News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Late November Rockies!

Started by h2olawyer, November 26, 2005, 01:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Unbelieveable.  The weather here has been warm and dry almost every day this month.  Highs in the upper 50s to low 60s & very little snowfall.  November is normally the second snowiest month of the year along the Front Range of the Rockies.

I took advantage of the weather & went for a 75 mile jaunt through the foothills this afternoon.  Most of the sunnier sections of the ride were warm & the roads were great.  The wind wasn't even blowing!  However, the shady parts had 40 - 45F temps & a fair amount of sand in the corners from the couple small snows that we've had.  Not a day for spirited cornering but just being out on November 24th & not freezing to death was incredible.   ;D 8)

Weather is supposed to turn cold Saturday afternoon & snow by Saturday evening or Sunday morning.  Looks like I'll be finally putting Sta-Bil in the tank, running it through the carbs, changing the oil & generally getting the V ready for winter storage.   :(  Oh well, now it's time to start thinking about hitting the slopes & carving up some powder instead of asphalt.

Winter maintenance projects for this year are a valve adjustment & making a different dashboard for the fairing.  Nice to have a bike that's 'mostly' done!  ;D

Hope those of you who can still ride stay safe & those who've stored their V's don't go too stir crazy before spring comes!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

:'( Got a good 2 inches of snow around my house right now.

Oh well... Hibernation time, forum surfin' time... Stator testin' time...

Drain the carbs... stabil in the tank... battery tender plugged in... bla bla bla...

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Coil Coyle

We got two inches of rain last week.
I changed the oil in the engine and got new tires this morning for my Venture, the "Flying Pig".
With my ride to work ready I've got four Visions to keep me entertained preparing them for next summers rides and the 25 year ride to come.

Have a nice winter, snowbirds, from the Redwood Rain Forest
;)
coil

h2olawyer

Finally got about an inch of snow here Saturday morning.  Had to shovel a little snow since my driveway & front door are north facing & it gets icy if I don't keep it clear.  Living on the dry side of the Rockies can have its advantages.  Steamboat Ski Area got over 7 feet of snow in November & it didn't even start snowing there until the second week of November!  Needless to say, that was a record for November snow.  Sounds like the skiing is getting awesome - conditions that aren't normally seen until Christmas or later.  The towns are looking for places & funding to move the snow from parking lots to.  Normally not a problem until January.

Kind of looking for another project now that my one & only Vision is pretty much to the maintenance stage.  A few small things I want to do to it, but none are time consuming beyond the valve adjustment.  Fork springs and a new dashboard will probably be the extent of the upgrades for this winter.  Think I'm done riding until probably March.  Already miss it more than I have in the past.  Guess that's because I put more miles on this past season than in any single season before.  Got close to 3,000 miles this year & odometer is finally over 10,000.  Riding skills improved as did the V itself with the tapered steering bearings & Avons.  Looks like its time to make ski movies for a few months.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.