XZ550.com needs some support...

Started by Lucky, December 27, 2006, 01:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

Recently you may or may not have noticed that XZ550.com had vanished for a few days, & if you use that email to contact me it got bounced.  XZ550.com has been graciously hosted by Rob May, a former (and forever) Visionary.  A few days ago his hosting company went AWOL, taking his site & mine with it.  he has set up shop on another server, & had a back-up of my site. I've avoided this as long as possable, but it think it's time to go solo.

if you feel XZ550.com provides a service & adds value to owning a Vision,  then i'd
1) like to hear opinions on good hosting services, cheap. & 2) html software for serious dummys, cheap. (i used to be good at it...ok, well, i could get a page to show up...)

If you would care to make a donation to help support PBS uhhh, i mean XZ550, it would be appreciated.

Also, I now have the RK portion of the service manual, the Sport Fairing assembly manual & the RK Fairing assembly manual scanned in & avalable all on one CD, or included on the Vision Service manual CD if you need it (I really should come up with a new name for it since it has so much more than just manuals...)

to this end, if anyone needs these, that money will go to the site & not my own bike (which is what i use the $$ from the CD's for) untill it has it's own site & software.

BTW, I do not wish to redirect donations away from ROV, quite the contrary, if it wasn't for Ron & his original site, i probably wouldn't have even kept my Vison more than a few days...

Thanks for listening!!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hug0

First of all, it would be an honor to support your great site.

I realise that there's many visitors to your site daily, so stability of the server and it's connection is a must. I have great interest in computers and webpages, and have done some work with that before. Recently I put up a server at home here in Sweden, it runs a webserver that handles html, php and mysql-databases.

If you would be interested in a cooperation with me, maybe we could make something of it. I don't want to get money, but I want to help.
There should be no problem with my server, but it will take me atleast a few days before it's up and running good.

My biggest problem is that I like putting up servers, but I have no or little use for them. If I could host (and help you build it, if you want) your webpage and maybe other peoples webpages or XZ550-images and such, it would be great!

So I offer practically unlimited space for files (atleast a few GBs and that's more than someone wants to download anyway) and all the help with the webpage that you want. We can always make it more advanced if you want to, using php and mysql. But, it is a big BUT in here, I can't garantee anything. The server is stable, and I have a backup-server that I can replace the first one with within one hour (if I'm at home). But I have had some problems with my internetconnection some evenings, working on finding the solution.
If we start to use the server I might move it to some friends house, so It can gets a faster and more stable connection.
You must be able to administer your domain though, and point it to where I have the server.

Write here or PM me if your interested!

Night Vision

I have supported both this site and your site (back when you started doing the Vision Chronicles)
I would be willing to support you new site after you get it worked out
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Sable

Lucky,

For a pretty good software for the price (read FREE), check out Mozilla, they have a good internet suite called SeaMonkey, it is a combo browser, e-mail client and web publishing program that is open-source (free to download and use). The publishing program works much like MS FrontPage.
     Do you get any space through your ISP for a web site? I think comcast only gives customers 25MB for each e-mail address you have (for up to 7 e-mail addresses total of 175 MB). Also, for cheap web hosting, I have heard good things about godaddy.com, but have not used them. I use a company called www.serversanddomains.com. Check out the cPanel Web Hosting, the cheapest package is $4.95 per month (must pay annually, otherwise $5.95 per month) and you have 500 MB of space and 10GB of data transfer per month, this also includes 1 free domain name if paid for annually. But, why spend the money if Hug0 can hook you up!

~John

- PS, I would contribute whatever I can to help
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Tiger

:) Lucky,
I'm more than happy to buy a "NEW" version of your C.D..... P.M.or E-mail me details of $$$, how to pay, etc. You can put any profit into what-ever you see fit... 8) As you are aware...I'm not very literate when it comes to computer's and such... ::) but I'll obviously help where I can....... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

plavix

I am with Tiger... I could definitely use the supplements for my 83 Vision, so let me know how I can order that and what you need for it $$$$ (I just purchased the old CD from you this month, so I only need the supplements).

Thanks for all you do Lucky (and the same to all you other really helpful Visionaries out there),

Tony

Night Vision

I think this past year is the most action I've seen, since I've joined, to support this forum... maybe the most ever? I don't know.

we all suffer withdrawls we she goes down.. go on, admit it...

on the other hand... how many times do we go back to, or refer new members to XZ550.com?

let's support both..........

let's continue the charity auctions and the "yeah, I'll send you the part for a donation to the ROV"

AND...............
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

.... let's see if that Lucky guy will do a group buy on that "super-duper-supplemented - updated - all you ever wanted to know about a Yamaha Vision - and somethings know don't want to know" CD

;D
;D
;D
;)

oh yeah, did I mention I want a sticker too?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

lucky,
   i agree ,we all need every site we have, losing any is bad . HugO made a great offer, but as he said, he is having connection issues now and then. othe rthan that,, it sounds like good idea  for all, you get a host, he gets additional server skills, we keep the info high way open.

on the other side of the water, office live is offering 2 gigs of space, 50  locked e-mail accounts( as in  "joesnuffy@zx550.com" ,lucky @zx550.com. etc. ) and the back up of microsoft as a corp entity. the office site is also secured by MS ,and since they generate most of the viruses out there anyway, you are better protected. I am sure HugO can do the same. i just dont know about his isp . all of that is worthy of consideration.

i for one would gladly pay 5.00 per month towards the office live host, for use of one e-mail address, and if you get the 39,95 package, i am sure 45 or so of my best friends ever would join in too(all forum members) ,just to have an e-mail addy of      @zx550.com

site cost 39.95     5 admin addy retainer      45 for 5 per mo=225.00

pay your fees at no cost to you, and send some  to ron for rov site, thus reducing his costs too=== everyone wins
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Hug0

I have thought about this alot the latest day. xz550.com is a lot of responsibility, so therefore it might be better with a big company that takes responsibility for whatever happens to the server and data there. That is one reason to go with a hosting company, and the second problem that might be a big one is that I can't host e-mail.

I can only host webpages and files, using php and mysql, as it looks now. I'm working on e-mail too but it will take a while. For my own domain I can register e-mails and subdomains and redirect them to other adresses so that is no problem for me. My e-mails are redirected to free e-mail services.

There are some great ideas here for hosting companys, and selling @xz550.com-adresses is not a bad idea :)
We'll see what happens, I'll keep working on the server here at home and see how my connection works. I'll drive the server with some of my own webpages and see how everything works.

Still, it would be a great honor ;)
Irrespective of what happens with the hosting, I offer all the help I can with developing the webpages if anyone wants help!

Lucky

I want to go with a big co for the same reasons, responsibility is theirs, etc.  Ron has also offered to host but i want to stay seperate, ROV attacks hackers, & XZ550.com attracts spammers (i have my xz550 email address forwarded to hotmail, & my junk mail fills up fast!)

i've been working more doubles, so i haven't been able to do any reserch yet, but GoDaddy is my registar (is that the right name? and they have webspace, plus they are big. i just have to compair what they offer to others (who?)

i need web authering software for dummies as well...

--Lucky

Brian Moffet

Do you know how to use MSWord or similar word programs?  If so, you can download OpenOffice for free.  It will save off pages as web pages, not quite an HTML WYSIWYG editor but cheap!

And like most people around here, I can help out with questions on HTML and other stuff.

Brian

Lucky

Couple of CD's sold, thanks guys.  i have a start on the website fund.  Davetn & I are going to look over some webspace choices & software choices, then we'll work on the development a bit.

Thanks, --Lucky

kiwibum

Lucky
You might want to consider a host that provides a "content management system" (CMS) like joomla (http:www.joomla.org), this will simplify your requirement for a knowing HTML or needing a special editor, plus simplify managing all the information on the site.  It's worth registering with their site so you can log into the demo as an administrator to see how you add content etc.  I use this system for the couple if sites I have, can give you set up help if you need it.  Basically it's a website run on a database so you don't have to worry about keeping links updated when you add or move items etc etc. Forgot to mention another important area is it keeps content seperate from presentation (think that's the right way to put it), the site is template based for the look and feel, it's done once and the data base deals with the look and feel from then on. If you want to change the look, install another template, there are companies that create tempates and lots of free ones available.

I don't recommend using, word or any of the other quick fix wysiwigs, you will just make more work for yourself in the end of the day and have a bunch of static pages that are a pain to edit.  With a site operating a CMS that uses a browser for the editing rather than special client you can log in from anyones computer and add a new article. e.g. ride to a friends house take a photo of his bike, write a note about it and publish it with him watching you do it on his computer (no need to lug laptop round or look for internet connections).  As you can see I'm a big advocate of content management system's.

I've used http://www.hostingzoom.com/web/web-hosting.html for over two years and had no problems with a couple of personal sites.  Their cheapest service (the one I use) is here http://www.resellerzoom.com/cheap-reseller-hosting.shtml with one of these you can resell webserver space if you wish.  You could sell personal web sites to uses here to cover your costs.  Everything is very well automated for setup, e.g. there is a install wizard for Joomla content management system.  You may also consider http://www.rochenhost.com/starter-hosting/ they provide hosting for joomla.org so is worth supporting them, look like they have good back up system as well, also have Fantastico Auto-Installer to install Joomla:-).

Regarding email and website, these can be hosted completely separately since they are different services, this is how I operate one of my sites since I use IMAP mail and the above company doesn't provide that.  These things are controlled by your domain records, the MX record points to your email service another record to your website host.  Depends on how you domain register operates and services they provide, most provide email forwarding, you can use this to a gmail/hotmail/whatever account and put in a host IP for the website host.

Hope this doesn't sound more complicated than it is. Let me know if you have more questions.

NewVisionGuy

My dad just gave me  three servers  that  Aspect Communications (His company)  gave him.   From what he's told me,  they're  only  about  six months old,  but the company that was using them  wanted to upgrade (again)  so they gave the "old" servers to him.   O'course...  it  seems  you won't need them Lucky,  but  once  my dad and I set them up,  (hopefully with a T1 connection) I would be more than willing to host  most anything  this  forum  would like to have. 

Brian Moffet

CRM systems are great, once you learn the methods to deal with them.  However, the ones I've seen (which is not a lot) tend to be rather obscure in how they do things, and have a few severe security problems.  But then again, I started programming when I was 12, and I've gotten used to having a whole bunch of trivia on how to do things stuck in my head  ::)

My usual suggest is "Use what you're comfortable with", and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Brian

MotorPlow

Lucky,
My wife just downloaded and installed this great WYSIWYG Web page editor: http://www.nvu.com/index.php

It is very easy to use and publish directly to your server right from the application. Best of all, it's completely FREE!

~MP

Lucky

Motor, i D/L'ed NVU earlier, i've been playing with it a bit, thanks.

dchakrab

Nvu's a great editor; like an open source, free version of Dreamweaver.

I'd recommend using a CMS as well; I use Drupal for client sites, and it's been rock solid stable for projects ranging from free to $90k.

Hosting: HostPC is supercheap, at $35/year. I can host you for free in my HostPC space...they're pretty good about tech support, and reliable (one major outtage in the past three years, when the hurricane hit their data center).

I can:

Set up a CMS (I'm most comfortable with Drupal, but can help you pick one or help install the one you pick).
Help with design work (but this is time-intensive).
Help with content migration (easy).
Send you a set of carbs to fix along with a check (come on guys, I bet we could all use a carb clean for Spring, right?).

Drupal will offer build in content management (like Mambo / Joomla / etc) ...you basically log in to your website, click on "create content", click on "page" as the type of content you want to create, and type stuff into a box. Kind of like this forum, which is also a CMS. And then the site publishes your page, adds menu links, etc. No HTML or FTP stuff to tinker with...it just works.

CMS is the future; it's the direction the web is moving in. People need to engage the web without technology interfaces (or hiring a geek), and the CMS simply removes much of the geek work from the equation. Drupal's also free and open source, and the development community is *massive* ...there are currently over 100k code hours in the project, and over 1000 functionality modules that people have contributed to it for the community to use. Mailing lists, forums, posting to the site from a cell phone by sending your website an SMS message, managing user logins, aggregating content from other sites, user blogs, image galleries; I could go on. In other words, there are more features available than you'll ever need, and a lot of the things you might want (image galleries, email contact forms) are simple to set up. I can use Drupal to set up a contact form in a few clicks, for example...scripting that from scratch in NVU (or just a notepad, which is what I usually use) would take significantly longer, and require some major familiarity with code.

Think about it and let me know. Grassroots.org (my new job) is shifting entirely to Drupal to host about 700 nonprofit clients, specifically so that they we can hand them a free turnkey website that they can manage entirely on their own, with out any tech abilities.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Lucky; I've been away from the boards for a good long time.

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.