigsTiger

Whoa????? :o ??? ::)

The side stand is more secure in the wind then the center stand???  The side stand feels flimsy.  But if the course said so.
I suppose it better to have the handle bars straight??? or turn them to the left??? ??? Hmmm....

Thanks for enlightening me, h2olawyer!!!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

Extent

On the center stand it dosen't really matter, on the side stand always turn the bars to full lock left before getting off it.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

With a cover over the bike & a good gust of wind, the cover can become a parachute and it's actually not that hard for it to lift the bike forward over the center stand.  on the side stand all the weight is on 3 widly spread points. although it seems like this is less stable, it is actualy more stable.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

KoenigsTiger

Yeah thats what I though too... The parashute idea had occured to me. My cover is custom made, I only bungy it to the front wheel.  Its very long, two weeks ago here was a storm and it blew off the bike but the bike was ok.  :-\

Two days ago the bike ended up on top of the cover.  Right now I have it on the side stand, handle bars all the way to the left.  2" inches away from a pole on the left side. Hopefully not going to tip.  Had it on a center stand last night, noticed the right mirror was loose today.  :-[

Iam from Calgary, AB, never had those problems there. In Kingston for only six more weeks. :D

Thank you!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

MotorPlow

Along with using the side stand, don't forget to park it on the side stand in gear. This prevents any wind from pushing the bike forward and collapsing the side stand.

Rick G

Your not far  from where I have family  in Brockville, i always liked Kingston.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

KoenigsTiger

Yeah, I forgot about leaving it in gear. Will do! ;D

Kingston hmmm... a lot warmer then Calgary, longer riding season for sure. Too many cars and not as many twisties as the Rockies! ;D ;D ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

squid

where in kingston are ya? we should go for a ride sometime, if i get this charging system thing straighted out lol, i live in town drop me a line if yer interested ;D

KoenigsTiger

That would be sweet!!! ;D ;D ;D  Its going to be raining this Sat, I will be gone for the rest of the week.  Most likely the second weekend.  How long is the riding season here anyway???  Much longer then in Calgary I bet!!! Although I did roll out one Xmas morning, ehehheehe, couple years ago. :D

Thanks squid!!!!!!!!! ;)
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

squid

that sounds like a great plan,,,,,this sat hopefully if all goes well i will get this charging system fixed up, so the following sat should be no problems,,,depending on the weather, i have ridin right into december so there is a few weeks left yet  ;D

KoenigsTiger

:o December!!!! :o

ehehehhe, nice!!!!!! We have plenty of time.  Hopefully the charging system goes back on line.  Mine aslo burned one R/R before.

Good Luck!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450