News:

Main Menu

Motorcycle safety ad

Started by vavision, February 01, 2006, 09:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorRex

Coil, I second that! Weave, make them scared and they will pay attention!  If you wiggle the bike around you won't look "like a light post on the side of the road" (I want to hit that kid with a car so bad!) 

Also, I've been thinking about low wattage flashing lights for the front.  Maybe little LED's?  If they aren't colored I don't think you can be ticketed and if they aren't bright enough to light the road they won't hurt my vision.  I think I'd be walking right now, and continuing to brag about my perfect "new" vision if I had made my lights more conspicuous.

Heck, I'll rock illegal lights on the front, I couldn't care less about a baby ticket if it keeps me alive!  Plus I think I could talk my way out, I have a pretty good story about the need to stick out at night!

Bottom line,
- If you don't stand out, they won't see you.
- They ARE trying to hit you.
- In a collision, YOU WILL LOOSE (I have pictures to prove it!).
- Dress for the crash.  Save your own life.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

d0n

The only motorcycle accident I've ever been in was because I trusted the turnsignal of the woman driver in the car ahead of me.

I was following her on my gsxr1100. It was a four lane city street with a 30mph limit. She's in the left lane doing 30mph... basically holding up traffic which usually travels at 40-45mph here. I'm behind her.

She finally puts on her right turnsignal and veers to the right slightly. I juice it and start to go by her on the left before she's moved entirely out of the left lane. Not a smart move but I wanted to get by her and get moving.

As soon as my front wheel gets even with her rear bumper, she turns hard LEFT with her right turn signal still flashing! At this point, she's slowing and I'm speeding up. A collision is unavoidable. Instinctively, I pulled my right foot and leg up as high as I could so it wouldn't be in the impact zone. The right side of my bike hit the left side of her jeep cherokee. Luckily, she has the presence of mind to stop when she felt the collision. Had she continued her left turn I would have t-boned her and been thrown off the bike.

My bike slid down the side of her jeep and then shot me off the road on the left. I had one road lane width to think about what to do next. I was doing about 40-45mph and had to pull my front wheel up at the right time so my bike and I wouldn't endo over the 6 inch tall curb. It sort of happened in slo-motion. I got the front wheel over the curb and onto the sidewalk but knew I had to just hang on when the rear wheel hit the curb dead on.

I clenched my knees on the tank, leaned forward and held on. I was almost thrown over the bars but held myself on the bike. Then, I careened between huge oak trees, across the wet lawns of 3 homes (parallel to the road) and finally ended up getting stopped in a hedge right in front of the 3rd homes livingroom picture window. I stayed upright the whole time.  :o

Witnesses stopped and chastised the 58 yro woman driver for using the wrong turn signal. She didn't even know she'd done it. If witnesses hadn't stopped and told her what she did, it would have been my word against hers. She couldn't believe she used the wrong signal!

Checking the bike over I saw the damage... the rear brake foot lever was bent around like a pretzel and now pointing back, the exhaust can was ripped off the pipe, the swingarm was knicked from where the can pushed into it, the rear wheel was broken where it hit the curb and a bunch of other little things.

My only injury was the big toe on my right foot hurt. Not broken or bleeding but it felt like someone had stomped on it.

The womans insurance company paid $3700 to repair my bike.

From that day on I never trust turn signals of anyone near me. If I'm following someone and they signal left or right, I will not scoot around them before they fully make their turn. Never trust anyones turnsignals. They aren't necessarily indicating the direction the vehicle will turn.

zore

They need to make this message in a way that deer can understand it.  Thank you.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Paul_Jungnitsch

If someone is driving under the speed limit here I treat them as an 'erratic', like they might do anything at anytime. Some study was on the other day saying that older people lose their ability to concentrate, so when driving they are only partly there, ergo all the sudden decisions, odd signaling, lack of consideration of the traffic around them. Never mind the ones driving with actual altzheimers or dementia:

"What are the warning signs that a person with dementia should stop driving?

Early warning signs of driving problems include: incorrect signaling; trouble navigating turns; moving in the wrong lane; confusion at exits; parking inappropriately; hitting curbs; driving at inappropriate speeds; delayed responses to unexpected situations; not anticipating dangerous situations; increased agitation or irritation when driving; scrapes or dents on car, garage or mailbox; getting lost in familiar places; near misses; ticketed moving violations or warnings; car accident; confusing the brake and gas pedals; or stopping in traffic for no apparent reason."

http://www.thehartford.com/alzheimers/faq.html

Mutt

Quote from: zore on October 23, 2006, 11:54:56 AM
They need to make this message in a way that deer can understand it.  Thank you.

LMAO... :D  :D  Sorry Zore, I know that was straight from your heart! Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are!

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Mutt

Quote from: Paul_Jungnitsch on October 24, 2006, 12:18:09 AM
"What are the warning signs that a person with dementia should stop driving?

Early warning signs of driving problems include: incorrect signaling; trouble navigating turns; moving in the wrong lane; confusion at exits; parking inappropriately; hitting curbs; driving at inappropriate speeds; delayed responses to unexpected situations; not anticipating dangerous situations; increased agitation or irritation when driving; scrapes or dents on car, garage or mailbox; getting lost in familiar places; near misses; ticketed moving violations or warnings; car accident; confusing the brake and gas pedals; or stopping in traffic for no apparent reason."

http://www.thehartford.com/alzheimers/faq.html

Don't forget..driving the wrong way on the interstate!

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Paul_Jungnitsch

Quote from: Mutt on October 24, 2006, 01:50:16 AM
Don't forget..driving the wrong way on the interstate!

That's probably one of the late signs. The early list was bad enough, hard to imagine what the late list could be.

One of the problems with the aging population is that the proportion of older drivers is going up and up, and they just keep driving until they decide to quit or they kill somebody. Saskatoon has a lot of retired drivers and the people on the road seemed to be either a) old, driving slow, not signaling, etc, or b) pissed off by a) and driving like maniacs.

Coil Coyle

If older drivers were required to only ride motorcycles they would keep their mind longer, and die when appropriate.. ;D

Or, as Ron McCoy once pointed out, " If all steering wheels had a dagger sticking straight out of the center and seatbelts were not allowed, there would be far less car wrecks. "

;D

coil

Paul_Jungnitsch

Another Motorcycle Safety Ad....this one with more nekkid.

http://www.pleaselooktwice.com/videos/56large.wmv

NGNOTT

(No gear none of the time)

h2olawyer

Good humor for a serious subject.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.