News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Stator Rewind

Started by Superfly, December 01, 2004, 08:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

I started taking one apart last night, what a mess.  I took the crappiest one I had, and this stator was burnt!! (I figured I would destroy the first one anyway) just to see what was going on in there.

Is there a universal winding pattern for these things, any information would be helpful, considering that with all of the caked on oil & epoxy it was really difficult to figure the pattern out without breaking the 17 ga. wire.

Rick G, I found the old post, where you posted the website.  Thanks, very helpful.

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

louthepou

Ah, good ol' Superfly, never saying "no" to a new challenge!

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

ALLEY CAT

To answer your question YES there is a universal pattern to rewinding.
I can't remember exactly but if you delve into the back posts there is an extensive step by step by an ROV member who after two tries sucessfully rewound his. it's charging well to this day with over a thousand miles on it. .
it really is kinda easy after you learn the tricks.

Superfly

I found the post by Scootertramp and
"Oy me brain be hurtin'"
Yeeeeehhhhaaaaa....

Rick G

I toted the binder home, so I'm going to post the URL anyway.
www.gsresources.com/garage/gs_statorrewind.htm
Its worth printing out. I print out anything that looks like it will be usefull  and keep it in a binder, I've even got stuff  from the old forum.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

So, you want to be president huh?  we'd better check in Ricks binder to make sure there's nothing incriminating in there first, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

The stator is completely dis-assembeled.  I was able to get a good winding count off of a couple of the poles.  I counted 29 wraps per pole.  I have not measured it yet,  I will be adding the epoxy spray and start winding next week.

great googly moogly

Spray the poles well and coat them many times, THEN WRAP THE POLES with a SPECIAL POLE PAPER. it's like a fine grade of fiberboardpaper.
I had to change the GUAGE of the wire and used LESS wraps than was reccomended. I counted several poles and I too found that the poles were wrapped one more or one less than a standerd number 27,28,29..
I went up to 18 guage cause I could'nt get the seventeen guage to fit after I put the paper on.
I used less wraps as low as twenty five on some and as many as twentyseven on others.
 I tried to use the same length of wires on all three, thats just the way it worked out.
Mine is charging well. just about perfect numbers.
I had to do it twice so it cost fourty bucks. plus the gasket sealant. the GREY TYPE.  still, NO LEAKS!

I'm amazed, i had motor sickle guts espread out all over and i put everythng back together after a few days and it worked.
ALL cause of this site mostly.
thanks for all the help!

Superfly

Thanks Scootertramp, I was reading your past posts, they were quite humorous.  All advice is appreciated.  I have too many of these darn things laying around not to try.  I did order one from Ricks also!! Not saying I do not trust myself.... ::)

windsome

oh my.. yeah that stator job was killer.
it's easy now though. I made a jig to help hold the stator steady and I got gloves and took care to keep from messing the wire up.
I hung the wire up and fed it through a couple of cloth loops to keep it tangle free.

Lucky

If you've ever filled a fishing reel, you might remember that the way  you load the reel is the way you unload the line spool.  when wrapping your poles, it might help to apply the same procedure. if the spool of wire unwraps to the left, then wrap the pole to the left. that should go a long way to keep the wire from tangling.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

What is the stator pole paper, is it readily available in an electrical supply shop?

great googly moogly

I went to a shop that rewinds electrical motors. I got the  specially coated propre guage winding wire and  spray epoxy and the heat resistant, shielded wire that sticks out of the cover along with the special pole paper. twice..

plus a few winding tips(POLE PAPER) and he said he'd even DIP the stator into epoxy for me if I wished.
The spray worked for me I put many many heavy coats on it.
I turned it as it dripped and ran so it ran back on to it. I would spray the top and as it got to the bottom and dripped off I would flip it up side down and the epoxy would recoat the stator. back and forth many many times..
I did'nt change out the shielded wire and just soldered onto the existing wires so I never had to mess with those pesky grommetts.
wham bam thank you mamm