News:

Main Menu

Gas tank

Started by safrer, April 07, 2003, 09:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

safrer

Does anyone know any other tanks that fit a Vision? ?Can the handlebars be replaced with after markets or does yamaha make a set from another bike that fit? ?Any infor would be helpful.  I have the handlebars that adjust, with the allen screws.  I need a new top plate and risers.

Rick G

As far as tanks, I dought it very much. is yours leaking or do you want one that is "prettier" There are many insurmountable  problems with changing the tank, its not an option! As to handler bars there may be some that fit from an early Virago. There are three options that I'm aware of  the higher '82 risers or the lower '83 risers (both use the same "bars" with the allen bolt.) the third is  to modify the triple tree to accept standard bars. I might have a spare if yours is bad. I'm going to have Blake post a picture of my setup  so stay tuned.  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Richard Safreed

Thanks Rick for the info.  I would be interested in seeing anything you had in the handlebar or triple tree.  The gas tank leaks and is dented.  The Vision was in a prior collision by the previuos owner.  The handlebars are bent, and I would rather have new or different than bent back in shape if possible.  Would a triple tree from a Virago fit on the forks.  I have a friend that does metal fabrication.  I may be able to persuade him to make me a tank $$$.
Thanks again for any help you can give.
Richard

Blake

http://rackshack2.mybuddyinfo.com/images/97931visiononautotrader.jpg

i found that picture on autotrader last year... definately a vision...and definately not a vision tank..  i have no clue what it is but its been killing me that i dont.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

RobTx

Wonder if the airbox is still on under there?  Pretty sure it's a Yamaha tank, the gas cap looks like the Yamaha flip up type from that era.  Maybe I'll surf around and see if I can identify it.
Rob

Lucky

If that tank can be ID'd that would be a valuable piece of info.  the possability that tank could be readibly available is slim, but any alternative is a plus.  it seems tanks are the hardest parts to find.  it's very rare that they turn up on Ebay and their usually the first thing to go on parts bikes. ok, so the style isn't the same, just call it an XZ550 RM (for Modified) :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

That tank is off of a 650 Yamaha and there is NO room under there for the airbox, its around 3 gallons, it would leave a LARGE gap between the stock seat and the tank. To answer your question about Virago triple tree fitting a V, I'll borrow one from my son-in-laws parts bike and let you know in a few days.  We have found that many tanks can be saved using POR15,  a tank sealant used by auto restorers. Stay away from Kree.. Your tank may be salvaged with some Bondo , POR15, paint and elbow grease, or you can watch here and on ebay, but it might take a while. Keep your eyes open for a parts bike , every Visionary need one!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

safrer

You bikers are a wealth of information.  I really appreciate it.
Now for the 64K question.  Does it not seem logical that parts from bikes of that era ,year, of the Yamaha name and possibly some others would be interchangeable.  Parts meaning forks, handlebars, tripletrees and some non-frame related parts.  I rebuilt a totaled triumph chopper from Honda, Yamaha, and Harley parts, because of the lack of usable triumph parts at the time.  This is the kinda stuff I love.  Fabricating and refabbing to make work.  You can't blame me I pd. $50 for the bike at auction.  Who knows you may not let me in here any longer when I am done.  I have a "Vision" but I haven't finished it yet ;D

Rick G

you will have to forgive my typeing, I have large arthritic hands  and some times I hit two keys and sometimes I miss altogeather this coupled with the fact that I don't spell for beans means that you have to use your imagination. Most of the guys seem to do ok, no one complains but me.
I meant to write Kreem, not kree.

One vision had a Vmav front end grafted on , giving it stronger forks (one would assume) and bigger brakes (it had 2 '82 discs turned down 1/4 inch)
 several Yamaha wheels might fit , but there is nothing to be gained in this , I'll check on the early Virago triple tree  and see if it fits. The Vision has a VERY unique gas tank, it has a huge cavity underneath , to accomadate the air box (and getting one to run right with out the improved air box, is just about impossable) and still holds nearly 5 gal. . to do this they brought the tank back and down so far that they had to add a fuel pump, to insure adiquite fuel supply at low tank levels. this and the fact that the seat comes up over the rear of the tank makes replacement a problem, unless your going to change that to and then I'm definatly NOT going to talk to you. LOL
Rick G

Rick G

By the way, a Visionary  named Mauricio Tavares,  is in the early stages of building Vision tanks of friberglas, or something like that, but it may be a while.
Rick G

vavision

Quote from: Rick_G on April 09, 2003, 07:59:23 PM
By the way, a Visionary  named Mauricio Tavares,  is in the early stages of building Vision tanks of friberglas, or something like that, but it may be a while.

Sorry guys I had to bump this, does anyone know if Mauricio Tavares had any success?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

Tiger

:) As far as the handle bars go, you have a couple of choice's:

1 - "same again" from a ROV member, wreckers/salvage yard, e-bay, etc.
2 - Clip on's (like Louthepou's or Kenny's ?), from same source's as #1 or.......... you can refabricate....... :o

Regarding the tank.......Depending how bad it is.......1 - Welding and / or chemical sealing (por15, Kreem,etc) ,
2 - replacement.... ::) look for a spares bike,wreckers, e-bay,etc or.... ;D
you can e-mail this guy who can make one out of fibre glass; Pat Cowan at pacomotorstuff@aol.com

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
;D? ? TIGER? ? ? 8)
p.s Where on this planet are you...... ???
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Mauricio dropped off the board 3 or 4 years ago
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black