News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Touched the Cycle World American Flyer Vision

Started by QBS, November 12, 2005, 04:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Went to the International Motorcycle Trade and Assessory Show at the Relient Center In Houston TX yesterday evening.  As always, had an enjoyable time.  The show was co-sponsored by Toyota and Cycle World Magazine.  As you might imagine, Cycle World Magazine had an impressive display area that showcased several noteable bikes including the OW48 Yamaha that King Kenny Roberts won the 1980 World Championship on.  However, the pedistaled centerpiece of the entire display was devoted to our one and only American Flyer Vision!!

There it was in all its flat gray glory for all the world to see with a plaque carrying a reprint of the story that accompanied the bikes' original introduction in the magazine.  Of course, I gave the bike careful scrutiny.  Here's what I dicovered that you might not already have determined from the magazine story.

The bike still has its electric starter.  The carburator is a side draft Mikuni supposedly off a Harley.  The carb mounts in line with the crankshaft and feeds into what appears to be a custom made T type manifold.  The air cleaner mounts on the carb with what appears to be a custom made L fitting.  The air filter faces forward like on so many modified Harleys.  Notice how this leaves the air box space under the tank unoccupied.  This is where the battery lives.  The regulator/rectifier lives under and to the rear of the left foot peg.   Contrary to what the plaque stated, I think the bike is a modified '82 as it has only a single disc.   Didn't get good look at the instrument area so can't comment on that.
All references to Yamaha have been ground off the engine.  The drive line and chassis are 100% V as are the brakes front and rear.  The rear brake backing plate has had several approx. 2" holes drilled around its perimeter.  And, as can be seen in the magazine pictures, the rear sub frame area has been cut off.  The bike looked very much as if it has been driven quite a bit.  The seat showed signs of smooth wear areas.

I spoke to the very nice young woman that was working behind the Cycle World product display counter about the display bike, our bikes in general, and the recent letters that Cycle World has published regarding the V.  I told her that there arn't a lot of us but that we are crazy.  She said that there a lot of groups like us.  Motorcycling being what it is, I'm not surprised.  Cheers.  John 3:16

Blake

whoa..  What?!?

Please someone elaborate.. i've been in the dark the past couple months with school..  is this a custom "chopper" with a vision engine?

I just looked on cycle world.. the show is coming to DC jan 14th.   If its going to be a regular part of the show i'll definately be there taking lots of pictures.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

louthepou

I love the idea of drilling holes for the rear brake to cool down more easily. Any reason I shouldn't give that a try, anyone?

Thanks for the report, QBS,

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Coil Coyle

Lou, your brakes won't work when wet, thats all.

coil

Kevin

the rotors are a stainless alloy, you will burn up many drillbits.Kevin C. 

louthepou

QBS

The drum rear V brake doesn't get used enough to ever get so hot as to be rendered inoperative.  The front braking system is primary.  Cheers.

louthepou

Yeah, but it would match my front rotor!  ;D

(I've drilled it some 10 years ago)

Lou

Sable

I remember the post of this bike when the magazine came out. I still think it looks kinda cool in a "Mad Max" sort of way.
However, the link to the pic is bad on the original post. So, I happen to have saved a copy of the picture. Here it is:

~Sable

OK - I couldn't resist, I lowered the quality of the pic (down to 80.0 KB) so more people can check it out. Did I mention that I kinda like this bike?
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

silicon_toad2000

thanks sable. I saw that pic before but I have been hanging for another sticky beak.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

ps2/bikevision

all i got to say is who is doing the replucia and when do i get to ride it!

Lucky

last time we talked about the bike, most of us thought it was ugly, but to each his own..lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Personally; In the context that this bike presents it, that sure is an ugly tank :P
$00.02
coil

supervision

The thing strikes me as almost being dirt-track     
" border="0

glennw

Just not my style I guess..... :-\
GlennW
Half Mad Max

VisionMeister

My opinion of Cycle World is that the Editor needs to go.
To much showboating of his own bikes and obvious pandering to the custom builders to include such a hack job in the show.
This from the same people that published their dislike or lack of knowledge of the Vision.
How smooth do you think the hack gets through its flat spot?
How well do you think the suspension and brakes work?
How long will its stator last?
If I remember right the bike was built by Jesse James and the article said it was the most fun to ride of the bikes he had in his stable.
What does that say about those other custom cruisers?
The Vision was far from perfect but it is a fun bike and worth owning and riding.
Damn the surge and shaft lurch and fork flex... Full speed ahead.

zore

Can some one scan the original article and the replies?  I'll host them if need be, I just don't get that particular mag.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Junior

Sable-Thanks for posting the pic. Looks like someones bad dream to me. I would have to park this in the back yard and plant hedges around it. Friends might see it and I ride with those guys.

Sable

I don't think this one was built by Jesse James... I had the magazine, but have misplaced it. I tried searching Cycleworld.com, but had no luck.? I, for one like it. I realize it's not everyone's "cup of tea", but I like things that are a little out of the ordinary. All of us have Visions, this one sure is just a little out of the ordinary ;D

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

silicon_toad2000

at least it shows imagination and is not some factory clone. Everything must be modified in some way to change it from the way it left the factory, if not its lame.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.