Air filter study

Started by QBS, November 22, 2005, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

I ran across this air filter expose and felt that a lot of us need to study it for future referance.  K&N and Uni don't look too good.  Could be danerious to your Vs' health.   Cheers.  http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Lead_Deficiency

Looks like K&N basicly keep out small birds and large rocks ;D

Lucky

I've seen Arlen's truck at Dunkin Dougnuts..  i'll have to stop & harrass him next time i see it...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

Excellent hard data testing and good reading. Lessens my mild anxiety over my trucks air filter. It's an 02 with just over 61K miles on it. My filter test indicator is right where it was when I bought the truck. When I remove the filter it still looks good with no visable debri on the filter or in the airbox. It is an AC Delco filter.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

VisionMeister

Tests are only as good as they are designed and performed and are meant to demonstarate or prove certain facts.
I would expect the manufacturers standard systems on most modern designed systems are very good and up to the day to day task of performing their job ( especially for work vehicles). Its generally hard to improve on manufacturers standards for the specified task.
In the case of K & N or Uni filters appied to motorcycles the test performed might not be the best indicator for someone wanting higher "performance". These filters are generally advertised as "high performance" or "racing" and so are not designed or manufacturered to the same specifications as oe. Generally there is a trade off to performance and the owner has to be the one to decide what he wants or is willing to risk.
I noticed in this test that they really poored in the particulate matter. It seems like a good test for a work truck but probably represents more dirt in one test than your bike would see in its lifetime. Unless its a dirt bike.
There was no mention about how the filters performed relative to the specific claims of the manufacturers. Although general marketing hype of the world's "best" filter are
just unqualified hype.

zore

The fact is, to get more flow, you have to allow more air thru, indoing so you let more dirt in.   I've had a k&n on all my vehicles.  I've never had a vehicle die do to having one.  I have also never heard of an engine expiring due to k&n filter.  My truck has had one on it all it's life and it's at 135000 miles.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900