News:

Main Menu

Startup smoke??

Started by DaWiseWun, January 03, 2005, 02:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaWiseWun

When I start my bike, I notice that there is white smoke comming from the exhaust. ?It goes away when I put it in gear and take off, so i'm assuming it's just because it isn't warmed up yet.  I did read the post a few previous to this, but Glyn's was black, mine's white. Coolant?  If so, why?

Is this normal??

Thanks,
Josh
"Of course there's a lot of knowledge in universities; the freshmen bring a little in; the seniors don't take much away, so knowledge sort of accumulates.

silicon_toad2000

Usually a puff of smoke at startup is a valvestem seal. As the bike sits overnight some of the oil from the top of the heads may seep through a worn seal and sit around the valve seat or on top of the piston. When the bike is running the quantities of oil per stroke that get through isnt enough to produce smoke, but overnight, enough oil gets through to cause smoke on startup.
This should not cause any smoke if you leave the bike for half an hour and restart it.
If its smoking at times other than after the first startup after a long time sitting, it could be another problem.
If it is the valvestem seals, i wouldn't worry about it but start making enquiries about new seals and how to go about replacing them. If you're brave you can replace them without taking the heads off, but that may be frowned upon.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.