News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Shim clearances & Fuel requirement

Started by Maans, December 08, 2005, 04:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maans

My first question is which valve clearances are the correct. The clearances given in the Heyns manual or in the oem service manual. I have just finished doing mine according to the Heyns manual specifications when I noticed the once in the oem service manual is different.

Secondly I stay in South Africa and have been using normal leaded fuel in my vision but as of next year leaded fuel will no longer be available here. Is the vision able to run on unleaded fuel without any damage to the head or valves? Please advise.

silicon_toad2000

check lucky website
xz550.com
for the valve clearance issue, or search the posts here, i remeber that issue came up a while ago.

As for the fuel, like they say oils aint oils. You'll have to experiment with fuels in your area and see which fuel your V likes. I try and use high octane with a valve saver or lead substitute additive when I can afford it. but sometimes the budget is a bit tight so all I can afford is standard fuel, she runs ok, but she runs better with the good stuff.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lucky

I believe the Haynes manual is correct, but i've done mine on the Yamaha one & it was fine..

all we have here in the U.S. is unleaded. the valve seats are hardened, so nothing to worry about.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Have used the cheapest unleaded regular I could find for the last 21 years and 88k miles.  The heads have never been off and the bikes runs like new.  Just my experiance.  Vs are very tough and forgiving.  Cheers.

louthepou

We've had only unleaded here in Canada for decades; my Vision never used anything else, and all is fine (fuel and engine wise, anyway)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Maans

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I will be using unleaded then.