Radiator Leak

Started by Kiwi_XZ, November 12, 2005, 09:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi_XZ

Hi all.

I have discovered a small leak in my radiator, approx half way down one of the middle cores.  Does anyone know if these can be repaired?

Cheers - Shane
I'll fix it, pass me a bigger hammer!

Lucky

For a radiator shop to rod or recore a radiator is not a big deal, & usually not too expensive.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi_XZ

Thanks for the info, I thought it may have been alloy (a lot more difficult to fix).  I've pulled it out and will take it in to a radiator shop tomorrow.

I have a spare that has come of the parts bike, it's core is full of scale and depositing it all over my worshop bench so I think I'll give that one a birthday as well.

On the up side it's given me a chance to check the valve clearances, all except one exhaust on the front and the back are within limits, one exhaust is .01 mm over and the other .04 mm over.

Next mission is to get the cam lifter tool and deal to those.  I dread to thing what Yamaha in NZ want for one of those.

Thanks for the help.

Shane

louthepou

Hi Shane,

it is possible to change the shims with the good ol' flat screwdrivers method (I've done it a few times), but you have to accept that it's going to take more time, and your nuckles will likely loose a bit of blood in the process.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Kiwi_XZ

Hi all.

The bad news is (according to two independant radiator repair shops I took it to) that the radiator cores are made of an aluminium alloy.  Very difficult to repair and costly to re-core.

My original leak is due to corrosion so will require a re-core, estimate approx $350.00 (approx $US 275.00).  The owner of the second shop I took it to was very good to deal with and pressure checked my spare on the spot, it holds pressure OK and he is going to soak it for a day or two (loosens any deposits) and will flush and recheck.

Due to the cost I'll put the leaking unit away for the expected lotto win in my future.  Apparently the top and bottom tanks and the side frames are reused and a new core and cooling fins fitted.

Cheers - Shane

Lucky

Shane, (un) fortunatly 82's are parted out fairly frequently, here & on Ebay, so if need be you can pick up a used radiator on the cheap.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi_XZ

Hi Lucky.

Thanks for that, I've seen a few on eBay.  I have a spare and should be able to pick up another one locally.  The freight down to New Zealand is a killer.  I just spent $30.00 with FedEx on a stator from Dennis Kirk's.

The bike is an 83 according to the VIN plate, has dual front calipers and the mod'ed airbox etc, the carbs are 82.  I suspect our models down under a closer to the european than the USA.  I see quite a few XZ400's advertised (mostly at wreckers unfortunately) not quite so many XZ550's.  A number of people have commented to me when they see the bike that they have never seen one actually running.

What other differences are there 82 to 83?

Cheers - Shane

Coil Coyle

Kiwi,
       An epoxy putty patch would last for years on an alloy radiator if the surface were carefully brushed clean and dry.

? ? ? ?Also, Would you be able to count the primary drive gear teeth (Crankshaft / Clutch) on one of those 400's?

I'll buy you a warm beer for your trouble.

;)

coil

Any body with the information? I'll buy you a warm beer...

Superfly

Kiwi,

The biggest differences in the 82 & 83's are the Carbs/airbox/gastank/fuelgauge update (83's go to 140 mph on the speedo and added a fuelgauge), the dual front brakes, & updated monoshock.  Fairings on the late 82's with the lower risers and the modified footpegs (set farther back), and Upgraded the exhaust headers.  I am sure I am missing something....
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Kiwi_XZ

Hi Coil.

Sorry, do't currently have access to an XZ400.  Most of my spares came from one but unfortunately it did not have an engine.

Cheers - Shane