Getting a brighter headlight

Started by vavision, November 01, 2005, 05:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

I ride at night alot.

I swear my lowbeam is aimed correctly but I still don't see as far as I'd like. my high beam gives me more than enough, but I'm certain to upset someone. Is anyone running a brighter bulb or know of another headlight that will fit into the fairing?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

h2olawyer

Look for any high quality H4 type bulb.  They all fit the mounting system in the V's Headlight lens / reflector system.  I'm using a Sylvania (Osram) SilverStar bulb.  Works much better than stock.  PIAA makes excellent bulbe but you'll pay for them - not that the Sylvania is inexpensive.

Hope this helps illuminate the subject.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Been running an H4 130/100 for years. Zero problem.  $12.00 US.  Cheers.

Rick G

I too have been using a 130/100   for quite a while . I wouldn't be with out it!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vavision

Is this a bulb I can find any your typical run of the mill autoparts store or can I only find it at a motorcycle shop?

The shops around here close before I get off work, and I'm riding 120 miles after work on friday. The road I'm riding is pretty straight and has enough traffic to borrow light from, but if I can have a brighter light then, it woul dbe nice.

Anyone have a part number?

QBS

Not a Yamaha part.  Look for it m/c shops, auto assessory stores, stores specializing in off road auto equipment.  The key is to look for an H4 socket bulb.  There are lots of equipment that use this socket.  Just say" I want to see the highest wattage H4 bulb you've got".  If they don't know what you're talking about, get a more knowledgable clerk or a better equiped store

vavision

Ok- already been cited for the 130/100 Watt bulb. I had it in a good 25 minutes, cop did a uturn from teh other lane and pulled me over (good thing I finally got my license last weekend ; )). Anyway- I get a warning on the system this time if I take it to the Police Department within a week with corrected equipment but it's a $100 minimum fine! So I switched it out with a  Sylvania SilverStar bulb 65/55 watt bulb. It seems brighter, than my old one but not nearly as bright at the 130/100, but getting pulled before I had it on an hour by the first cop I came by made it seem like a bad idea. Apparently it's a big complaint from motorists about how bright motorcycle lights are and "they have been responsible for causing accidents by blinding drivers." I'm not sure how much I bought that.

George R. Young

The 100/80W bulb from NAPA is a good compromise, brighter but not police attractive.

And for the Vision's charging system benefit, the more power you burn in a bulb, the less power goes into heating the regulator.  Unfortunately, this has no impact on the stator over-heating problem.

hfarley

First they say they can't see you then they say they can see you but you made it to obvious. I wish they would make up their minds. LOL!

Vavision what state are you in? I just went out at lunch today and bought the sylvania bulb. It is supposed to be crisper and easier to see with which is what I wanted for riding. I will see what happens.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

vavision

Virginia... Va...vision

sorry, had too  ;)