News:

Main Menu

did some work today

Started by haunter, May 10, 2006, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haunter

well, I went down a few weeks ago and the results have mostly kept the bike off the road  :-X

replaced the water pump seals last week and then today replaced the o-rings on the water pipes as one was leaking when I put it all back together.

Alogn with that I re-ran the throttle cable as it was binding on me causing a high idle and I removed the 83 fairing as prep for the new windshield and to aid the install of new LED flushmount turn signals.

but I took her out naked real quick and was sad to have to put her away as it started to sprinkle a few minutes into a short ride.

I did renotice a problem I discovered earlier..........

when I really pull the throttle open I get a 'clunk' or a 'thud'  from the bike.........

it has me worried that I will crack the throttle and have the shaft lock up or something and toss me....any suggestions?
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Mutt

Have you had the rear wheel off and inspected the shaft and gearing? If you haven't done it, drain your rear end oil and check for chunks or metal flakes. I replaced my oil with a synthetic. Be sure to check closely for heirline cracks along the inside of the teeth.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

haunter

Quote from: Mutt on May 10, 2006, 10:47:10 PM
Have you had the rear wheel off and inspected the shaft and gearing? If you haven't done it, drain your rear end oil and check for chunks or metal flakes. I replaced my oil with a synthetic. Be sure to check closely for heirline cracks along the inside of the teeth.

Mutt

thats on my list.  I just won't have time to get my hands on the bike again till next week so I figured I would pick you guys' brain first  :P
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Superfly

The shaft drive on the bike is probably the most bullet-proof part of the bike!  If in doubt, drain the shaft & refill. 
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

zore

I got my bike with 2400 miles and was suprised on how much metal was on the magnet.  I just filled it with some royal purple gear oil and called it a day.  I'll check it again in a few weeks.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

haunter

wdell it happened again on my short ride today, no noise or anything, just a big hesitation, at like 5 6 and 7k RPM's...........

QBS

The driveshaft has a built in spring loaded ramp type shock absorber that makes a clunking sound from time to time when its doing its job.  This unit requires zero maintenance and is common on most Yamaha shaft drive systems.  Worry about something else.  Cheers.

Mutt

haunter, regardless if the shaft is the clunking problem I would change out the fluid. If you can't be sure how old it is you can assume it's 22+ years old or older. Inspection doesn't cost you anything but certainly gives you piece-of-mind. If I were you I would check it out.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

haunter

Quote from: Mutt on May 11, 2006, 11:05:44 PM
haunter, regardless if the shaft is the clunking problem I would change out the fluid. If you can't be sure how old it is you can assume it's 22+ years old or older. Inspection doesn't cost you anything but certainly gives you piece-of-mind. If I were you I would check it out.

Mutt

yup its on next weeks to do list

out of town all weekend so no riding or wrenching time :(