News:

Main Menu

Vision 25 Year Celebration

Started by h2olawyer, November 07, 2005, 02:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where would you like to see a North American oriented Yamaha XZ550 Vision 25 year celebration located?

South Central US
0 (0%)
North Central US
2 (6.7%)
Eastern US
15 (50%)
Western US
6 (20%)
Rocky Mountains
6 (20%)
Canada
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 07, 2005, 02:44:55 AM

h2olawyer

Vision Meister (Craig) suggested that a North American ROV meet would be a great idea to mark the 25th anniversary of the introduction of the XZ550.  I wholeheartedly agree.  Because the 2007 riding season is 18 months away, we have time to plan well ahead so the maximum number of Visionaries can attend.  However, 18 months is still a fairly short time to find a site & set aside enough rooms for everybody interested in attending.

Once the general area is selected, we can have another vote to decide on the specific location & a third poll for time of year.  Maybe having it in conjunction with a Venturers or Star national meet could be arranged.  Another possibility could be to have it at one of the races where TDub & the Memphis Shades bike will be racing. 

Figured I'd get the ball rolling & hopefully it will gain some momentum over the next few months.  If you have a specific place in mind, go ahead & let everybody know.  We can discuss the pros & cons of various places.  Looking forward to hearing from everybody interested in attending!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

North and west from St. Louis, on a river or mountain ridge for twisties.
We are in regardless if it's in the continental US.

coil

gbranche

I'm game for just about anywhere in the US, except for Kansas or Nebraska. (There aren't too many squiggley lines on the maps there...)

The choices in the survey are somewhat limiting, so I figured I'd expand a little on my choice.

I live in San Jose, CA, and know that California has some of the best motorcycling roads I've experienced anywhere. The number and variety of appropriate roads is astonishing. The weather is agreeable just about any time of the year. I also realize that it's a bit of a trek for those of you on the East Coast.

I also know that there are some great roads in New England. I have personal experience in the Adirondaks of New York, but I'm sure Vermont and New Hampshire have some great riding as well. It's also a bit of a trek for those of us on the Left Coast.

I attended a 10th anniversary GTS rally in Frisco, Colorado a couple of years ago. It was a fairly centralized location from just about anywhere in the US and Canada, and there are some GREAT roads to explore in the area (as we've all heard from Rob).

I've heard that the Ozarks (Southern Missouri/Northern Arkansas area) have some great riding. I would imagine that the Black Hills area of South Dakota would provide some good riding. The Smokey Mountains area of western North Carolina would be a great area to meet up, and allow ALL of us to have a go at the Dragon.

Due to the geography of the US, I think that any location that is chosen is going to be a long distance trip for somebody. That's just the way it is, and we'll have to expect that not everybody will be able to attend.

I also think that the scheduling is important, and should be mentioned. Obviously, the weather can be a factor for just about any location other than California. School schedules are also a factor, as there are many among us that are attending college, and so the rally should be scheduled sometime between semesters/quarters.

Food for thought,

Greg

MotorPlow

Okay, I voted for Eastern Area, but that's only because I know there are some really great roads here in the Appalacian Mountians that stretch from Georgia to Vermont. It doesn't matter to me, I am going to try my damnedest (is that a word) to make it no matter where it is. I would just like to see it some place where there are some twisties and limited traffic. Smack dab in the middle of the country might have limited traffic, but it very flat and straight.

Lead_Deficiency

How about something around the blue ridge parkway, I think the dragon is near there?

Might be best to see who's interested, then look for something central. Where is the centre of the US anyway ? Theres a good population of V's in Cali and the north east, this would allow for a bit of travel for most, and certainly some good roads down there would be a must.

I'd be willing to make the trip, (as long as the salt is off the roads, lol)

Brian B

crackerkorean

I was either thinking the dragon. I know the dragon and surrounding area has much riding to be had.

It must be good if the miata club meets there every year and people from alaska drive down for the event.

VisionMeister

My ability to make an event is very flexible. I look forward to experiencing a new part of the country that I haven't been to previously.
I would still go with one of my original suggestions: Timed with an AMA National event at Pikes Peak, Brainerd Minn. or Mid Ohio.
Arriving early for a riding rally or staying after the weekend event.
Each of these appear to have good riding in the immediate area and all have both lots of lodging and camping accomodations.
Mid-Ohio has had a two weekend event with vintage bikes the first weekend followed by the National the following weekend.
I like Colorado because I wouldn't have to travel as far.
I'm sure the AMA calander won't be confirmed until winter 06. So still lots of time to lock in a date if.
I think the only downside to these suggestions would be the increased traffic associated with the race events.
Be assured, I will make it to whatever event we end up planning.

Mutt

I agree with Lead_Deficiency. We should get at least some firm/hard commitments so we'll know where the bulk of the riders will be coming from.
Having said that.......I'M IN!

I have some time on my hands for research/coordination. If everyone that wants to attend would send me their Name/City/State/Province/Country locations I'll research sites based on the bulk. My email address is XZ550@nc.rr.com

Someone should call Cycle World too just to make sure they're aware that we're still out there! Maybe invite them to the event?? :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

ps2/bikevision

you got to know im in, i anit afraid of a long trip. bring it on! it would be great to top my 1400 mile dragon trip. as long as the riding is good and im still alive. (miata owners will chase you down if you nail them with a rock) yes i found this out the hard way recently. (had a flash back from the gap).

im in michigan so im some what centralized. but its all about the trip and the adventure and second the destination.

live to ride, ride to live.

Mutt

PS2! Good to hear from you! It's been a while. I'll add your name on the growing list.

PS2 Martin, MI

Mutt

Mutt

Hey guys, I've already received several email responses for people interested in a national ROV meet. I will be out of town for the next 4 days attending a band competition in Indianapolis. Please keep the emails coming! I will respond to your emails when I return Sunday afternoon.

Mutt

hfarley

Depending on where it is I am in. I would do my best to get there even if it was far away. I would probably just triler the Vision then and ride it once I got there.
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Kevin

mid ohio  vintage days is a good time, also Davenport Iowa has a vintage swapmeet and dirt track racing.We will try and attend with 3 visions.KEVIN C

squid

Im in!! 18 months is lots of time for me to plan a trip to the US. only been over the border once lol but loved the east coast ;D I really think it will be a blast and to see soo many vision's at once,,,I cant contain my excitment now!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D

ps2/bikevision

with the snow now falling here in michigan now all i can do is dream about our last gap run. oh how i yurn to feel here between...

sorry having withdrawls again. i havent had time to even to work on the v lately. i let a buddy talk me into buying a jacked up blazer and i have been working my ars off to get it readdy to hit the trails this winter. hopefully i dont roll this one.

back to the subject, as long as we dont schedual it during a miata or harly meet im up for some fun again.

Mutt

No Miatas this time but, the Harleys are always going to be there and in the way. Just make sure you take care of the Cracker Jack electronics on your V this time and no throwing rocks! I say we meet up at Motorplows and ride down together this time.

Mutt

MotorPlow

Quote from: Mutt on November 21, 2005, 12:01:08 AM
No Miatas this time but, the Harleys are always going to be there and in the way. Just make sure you take care of the Cracker Jack electronics on your V this time and no throwing rocks! I say we meet up at Motorplows and ride down together this time.

Mutt

That works with me....  We can actually take the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the Smokey Mountain National Park. However, the speed limit is only 45mph.

VisionaryDan

Count me in - my biggest problem will be deciding which bike to bring.

Dan

h2olawyer

Quote from: VisionaryDan on November 24, 2005, 11:46:23 AM
Count me in - my biggest problem will be deciding which bike to bring.

Dan

Dan -

Here's a hint:  It is a VISION rally!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

steve

It's been awhile since I've written (I've been out riding in our ridiculous great weather here!!!) but I must say I am getting pretty excited about a big event with visions and visions and more visions!  I would like to add an idea.  A couple of years ago I went with my brother to the biggest air show in the country.  He had a Beechcraft Bonanza airplane and all the owners of like aircraft met the day before the show at an airport about 1/2 hour away.  We all flew in formation to the show together and it was an awesome sight to see!  We could find a big show or event and all meet the day before.  We could get a short briefing and ride together, maybe 50 or 100+ visions on parade to arrive together and park together for the event?