best brake pads

Started by glennw, December 13, 2004, 06:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennw

People...
Since I'm putting the 83 front end on my 82 and rebuilding it all, I'm looking for brake pad recommendations. What brand / type / compound and the best place to buy them.
Pad life expectancy is not an issue as I don't put that many miles on it. I just want to stop!
I have EBS pads on my ?82 set up now and they feel like a wood block.
Thanks,
GlennW
Half Mad Max

louthepou

I remember using Vesrah Sintered Metal in the past, they were OK; I'm not sure, but I think I have Ferodo pads now on my 82 and I'm happy with them.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

It is not a good idea to use sintered pads on rotors that weren't designed for them.  You'll wear the rotor out fairly quickly.  I put sbs (Scandanavian Brake Systems) ceramic pads on.  They are the recommended pads for bikes that didn't come with sintered pads originally.  There's still plenty of feel but the change from the stock single disc to the double with braided lines & DOT 4 fluid makes it impossible for me to tell what any individual piece does to the system.  I just know it works much better with less lever effort & no fork twisting.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

my thoughts exactly, whatever pads you go with, keep in mind that you can probably find pads for this bike, but rotors are in very limited supply, especially for an 83 (they are NOT the same as 82's)
steelbraided brake lines, clean m/c & calipers and  concientious braking should give you plenty of life to both you and your rotors.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black