EBAY FORK BRACES - NEW LISTING

Started by kiawrench, February 01, 2006, 04:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

My problem is no longer the front end, but I found that my rear shock has gotten progressively sloppy. I had it set on the firmest setting and dropped it one notch. I am going to go back to the firmest setting. However, I don't think that switching it one notch should cause the shock to be totally useless.

Superfly

As far a front ends go, I have 2 82's that I ride constantly,

Blackie - 83 front end, progressive springs, taperd roller bearings, a fox rear shock, and a fork brace - never had a handleing problem, Tears up mountains great.

Blue bike -? ?Stock 82 front end, stock fork springs, stock shock, Stock ball bearings, fork brace - Did not handle well at all, front end was like a pogo stick on steroids on hard corners.? ?Come to find out that Forks needed to be rebuilt, and the ball bearings were shot.?

23 year old forks might need some maintenance, or a rebuild.? Progressive springs are a must, tapered roller bearings are a must.? ?I have noticed major handeling differences between the 2 bikes.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: QBS on February 01, 2006, 07:47:20 PM
With all due respect and no aggression intended toward anyone, I feel that I must take contrarian position regarding the need/nessessity of a fork brace...

I rode my '83 for many many miles, carrying all levels of weight, at all levels of speed, on roads that ranged from little more than cow trails to Interstate Highways, and never even once felt the need for stability improvement. ?
?Whats' the group got to say? ?Cheers.

QBS,
      Are there any twistie roads in Texas?
      I personally have only seen a need for a fork brace when hitting dips in the road while either countersteering out to increase my lean angle in a decreasing radius turn or when countersteering in while bringing the bike back upright exiting a turn. Under conditions like this the fork twists at a particular resonant frequency and amplitude.
     A fork brace increases the resonant frequency of the forks in twist and decreases the amplitude of the twist. (a higher note)
     The transient change in the direction the wheel is steering will be less angle change for a shorter period of time.
     A fork brace with a poor fit could cause extra friction in your suspension travel. This might give you a greater wobble when hitting dips when the bike is verticle just because your body is absorbing more of a jolt and your reaction to it is not perfectly symetrical.

$00.02   ;)
coil

Cdnlouie

I would not ride my 82 Vision without a fork brace and probably get rid of the bike if I could not get one.  I noticed a difference in balance feeling, the moment the bike moved from a start.  Something was really different in the front fork movement right off the line.  It continued to positively affect handling at all speeds.

Now, I do have too much sag in my front end and my bike did not have many miles on it when I first got it.  I have not corrected the sag (yet) but just slapped on a fork brace and voila, handling problems solved.  The front springs are real soft which does seriously affect handling and even heavier oil cannot compensate.  If the front end loads up while braking in corners it can really make turning much more difficult.  High speed twisties can also load up the front and no doubt contribute to wobble feel so the fork brace directly or indirectly just seems to make a big difference on the 82.

If I am remembering correctly I think I read that the 83 has a slightly altered rake from the 82 (not sure what that ends up doing) and especially the extras of air pressure which can stiffen up the front end which no doubt would greatly help the 82 issue.  The 83 is no doubt a very different handling situation as attested here (adding in the change in rear shock length, etc.) and therefore not directly comparable to the 82.

Hopefully, the guys who want a fork brace will get one in due time and in the absence of the brace some fork tweaking is a good idea.

Keeping our eyes open for braces,

Louie

Kenny

Hi,  F Y I
     I have one more "Three piece Daytona Fork Brace" that I will be placing on the ROV auction site in the near future & as  mentioned earlier the proceeds will go towards this site.
   As soon as the 1st one is in the mail to Coil I will list it. 
                      Ride Safe Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Cdnlouie

Way to go Kenny!  You are making some real happy campers.  Hopefully we can connect one of these days.

Spring is coming,

Tiger

:) How about the OnROV Spring Ride  ;D :D ;) 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!