News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Vision 25 Year Celebration

Started by h2olawyer, November 07, 2005, 02:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where would you like to see a North American oriented Yamaha XZ550 Vision 25 year celebration located?

South Central US
0 (0%)
North Central US
2 (6.7%)
Eastern US
15 (50%)
Western US
6 (20%)
Rocky Mountains
6 (20%)
Canada
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: December 07, 2005, 02:44:55 AM

VisionaryDan

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 24, 2005, 01:34:56 PM
Quote from: VisionaryDan on November 24, 2005, 11:46:23 AM
Count me in - my biggest problem will be deciding which bike to bring.

Dan

Dan -

Here's a hint:? It is a VISION rally!? ?;D

H2O

H2,

Which Vision to bring - was what I meant, the one with the fairing or the one without. There's always a wise guy.... ::)

To quote zore: "a real man rides naked"
But a fairing keeps the June bugs from hitting you like a bullet at 60 mph.

Dan

Mutt

Quote from: VisionaryDan on November 25, 2005, 05:54:10 PM
Quote from: h2olawyer on November 24, 2005, 01:34:56 PM
Quote from: VisionaryDan on November 24, 2005, 11:46:23 AM
Count me in - my biggest problem will be deciding which bike to bring.

Dan

Dan -

Here's a hint:? It is a VISION rally!? ?;D

H2O

H2,

Which Vision to bring - was what I meant, the one with the fairing or the one without. There's always a wise guy.... ::)

To quote zore: "a real man rides naked"
But a fairing keeps the June bugs from hitting you like a bullet at 60 mph.

Dan

Man, I'm glad H20 stuck his neck out there! I was thinking the same thing he was, just didn't put it in writing. Heck, trailer em and bring both visions if you don't plan on riding down. I would use the fairing bike though if your riding down. If you ride down you can meet up with us at Motorplow's house.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Dan -

Since you have the luxury of choice among Visions, I'd have to agree with Mutt's suggestion - trailer both or ride the fairing equipped one.  Rain riding sucks but at least you stay drier with the fairing.

Had to make the S/A remark.  Forgot you had Vision choices.  Most multiple V owners have the extras just for parts.  The rest of us have to rely on just one & hope to find parts as necessary!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VisionMeister

Hey H20, I wanted to bring this subject back to the top of the stack.
I was jst browsing the AMA Superbike site and saw that Pikes Peak had been dropped but a brand new track added at Salt Lake.
Also information about this years Vintage bike meet at Mid-Ohio Which will feature MV Agusta.
Gotta say I think I prefer Mid Ohio as a 25 year anniversary site.
We could rent a vintage bike swap meet site for all Vision riders to congregate at exchange parts and bench racing tales of danger, bravery and general underdog superperformance crushing modern bikes.
This in addition of course to riding the general area and possibly visiting the AMA Hall of Fame Museum.

h2olawyer

I like the idea of Mid Ohio and am also looking at what's happening in Elkhart Lakes Wisconsin.  Thinking the riding may be more fun farther north.  The Pikes Peak track either is closing or has closed for many events.  Not sure if they're keeping the oval for IRL and other auto / truck series.

The track in Salt Lake (Tooele) is indeed brand new & supposed to be a very good one.  I've spent some time in that area & the riding is good.  Provo Canyon would make a real fun ride.

Overall, though, the Mid Ohio site is most interesting.  Fairly central to many V owners - if a bit east for you west coasters.  We may even be able to get some favorable press about the ROV & Visions if we have it in that area.  Plus, there's lots to do in that vicinity for family members that don't want to hang around us warped Visionaries the whole time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

Mid Ohio works for me. I could definately do Mid Ohio.

Kenny

I would go for Mid-Ohio, what a neat spot ! I saw more bikes at this site last summer than I've ever seen in one location before.(also saw 3 visions) It takes about 10 hrs via the 401 from here. ;D
                            Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

crackerkorean

Just so I know waht date are we looking at.

Blurred Vision

Quote from: Kenny on January 26, 2006, 08:04:44 PM
? I would go for Mid-Ohio, what a neat spot ! I saw more bikes at this site last summer than I've ever seen in one location before.(also saw 3 visions) It takes about 10 hrs via the 401 from here. ;D
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Cheers Ken S.
I would love to go to the national meet, could use a Guide for the trip. Have never been to Ohio, have rarely ever left Ontario! ::)
Jay

ps2/bikevision

mid-ohio is perfect for me. would be the closest spot for me. plus ive never ridden throught that area and its always good to ride to a new place.

Mutt

Kiawrench and myself vote for Myrtle Beach!? :P

Actually Ohio sounds alright to me. Ironically enough I will be taking a trip to Dayton next month then in April to Columbus. Then back to Columbus again early summer. My daughter is in high school band and she's been accepted to drum corp international's "Capital Regiment". She'll be traveling around the country to competitions/shows all summer. Can you tell I'm proud of her?? ::)

Yep, Ohioooooo works for me too. In fact I run right by Motorplow's house on the way. We could just ride up together. That is if I can keep up!? :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

MotorPlow

Yup, Ohio is just a short jaunt across West Virginia. West Virginia is an incredible State to ride through... Wild and Wonderful.  I think when they came up with that motto, they were talking about riding the roads on a motorcycle.

glennw

Can you guys make it any further away for the west coast? :-\
Half Mad Max

VisionMeister

West Virginia as Wild and Wonderful makes me think of the Dueling Banjos theme from Deliverance.
Hope your Stator is fresh (know what I mean, Vern?).

Actually I know the roads there are wonderful. Just don't want to run into any moon shiners.

Night Vision

I'll throw a vote to central Ohio

is that clock right? ? 2:47 pm? it's more like 5:50pm est, did the forum go Ohio time?? :)

oh yeah, Akron used to be (or is) where the Soap Box Derby Nationals were (are) held.
we could boot leg a run over there and race? :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Coil Coyle

If we go to the Soapbox track then I'm bringing an XS360. With drum brakes and chain drive, when powered by gravity, the XS360 has turbo-like acceleration compared to any modern sportbike.  ;D

I learned this watching Ron McCoy disappear ahead of us down Lion's Trail one afternoon we had a coasting race.  :-[

8)
coil

hfarley

Hmm I got to thinking a bit. I am not making any promises here what-so-ever but... My boss owns a tire manufacturing plant (no motorcycle tires) in Akron OH. Maybe I will see if we can somehow work something out to meet up in say the parking lot, invite the local press, and give us and him some free publicity at the same time. Before I speak to him about this what do you gang think? Is it worth trying for or did you all decide on meeting up somewhere else? Now I don't know where I am going to be at life wise at that point (starting to try to get pregnant sometime next month) but even if I didn't end up making it, it still would be do-able. Let me know!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

h2olawyer

We've finally decided on Fraser, Colorado (near Winter Park).  I am working on finding enough house or condo space to handle everyone who wants to come.  After dad broke his hip & had other health problems, I kind of fell behind in getting things rolling again.  The tentative date is the second or third week of June, 2007.

After studying maps for a while, the geographic center of the US is northern Kansas.  Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of great riding in that area.  The next nearest place I could think of was Colorado.  If we held it in Ohio, the California folks would have an extremely long trip.  It's about 23 hours driving time from my house to the Bakersfield area.  Getting from California to Fraser would be a little quicker for them but not much - maybe an hour.

Coming from the east, the roads are good - at least I know they are from Indianapolis to Denver & there isn't nearly as much mountain driving which slows driving time down even on interstates.  Winter Park / Fraser are about 2 hours west of Denver so it is about 1/2 day's drive farther for the east coast folks than the left coasters.

I've put together a bunch of possible rides and will be riding each one personally this summer to figure out the best ones.  There's lots of stuff for the non-biking family members to do as well.

H2O

Lucky

I have to warn you that as of now with the move & all, i have absolutly no idea what my situation will be in a year, i'll leave the date open, but can make no promises... :(

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dchakrab

Hmmm. 18 hour drive for me, from Chicago. Assuming I have a running V next year (hey, now I can say "still have a running V next year") I'd love to make the trip if someone who's more mechanically inclined wants to ride together. I doubt I'd want to do it alone, unless my mechanical knowledge improves drastically. I know PS2 and Haunter will be doing pretty much the same route if they come, so it could work with a little coordination. And I might be able to meet up with any East Coasters who are driving this way, if I swing a little south first.

Sounds like fun...I'd probably want to bring my girlfriend, and turn it into a two-day trip to get there with a night camping in the middle, same for the way back.

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.