Humph, 70 Degrees Today

Started by MotorPlow, January 09, 2006, 06:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

It started out being a great day...
Woke up this morning and the temperature was already up to 50oF.? My thinking, what a great day for a ride... Nope, The spousal unit had stuff that needed to be done that required the minivan. Okay, get all that stuff done and I decide, let me pull the front wheel and change the front axel and see what I get with the front end wobble.

1st I pull the front wheel. I then pull the bearing seals and clean up all the excessive grease in there and repack the wheel bearings. I notice on the exploded view of the front wheel in the Haynes Manual, they show 3 wheel bearings. Well, I have had this wheel off enough times to know that's not right. Maybe there is some type of bearing in the Speedometer gearing. So I pop the speedo gear apart. Nope no 3rd bearing in there. Clean up all the extra grease in there and notice a couple of places where there is rust in the splines. Decrease the entire thing, break out the emory cloth and clean up the rust. Re-grease everything and pop it back together.

Okay, wheel bearings regreased, speedometer gear cleaned and regreased... Lets put the wheel back on and hopefully still have time to atleast ride the bike to work.? Still don't know why the Haynes Manual shows an extra wheel bearing in their exploded view of the front wheel.

Put it all back together, with the replacement axel, spin the front wheel.... Wow. This thing glides beautifully. The wheel spun easily before without any problems.? Now, it's almost like it floats. Spin the wheel and I got tired of waiting for it to stop, had to use my hand as a brake and stop the wheel from spinning... Beautiful!

Clean everything up, put everything away, get changed for work... Push the bike out into the yard, fire it up. Fires up on the 1st push of the starter. Go back in as the bike warms up and get all my gear on. Outside now, swing a leg over the bike, drop it in 1st gear and it stalls. No big deal, just hit the starter again... Click, click click from the starter solinoid.

Crap!

Reach under the seat rail and hit the starter while I am feeling the solinoid, yup it's the starter solinoid clicking, wait what was that... The starter tried to turn.? Humph, the battery is fully charged. That was a weird sound the starter made.... Click, glub, glub,, click, click, click.

Roll the bike back in the basement, strip out of my gear and go to work in the minivan.? Next day off, pull the starter and swap it with the one from the spare engine.? It really did start out as a beautiful day.

Blake

Oh geeze.

So close..

the vision Gods must not be too happy in the blue ridge.

I was trying to head back to blacksburg today so i could get a ride in, but by the time i could leave around 2.. would have taken me 6+ hours with the DC rush hours traffic.

needless to say i'll be leaving promptly at 9am tomorrow morning  ;D

maybe if you get everything working right ill see you on the roads.  Think i might take a trip down rt 8.  That is.. assuming the bike will start right up :-\

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Mutt

Oh man, push start that sucker to test your warbly situation. Maybe it'll make you feel better if its gone. It'll make working on the starter a lot easier too. Of course if the warble is still there it may make you want to sell it!  :-X

Anything I can do to help...... ::)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Superfly

Great weather here today... brought the bike in to work, (Blue Bike, just finished a top end rebuild, and still breaking her in)? ?Beautiful day for a ride!  Do not see how the "Northerners" do it...

I forgot how loud those Mac's are!? All you could hear is the sounds of car alarms going off as I passed..... what a good day!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

MotorPlow

Quote from: Mutt on January 10, 2006, 12:08:40 PM

Mutt

Yeah, you can let me borrow your bike so I can meet Blake on Rt. 8 ~ Rt. 8 from Floyd to Rt.40 in Woolwine has been nicknamed "The Mini Dragon" and they recently repaved parts of it :)

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on January 10, 2006, 01:57:51 PM
Quote from: Mutt on January 10, 2006, 12:08:40 PM

Mutt

Yeah, you can let me borrow your bike so I can meet Blake on Rt. 8 ~ Rt. 8 from Floyd to Rt.40 in Woolwine has been nicknamed "The Mini Dragon" and they recently repaved parts of it :)

I can remember taking Rt. 40 closer to the east coast of Va. It was a twisty road although it was really flat. I'll bet 40 gets a lot more interesting over your way. I'm going to find out in April. Who knows, maybe I'll make a dry run that way before hand.

Right now I have my fairing and bars off so I can make some adjustments to the cabling and wires. I have a lot of slack I have to do something with since I switched to the short riser bars. The cabling wants to catch on the dash board when returning from near lock. Of course the wiring connections previously held in the light bucket gets a new box mounting outside the light because they were all too short.

Mutt

MotorPlow

Yup. My bag of wires behind the headlight under the fairing started to fall apart the last time I had the front end off. Next time I take the front end off, I gotta find something new to use as a bag for the wires.

What cables do you need? Measure the ones you have. The shorter risers use shorter cables.  Measure them and let me see what I have, maybe we can trade. I keep the extra cables around, just in case, so... My emergency cables don't make much of a difference what length they are.  Lemme know.

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on January 10, 2006, 04:20:59 PM
Yup. My bag of wires behind the headlight under the fairing started to fall apart the last time I had the front end off. Next time I take the front end off, I gotta find something new to use as a bag for the wires.

What cables do you need? Measure the ones you have. The shorter risers use shorter cables.? Measure them and let me see what I have, maybe we can trade. I keep the extra cables around, just in case, so... My emergency cables don't make much of a difference what length they are.? Lemme know.

Thanks. I found a hobby box from Radio Shack that I'm going to mount. I'm going to make a filter of sorts underneath so that the enclosure can breath and not build up condensation. I'll take pictures and see how you like it. The hobby box is made of tough plastic so it should hold up well.

Mutt

MotorPlow

The stock "box" is more like a rubber sack.

Blake

hey mutt

They actually make vents for those boxes.  You can get them in lots of sizes, all you do is drill a hole and pop in the "vent"  they also have them with filters to keep the critters out.  Just make sure you face the vent backwards so you wont get and of the water kick up from underneath.  Probably about 1 buck a piece i'd suppose.

Never thought of using those hobby boxes.  I use those for everything.  great idea!.  my former "sac" was a couple of plastic walmart bags wrapped with kitchen type plastic wrap..and then with trusty ole' duct tape  ;D  certainly got the job done..  at least it kept theives away.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

YellowJacket!

its been in the stinkin 60's almost all winter here.  We should have had at least one decent snow down here by now. Drat, I miss Rhode Island.
And to think...I winterized my bike and put it up for the winter.  Supposed to be in the mid 60's tomorrow.  Think I'll break her out and go for a ride.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

We've been the same along the Front Range of the Rockies.  Record snows in the NW quarter of the state but nothing except wind & warm (50s & 60s F) here -- until Thursday 1/19.  Got about an inch and a half of snow.  First since November!

I had winterized mine, but have since put about 200 miles on it between Christmas and a couple weeks ago.  I keep putting Sta-Bil in the tank when I refuel just in case the weather finally decides to become more winter-like.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.