Just got a 1982 vision what should i do to it?

Started by Dr.Gimpo, May 20, 2006, 01:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Gimpo

is there anything problamatic that i should fix/ modify on it. i do know about the quirky charging system. thanks!

tailwheel

If it works ride it! ;) Take care of the charging system as soon as you can and make sure the fuel system has a filter!
Dave
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

Lucky

Welcome Dr G!
seethe top ten Vision problem & easy repairs on my site (http://www.xz550.com/top.html)
and the "new" owners checklist (http://www.xz550.com/newbike.html)
looks like a lot of scary stuff, but it's not
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) ENJOY HER Dr G.... ;D ...A warm welcome to you from your extended family.... ;D We are all here to help each other..... 8). Where on this planet are you..... ???
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Superfly

If the bike runs, ride it.  Trust me, she will give you things to do.  The more you ride this bike, the more you bond with it, the more you want to make it perfect! 

I would install some type of a voltage meter, that way you can keep an eye on what your charging system is doing.  Alot of problems stem from that and the carbs. 

Inline fuel filters are a must also.  These old tanks tend to rust.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

kiawrench

hi doc, welcome to the illness we all call Vision motorcycles.    by the way, i am the accident prone one here in the forum<

you can get a very simple to mount led voltage light from kuyaken( most harley shops) , two wire hook up and it is a simple to read thing, keeps the charging issue well monitored , just hook up to any switched circuit, or have a bike shop do it ,,, easy and not expensive.
    second , buy good bike insurance, esp one with personal injury rider,,, geico is good, as are a few others. then do a full list of anything that you see that doesnt look perfect, , it keeps you working in off season .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .