News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Camera and a little tail cleanup

Started by zore, October 15, 2005, 01:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekid

I have some tribal vinyls on the top of my tank that I picked up cheap off of my brother. I think they look alright,but Id really like to do it right and get myself a custom paint job.  I'll try to post a pic of the vinyls soon....
Ride It Like You Stole It!

Blurred Vision

Custom paint aint cheap. The only reason I could afford to do it 4 times is because I'm the Finishing supervisor for a high end Kitchen company. Just a fancy spray booth for wood. I get all materials for free and unlimited use of the spray equipment. I could fit 2 full size pick-ups in the main booth alone.
Jay

ps2/bikevision

hey jay how about i drop my girl off to ya and hook me up with some smoked flames in your spare time.

man i wish i knew how to paint. bad thing is i studied art back in school, and still cant paint but one color. or simple tape off jobs.

Blurred Vision

Most of that paint was just simple taping and a stencil. The hard part is all the prep work and sanding. I was lucky that there isn't a whole lot of body to paint on the vision. This is the fourth paint job trust me the first wasn't so hot ::)
I'm a wood finisher so I'm good with smooth and shiny, It's the detail that took practise.

I would love to paint another vision, but I'm still testing the durability of The catalysed Laquer on my bike. If it holds up I'd gladly paint a few more. The biggest advantage to laquer is that it is highly resistant to gasoline. No matter how much gas I poured on my sample pieces it still didn't wrinkle react or peel.
And after it was wiped off and dried it still didn't affect the gloss. The only other concerns are heat and sunlight, but I have a feeling all will be well. Were trying to organise a Southwestern Ontario ride for the spring if your close enough come on up we can talk paint and what not.
Jay

ps2/bikevision

now those smoke flames look awsome. gives some soft curves to complment the hard line of the vision. thats what im looking for. a soft scheme to balance it all out. the hard line flames to me seems not to flow as well as soft blend in. i like the air brush flames. the ones that look as though they could be real.

also most low end flame jobs you see look like they could be stickers or decals. i was thinking some grey smoke wispers, like cigrette smoke, rolling up from the bottom would look awsome.

now the flames one your bike with the detale inside the flame just make it pop. that subtile detail is what makes the difference between a good paint job and an exelcent one.
props to you jay. hope i can make it up for the ride this spring as long as the weather holds. ill be there as well as the dragon.

looks like ill be doing some riding this year. hoo rah to me!! guess ill have to invest in some good bags for the bike.

Blurred Vision

Those wispy flames are done with a stencil. A specially shaped stencil. didn't have the nerve to try it free hand on my vision but with a little more research I'm sure I can teach myself.
Jay

YellowJacket!

well, after looking at the pics, I think I'm gonna look for a second, third, fourth hand rear fender and chop it and give it a whirl.  The bike looks good without it.  I may go withthe stubby turn signals too.  Nothing that I can't change back to.  Want to try to keep her all orriginal if I decide to part with her...NOT!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

thekid

hey,Jay, wanna know a triple coincidence? I just realized after reading your post about working in the custom kitchen field that we have three things in common.
Both our names are Jay ( mine is short for Jason.) we both work in the kitchen business(I've been building and installing custom furniture and kitchens for five years now) and we both have visions, of course 8) freakish, huh?
Ride It Like You Stole It!

Blurred Vision

Mine's short for Jason as well. I'm the head Finisher with my company. It's a great buisness to be in. St Thomas is exploding with new houses and we can hardly keep up.
Jay

zore

Sorry for the late posts but I've been busy with a 2 week old and haven't had much time for INTARWEB.  Basicly, I removed all the bits of the old fender.  I then took a piece of lexan i had, cut and bent it using a heat gun.  It serves to keep water and dirt out of the underseat area and holds my license plate.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900