News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What is the V supposed to sound like?

Started by dchakrab, June 21, 2006, 04:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

So I sat outside listening to the V idle with a dumb grin on my face.

After I got over the "it runs" happiness, I noticed a few things:

1. The idle isn't even. It's not an absolutely even sound throughout...it seems to miss / skip / add a beat once in a while. Since my only experience is with the Enfield Bullet (single cylinder thumper) I don't know if this is normal or not...I'm just used to an engine with a very regular beat.

2. Sticking my ear close to the engine on the right side of the bike (as close as I could get without glueing my ear to the bike) the sharp sound (I think this is the piston beat) seems to come only from the rear cylinder.

3. The left side exhaust has a tiny bit of white smoke, which may just be from the crazy amounts of carb cleaner I shot into the carbs to get it running yesterday (I'm assuming carb cleaner will smoke when it combusts, right?).

Thoughts, advice? Go ahead, rain on my parade.

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

dchakrab

Lucky's having laptop issues so:

"the best description of a vision with stock exhaust is a Hover with a head cold" lots of valve train noise too.  i don'r know what to tell you about the knocking sound, the bike has sat a long time & the rings may need to be freed up, but it's not a very quiet engine to begin with...

also, you haven't done any of the fixes: starter clutch, balancr nuts, etc, so i wouldn't be surprised if it made some noise at least.

the loping idle same thing, get the carbs set & valves adjusted probably will help."

No, I didn't just make that up...Lucky said so, honest.

Hmmm. So I need to learn to adjust carbs and valves. Looks like some time with the manuals is called for.

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

d0n

mine goes.... vrooooom... vroooom, vrooooom!  ;D