Can someone walk me through patching a leaky tank?

Started by vavision, March 15, 2006, 05:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

The new bike seems close to perfect and I want to ride it again without getting gas on the jeans.

It leaks from the back left side and the front left side. The front leak was coming out at about a drop a minute, the back leak at a couple drops a second. The inside of the tank looks pored. I'm guessing someone did a bad job (I didn't say poor ;)) using hte por kit to fix the leak. Your guess is as good as mine.

What should I do? Do I use JB Weld, do I use something else? Do I sand first, do I sand later. I'd appreciate any and everything to a complete newb at tank leak fixing.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

YellowJacket!

I'm no pro at fixing leaky tanks but I did sleep at a Holiday in last night....couldn't resist.  Seriously though, I had a few small leaks on my tank when I got it and to fix them, I sanded them down clean then used JB Weld.
Later, I had the large dents in my tank professionally fixed and through the whole process the JB Weld job I did held up.  I did notice a small new leak at the back of the tank the other day so I'm going to fix it this week before I start painting the bike.  I'm sure that Lucky and the rest will respond with more tried and true (and more permanent) solutions.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vavision

Since it's Pored, but there are leaks... Do you think there's rust building under the POR? Is there anyway to get it off to start over? It seems like now would be the good time since I'll have the tank off to sand, fix and paint.

MotorPlow

vavision

Quote from: MotorPlow on March 15, 2006, 06:52:14 PM
What about the tank from your other Vision?

That would work temporarily, but if I fix the leak then I have two Visions to ride! One for me, one for the girlfriend and what a pretty picture that will make.

Tiger

:) Give this guy a try, he can make one out of fibre glass.. 8)
If he needs a "template" I will lend him a tank....let me know. His name is Pat Cowan, pacomotorstuff@aol.com

? ? ?
;D? ? TIGER? ? ? 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

you can tell if it's POR. ?POR has a kind of 'metalic flake' look to it & you can't catch it with a fingernail. it feels ceramic. ?Kreem is dull white or tan & has a vinyl feel to it. ?if it's Kreem or something else, get the POR Kit with the liner removal & get that old Kreem out of there.

sand down all 4 corners, you'll find several spots held together by rust & paint. (trust me, if you have one leak, you've got more) make sure it's bare metal & the area around the holes are roughed up a bit.

patch them with 2 part epoxy PUTTY. Car Parts/Car Quest ?sells this stuff in a tube, with the hardener in the center. ?pinch off what you need, roll it around in your fingers till the color is uniform & it starts to get warm. ?work quickly (it gets rock hard in under a minuet) press it into the holes. ?Saran (plastic) wrap over the top as you press it in will keep it smooth instead of making a perminant study of your fingerprints.

The epoxy can be sanded & painted.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

If the tank is leaking, the por job was bad.? Get the POR-15 HEAVY DUTY MOTORCYCLE FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT:
http://www.por15store.com/page/por15/PROD/Kits/CTRKH

I used this kit on a tank that was attempted to be por'd, but was in really bad shape!  It comes with a stripper (that works really well) to remove the old sealant.  the whole thing went pretty smooth, and my tank is working great!

Better to be safe than sorry.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

vavision

Yeah it's definately Por, I've used plenty of other por products to recognize it.

I'm going to try that putty tomorrow if I can find it nearby and then order the Por kit.

vavision

Good call on sanding down all the corners. I found  place where it rusted through to a 3mm wide hole! The putty is hardening now, so I hope that takes care of everything. I'll give it a test in an hour or so when it's supposed to be fully set with a bit of water. If I get no leaks I'll prime it and then paint it.