News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Gas Tank Repair

Started by Schnurr, November 26, 2005, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnurr

Everyone has mentioned the problem with the low spots rusting through on Vision gas tank.  Everyone has also mentioned the Por-15 system. Is there any resin or filler to fillin and level the low spots where there is not a pet cock, or does the Por-system do that as it coats?  Or thru regular riding and fuel is it no longer a problem?

KCV
Better to have learned than not to have tried

Lucky

The 4 low corners of the tank collect water due to condensation, rain, washing the bike, whatever.? since fuel floats on water, it collects in the corners.?

also, the corners are lower than the petcock so it sits when the bike is off & attacks the metal.? aparently the sloshing of the tank when the bike is running isn't enough to dilute it

Using the POR kit (which comes with cleaner, metal prep, the POR coating, patch material, instructions & a brush for under $40) removes all the rust & permanantly seals the tank.? Stay away from Kreem coating.? you should use Berrymans, Seafoam or other strong carb cleaner once or twice a season in your tank.? these cleaners can destroy the Kreem & clog the petcock & carbs.

www.por-15.com

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

KC- I just did my tank and yes the Por-15 does seems to fill in the low spots some. Even though you pour out any extra por, it does seem to settle some in the low spots.

That did worry me at first, so I took a big glob on a stick, let it dry for a couple of days (I let my tank dry for a week) stuck it in a glass of gas for a couple of days

and it was still hard as a rock when it "sawed" through it with a utility knife
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

I gotta wonder: i've done a few tanks now (keep finding better ones & selling the 'done' ones) and it allways seems like there is barely enough in the kit. i allways buy the motorcycle repair kit...

how is it that you guys are worried about pooling? by the time i'm done my coating is fairly thin...

Also, KCV, a note: NEVER, NEVER shake the can to stir up the POR, you'll introduce air bubbles that severly compromise the coating. stir it instead.

--Lucky

Night Vision

Lucky- I've read your "wonderment" about left over por before.

reading old posts,  seems some do and some don't have left over por

I followed these directions

http://www.prp-porstore.com/POR-15-Tank-Sealer-Instructions.html

and actually had a good amount left over. My tank wasn't that bad (very little corner surface rust, no leaks)

I've also read posts about noodle / popeye arms... on the last step, I just rolled it around till it was coated good and poured it out. I didn't do it for hours though (the instuctions gave suggested times for the other steps)

Maybe you're "su-por-por-ed" and I'm not.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

for something like that, rolling it around 'till it's coated, for me usually isn't. for the por coating, i roll them around probably a half hour or so. can't see me doing it much more than that.