News:

Main Menu

Oil Temperature

Started by Glyn, January 11, 2006, 02:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Happy new year all!

Nearly finished the oil cooler mod and would be keen to monitor the oil temp to see if it has been reduced. For starters I'm not sure what to use to measure it, or where to put a sensor? Secondly, what would a happy/safe oil temp be to keep that stator happy?

I've bought a good s/h XV920 unit off e bay and note that all the stators off that model look in good nick and not black and toasted. Do they run at lower temps???

Has anyone logged their min/max oil temps after the bike is well warmed up - and how does the XZ compare to other bikes? How come my old SRX 250 is air cooled and gets stinking hot on the cases but these don't seem to blow stators?

Cheers and all have a good 06.

Lucky

if you can be careful not to disrupt oil flow you have 3 choices of where to put a temp sensor. the first & i think best location would be where the oil pressure switch now resides, underneath by the drain bolt.  the other 2 locations are inline to & from the cooler.

a combination of before & after would give you the most info.

Rick G. measured oil temps from, i believe the filler hole, a year or 2 ago.  try a Forum search & see what you find.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kiwi_XZ

I would suggest the simplest would be a T joint at the current oil pressure switch location.  These are available at most auto accessories shops and allow you to run both the LOP switch and and oil temp sensor.  Just make sure you can fit it all in down there.

The best thing about this location is that it should be measuring oil temp at it hotest point.
I'll fix it, pass me a bigger hammer!