Bike stalls at stoplights

Started by comatt, February 27, 2006, 11:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

You said you added a fuel filter.  Did you use the cone filter?  Don't use a automotive filter, because it will also cause the problems you describe.

Have you tried to run the bike with the YICS hoses capped?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

H20, i would like to suggest that you turn the screws out 1/8 turn from center, instead of in as you reccomend, here's why:

you probably won't feel much "seat of the pant's" difference, but running the carbs slightly rich keeps the exhaust valves cooler. no one wants a burned valve.  after inital tuning, some Visions will stumble, then turn in 1/8 at at time 'till the stumble is gone (hot) as needed.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Lucky - I ended up turning mine in the 1/8 turn to eliminate the final bit of stumble.  Could have something to do with higher elevation.  But you are right about trying to run as rich as possible without the stumble, it will help protect the exhaust valves - leaner burns hotter.  Also, the fuel grades at higher altitudes are lower than most everywhere else.  Regular is only 85 octane here.  So carb adjustments up here at 5,000+ ft. will probably be a bit different than closer to sea level.

comatt - start with the front carb at 2.5 - 2.75 turns out & the rear at 4.5 turns.  Make sure you don't tighten the screws down very tight - just let them make contact, then back them out the requisite # of turns.  It should get you somewhere close unless there are still carb issues.  Set the idle at 1300 - 1500 and adjust the screws at idle.  Do not disable the YICS for this - unless it is leaking.  Try turning the screw richer (left) first and then back to lean (right).  It should be less than a full turn between rich & lean stumbles.  Mine is a little more than 1/2 turn.  Every bike will likely have its own personality.  I know I posted the jet sizes I'm running - can't remember exactly at the moment - but they are the ones the dealer in Steamboat (6,900 ft.) installed before I bought the V from him in 1984.

Hope the weather is nice next week & we don't get snow between now & then.  If we do, I could drive down instead - just looking for an excuse to get out on a longer ride.  Need to get in some decent rides in case I go to the CROV ride in April.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Matt,
When you cut the length of the fuel & vacuum line's where these old(er) lines? ??? If so replace them. I would also suggest that you replace the spark plug leads AND plug cap's, they always get over-looked and can, in time, cause similar problem's.

? ? ? ? ? ? ?
TIGER
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

comatt

I added a cone filter, it fits nicely  between the carbs.  I also replaced all (or most) of the fuel and vacuum hoses on the bike.  I have not changed the wires yet, I should.  I will try to get new wires before I start messing with the adjustments.  8mm wires are the best right?  The spark plugs are new and gapped. 

Thanks for the info H20, I really had no idea on the turns between stumble and I have never really messed with carb adjustments on other bikes I have owned, they just seemed to run right.  If I get it running and you still want to take a ride, it would be nice to see another Vision and I wouldn't mind someone with experience taking a look at mine.  I've talked to a couple of shops in town and they really don't even want me to bring it on the property.  I guess they are just afraid of some real work and fun. 

Also, I know of one junk yard in Denver that has about 5 Visions if you need some parts! 

Kiwi_XZ

It sounds like a vacuum system leak, engine idles at high RPM (2500) but will die at idle.  Check all your vacuum hoses including the YICs box.  Mine leaked from one side to the other.  Instructions for repair are on Lucky's site.
I'll fix it, pass me a bigger hammer!

Lucky

You just might be a Visionary if:

Quote from: comatt on March 01, 2006, 09:58:37 AM
I've talked to a couple of shops in town and they really don't even want me to bring it on the property.

comatt

I might be a Visionary if ... my starter gets filled with oil.

At least that's what it seems, press the starter button and the starter relay clicks and the starter does not turn.  It has happened before, but for just a few pushes of the starter button then the starter would turn and the bike would start.

I guess I will have to dig in to that and figure out my fuel issues later.  Maybe they are related, won't that be great!

If I have to drain the oil to replace the starter seal I figure I will check out the stator.  I have a suspicion that the stator may have been replaced. 

Will I be able to tell by looking at it if it is a newer Electolux stator?  And can I reuse the old gasket for the stator cover?

Thanks

Night Vision

comatt- don't assume that just because a starter is intermittent, that it is filled with oil and that's your (only) problem.

I just cracked a starter open that turned over very nicely and was very nicely filled with oil!

In fact, it worked so nice I wasn't going to mess with it. But I was bored and (since I'm getting paid in beers) decided to check it.

Sludge, oil... couldn't even see the brushes... but like I said, it worked great.

..... go ahead and pull the starter, change the seal if starter is filled with oil (let me know if you need a seal) check/clean brushes......

BUT.... be prepared to address other sources of intermittent starter symptoms......

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

MotorPlow

Quote from: comatt on March 02, 2006, 10:03:22 PM
Will I be able to tell by looking at it if it is a newer Electolux stator?? And can I reuse the old gasket for the stator cover?

If the Stator had been previuosly changed, most likely, the heads of the screws holding it in will be slightly deformed, if not completely stripped.

h2olawyer

Quote from: comatt on March 02, 2006, 10:03:22 PM
And can I reuse the old gasket for the stator cover?

The stator cover gasket is probably not reusable.  Cometic makes reusable ones, and they've only recently become available to us.  The part #s for Vision gaskets are not yet listed on their website.

www.cometic.com/index.htm

Part #s are: (Thanks tdub!)

Quote from: Tdub on January 18, 2006, 10:26:30 PM
Jeesh, already!! ::)
OK here are the part numbers!!!
Clutch cover gasket...EC1063018AF
Generator cover gasket...EC1062018AF
Tensioner gasket...EC1061018AF
tdub

Also, you probably won't be able to tell if it is an Electrosport, Rick's or factory Yamaha replacement.  I know our stators suck, but I believe Electrolux makes vacuums, not stators.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kiawrench

H2O,,, electrolux---- electrex,,, same same,, both build stuff that sux.   sorry, my own experience with them points me that way. As for a stator, if ever i need one again, will be from Ricks, better warrany, better built and service is better too. my only use for electrex was to get thier flow charts.   guess one bad apple can spoil a barrel .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

My stator from Rick's lasted 13 months.  Now running an Electrosoprt.  Noticed, however, that the Electrosport unit was made in China.  Last one of those for me.  When I need a new one, I'll try to get it rewound locally.  Don't think anybody makes one worth what they charge for them.  May have to go the oil cooler route to make them last in these bikes.

H2O

Lucky

not
Quote from: h2olawyer on March 05, 2006, 01:53:05 AM
May have to go the oil cooler route to make them last in these bikes.

not 'till i figure out what's wrong with Glyns cooler...

Superfly

Ricks stator, 27k miles and still chargin' strong (knock on wood)  Just re-sealed the stator last weekend, and when the case was off, I was looking at the stator, and is still looked in great shape.  Either I got a great stator, or moving the R/R to the outside of the bike, and adding a ground wire from the RR to the battery neg. helped alot.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Paul_Jungnitsch

Dunno if what makes the stators go has ever been really figured out. My last yamaha stator went ~31,000 miles and was still good when the engine blew. Never did any modifications to the bikes charging system at all.

The locally rewound one that went before, OTOH, might have made 5000 miles, if that.

comatt

Well I bought a new multimeter and checked the charging system with the fault finding diagram.  I got 14.8V at 5000 rpms, so I think everthing is fine.  I also messed around this weekend with the mixture, rechecked the sync and adjusted, found a leak in the YICS, fixed.  Tried to start her up and she sounds great.  I went for a long drive Sun and no problems.  I stopped at a store and when I came out she took awhile to start but she did.  Seems I have to crank the throttle once and then hold it about halfway press the button a she starts right up. 
I even road her to work today, about 20 miles with no problems. 

I think I am in business.  I will probably take her to a Yamaha shop that I found that doesn't seem to mind working on her.  Have them tweak the mixture and double check the sync.  They even said they have some springs for the accel pump that will help out with acceleration. 

No I just need to strip the tank and paint it!

Thanks for everyones help, Matt

h2olawyer

Awesome, Matt!

Sounds like you have a good handle on what was causing the problems.  That pesky leaky YICS can cause all kinds of headaches until its fixed.  When working properly, however, it does make a noticeable improvement in performance.

On hot starts, I often need to give it a couple throttle twists before it starts.  Nothing unusual - all are a bit different there.

If you found a shop willing to work on her, that's great.  Hopefully, they will have an exhaust gas analyzer for setting the mixture.

Glad you're making headway.  Looks like I wouldn't have been able to get down your way until the end of the week & its supposed to be raining and or snowing by then.  Still, if you need anything, let me know & I'll try to help out.

H2O

Lucky

Quote from: comatt on March 06, 2006, 03:36:32 PM
They even said they have some springs for the accel pump that will help out with acceleration.

*cough*  Bullshit *cough*