Another non starter!

Started by simcha, December 13, 2005, 04:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simcha

OK guys see if you can give me some idea where to look for this problem.

I bought the XZ a month back, its been standing at least 2 years. I put a new battery on, changed the oil, cranked her over without the engine run switch on. engine turned over fine and oil pressure light went out. Checked the spark at the plug next, weak but something there ( also discharged through my hand even after I had stopped turning the engine over, is this normal?). Refitted the plugs and caps and put some petrol in the tank. Tried to start, nothing. Removed the tank and poured a small amount of petrol down each carb. Tried again and it fired a few times then nothing, except a very loud back fire! question is, does the fuel tap have to be in a certain position? I have it so that the petrol flows from the tank when removing the pipe, but what does the other (vacuum?) pipe do?
Where do I go next?
Electrics, if so where.
Or fuel system, maybe the fuel pump?
Or give up for a while and go have a few beers? ;D

Evan

I am in a similar boat, will answer what I know -- vacuum tube is what "turns-on" the fuel in the ON and RES position.  PRI position bipasses the vacuum valve, but only seems to work if you have a gallon or three in the tank.  I have had a similar experience, and will be rebuilding the carb/dipping them before I try to start again.

Superfly

I have used "starting fluid" when trying to get them to catch after a long sleep.  Make sure you have a fully charged battery, and I have even jumped one off of a (non-running) car to give the spark some punch.  Spark/Gas/Compression is all that is needed!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

MotorPlow

How did you "cranked her over without the engine run switch on"? If the switch is in the Stop or Off position, when you hit the starter button, it should do absolutely nothing.

In any event, an extensive carb cleaning would be a good place to start.

Tiger

You will have to clean the carb's out yorky,other wise she will never run or run right.Also make sure that there is no crap in the tank and change the fuel filter,if you have one,if not put one in line.I went thro' the same thing.John
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

simcha

Motorplow,
What do you mean should do nothing? Surely the engine will turn over, just no spark? Either way at the moment it will turn over no matter what position the switch is in.

Evan

That's the response I get: RUN + START = bike turns over, OFF + START = nada.

MotorPlow

I can only say what happens on my bike...
If my shut off switch is in the OFF position and the key is on, when I push the start button absolutely nothing will happen (will not turn over, will not click, nothing, as if the ignition is seperated from the rest of the electrical system). If the shut off switch is in the RUN position and the key is on and I hit the start button, the bike will start. This is the way it has always been, I am assuming this is how it is supposed to work.

simcha

Just been and checked whats happens. It does turn the engine over no matter what the position of the engine kill switch. I am not saying this is right. But this is as it is 100% sure. Thinking about it all the bikes I have had going back to the 80,s (although not for a while) were like this,...... I think. Seems to be more devices on this bike stopping you from starting it than I can remember.
I never needed a side stand switch because I always remembered. I never needed the clutch in to start it either, cos I always did anyway. And I am sure I did not need one on the engine kill switch to stop it turning over, why for Gods sake! Whats it going to do, nothing! It is useful tho to be able to turn the engine over without starting it sometimes! Although it seems that plenty of time is spent cranking the engine over without them starting anyway!
I will look into it further tho, maybe the UK bikes are different? I cannot see a side stand switch either on both of the bikes I have although I guess they could have been removed sometime in the past.

Lucky

I have a thought:
the kill switch is exactly that, off kills the bike & it shouldn't crank, i very much doubt it being a UK bike matters.  it is a safety item (shut the bike off incase you go down & there is fuel spilling out, etc.)

now, if sometime in the past the kill switch or something else failed, it may have been rewired or bypassed.

since the bike should not turn over with the switch in the off position, there MUST be a shorted/spliced/ jumped connection SOMEWHERE

IF this is the case & it was bypassed, then perhaps it should START (not just crank over) in EITHER position, & the fact that it will only crank in one position is a symptom that the 'rewire' has failed... a bad splice or solder joint perhaps.

if you think there is some validity to my theory you might want to check it out bu opening up the switch & looking for cut wires or splices that don't look "factory"  also check the side safety relay located behind the TCI. look for cut wires, spliced wires OR A JUMPER wire.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Unquestionably, the kill rocker switch completely disables both the ignition and the starter motor curcuits.  Any other functional scenerio is due to system alterations.  However, in my early days, I had a brand new CB350 Honda whose rocker kill switch only killed the ignition system.  The bike would crank until the battery was gone and still not start.  I'm sure many a CB350 was autopsied in search of a gremlin that only existed in the head of its hopeful operator.  If you have to ask me how I know, then you obviously don't understand.  Cheers.