News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

How well is your POR tank liner doing?

Started by vavision, January 06, 2006, 11:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

I have a guy at another forum I visit totalmotorcycle.com who says that POR will break down after a year and flake off slowly clogging up your fuel filter. Has anyone here had this problem?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

Blake

Kreem does that.

I can personally attest to that  :(

So far the concensus is that Por does not flake off but actually stands up pretty well for many years.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

vavision

That's what I thought. I have a roll on truck bed liner in my jeep that using POR as the main component (well that and chopped up auto tires) and it's held up amazingly to things that I'm ashamed to admit to. Do you think the people that have problems just didn't let it dry?

Superfly

I do.  Just like everything else on this bike... you can not rush it!  I have done 3 tanks with Por-15, and have never had a problem with them.  And when the instructions say make sure the tank is "bone dry".. they mean it.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

Va, POR says that the ONLY thing that affects POR-15 is sunlight (UV rays) how is your beadliner holding up? did you top coat it with someting else to protect that?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kenny

I have done three tanks with POR  one is 5 years old & no problems. Follow the Kit instructions & as they say be sure the tank interior is dry. A hair dryer works great for this.
    Just about all the airliners flying today use a product similar ,called PRC  it seals all joints & boltholes in the wing tanks,centertanks & trimtanks. Some leaks occure after 20 or 30 thousand hrs (-60 to +100 degrees) you'd leak too!
I haven't seen any that's deteriorated yet and no signs of it in the fuel filters.
                   Cheers Ken S 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

vavision

Quote from: Lucky on January 06, 2006, 02:19:12 PM
Va, POR says that the ONLY thing that affects POR-15 is sunlight (UV rays) how is your beadliner holding up? did you top coat it with someting else to protect that?

The stuff in the jeep holds up like you woldn't believe. IT was also worth tearing the jeep apart to get rid of all those torx bolts and putting in nice hex heads.

don_vanecek

I put "Kreem" in my gas tank back in 1986.  Carefully followed the instructions. Drove my Vision till 1994, the bike then sat for 10 years.  When I took the gas tank off last year to clean it out, I found no problems. I have always however kept an inline fuel filter on the bike just for added insurance.

Yes the bike was back on the road this summer and I sure have enjoyed riding it again! (I'm sorta of new to you guys but I was RoV member #179 back in the mid 80's).

Don V.

Lucky

Don. the problem we found with Kreem is that if you use stronger carb cleaners in the tank Such as Berrymans or Seafoam, they will attack the vinal like coating of the Kreem.

We started reccomending those cleaners (and the fuel injector cleaner versions work best) after having clogging problems in the carbs even after dipping them.  it turns out that dipping the carbs would get them really clean & working well, but in some cases would leave scale in the tinyist of passages, usually in the pilot or main circuits.  these would flake off under the vibration of the engine & cause problems.  adding the Berrymans to the tank would clear up these cloggs usually within a tank or so.

Unfortunatly a couple of members discoverd that they will also deteriorate the Kreem & massivly clogg the carbs.

in a search for an alternative coating, several members had excellent results with POR-15.  i emailed their tech support and asked if the cleaners mentioned would harm the POR too.  they actually CALLED me back & had me send them some Berrymans, tested it & CALLED me back again with the results. (POR isn't affected by what basicly is industrial strength paint remover.)

so, if you already have the KREEM lining & don't want to go thru the pain of removing it (POR has a kit for this too) then stick with it & just be cautious about what cleaners you use in your tank.

EVERY Vision should have a fuel filter installed.

Welcome home # 179  ;D  those numbers are a source of pride huh? (I don't have one  :(  ) lol

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

don_vanecek

Thanks for the info-I guess I have been lucky and have stayed away from putting anything other then premium gas in my bike all these years. Gee and I thought I would never have to mess with my gas tank again!

Just alittle about my bike, bought it new (a silver 1982) in 1984.  Had to solve the usual carborator problems of cleaning and lag. I use a system of restricter plates as designed by a man named Andrew Biehle from RoV in 1986 along with some jetting changes to solve my Vision lag. Rode the bike to 20,000 miles by 1994, then like everyone elses Vision the starter and stator went out. Let me tell you if it wasn't for the current RoV information on the web site the Vision would be in the junk yard. I would not have attemped to repair and fix my bike without all the useful advise and knowlegde on the Vision site.  Had my kids get me a nice true motorcycle jacket for xmas (with armor) looking forward to next riding season!  (Yes, I purchased a new helment, did not attempt to reuse what would have been a 15 year old helment when I got the Vision running again)!