The weather was too good to work on the bike this weekend.

Started by dj, May 21, 2006, 08:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

It might sound very odd, but due to the great weather I was unable to work on the bike this weekend.  The wife had a list way to long of past due stuff (yard work) that needed to be done.  I am up in Maine and it has rained for the past 2 weeks straight, so the lawn was a jungle plus I had to go over to the in-laws house to work with our ponies that we are boarding over there.

I was actually hoping for it to rain yesterday so I could stay home and work on the bike.

Here is a breakdown of what I have done with the bike so far.

Items that are done - Cleaned/fixed the carbs (float levels were all screwed up), fixed petcock issue (kinda, inline cutoff valve installed), routed the carb fuel lines to the proper places with help from Lucky (the previous owner had them all messed up)...

Items that still need to be done - Thru some help from Lucky I found that the disk filter that connects to the spout off of the front of the front carb is not there and I need to aquire one, bought new clamps for the fuel lines (the small wire ones just don't work good enough), starter is acting very screwy (Lucky thinks that the seal is deteriorated and oil is leaking in), paint job (when everything else is done), and anything else that creeps up.  It seems that the more I dig into this bike the more that I find that needs to be fixed (not that that is a bad thing  ;D, just need to find the other problems so the bike will be complete again ;).

If anybody knows where I can get the disk filter from and also the seal that I will need when I rebuild the starter it would be greatly appreciated.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Do you mean the disk filter for the Modified 82 carbs?  If so, I have one I can send you.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dj

DaveTN - I don't have a clue as to what it is, Lucky refered to it as a "disk filter" and all I know is that it isn't on the bike and the port on the front carb has no hose to it.  I also don't know if the carbs are the original ones or the modified ones.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Lucky said that it "bolts/screws" to the front of the front carb.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

I have the disk but not the mounting bracket.  My bracket broke when I was putting my carbs back together.  Lucky sent me another one but I seem to have misplaced it.  I still have the extra disk filter.  The one currently on my bike is just held in place by a plastic zip tie.
I'm going to do some work on my bike tomorrow and I'll take a few pictures of what you are talking about and post them.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

just the opposite here in Syberacuse, NY. Weather sucked, so I worked on SmokeBomb all weekend. Added an intercooler and a nos setup  ::) I'll post pics later  ::)

My disc filter broke off the mount and is just kinda sittin there. No biggie about not having the mount.

If ya need an stater  starter nose seal, check the swap page.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: dj on May 21, 2006, 08:08:39 PM
If anybody knows where I can get the disk filter from and also the seal that I will need when I rebuild the starter it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a complete one .....pm your address and I'll send it on to you...... 8)

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

dj

Night Vision - just sent you a pm about the starter seal.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Serendipity

Ponies, DJ? Are you guys a Horse/Vision household too....or is "ponies" a nickname for other bikes you are keeping in you in-laws garage? :)

dj

Yes, they are real live ponies.  Shetland/Hackney cross (2 females).  They are a mirror image of each other with the exception of Missy (the older one has a black diamond shape "spot" over her eye inside of the white marking that comes down the snout.  They are pulling ponies that we are training to work up at a local living history museum (hopefully they will be ready for next years events).

My father-in-law and I are two of the blacksmiths that run the smithy during the weekend events.  I am going to be up there (Leonard's Mills Living History Museum in Bradley Maine) next Wednesday through Friday doing demonstrations for local schools.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Serendipity

Too cool! I have a 30 yr old palomino Shetland, named Pumpkin. He's been in the family for about 15+ years. I earned a lot of beer money in college doing pony parties with him. :) I have always wanted to pull a cart with him, even have an old easy-entry that needs to be refurbished...but ya know how it is.

I also have a 1/2 Tennessee Walker, she's the 4-wheel drive and gaited. Can ride her through fire (literally)....and I have an Arabian (the sports car) that I do endurance riding with...she can still spook on occasion (being young and an Ay-rab) but she's got a really good head on her shoulders and can trot aaaaall the live long day.

dj

The two ponies were breed on the same ranch out in Iowa (can't think of the name) from the same parents (I think, same father at least).  Missy (the one with the diamond shape spot) is 13 and Lady is 11.  Both are about 12.5 hands high or so, though Missy is a little heftier (she foaled out about 9 months ago so she still has the "baby weight") but they are both in great shape.  The other two horses that are at my in-laws are finally starting to accept them into the "herd".  Sky is a "mutt" - which means we don't know what she is for a mix.  White with black/grey spots.  Cowboy is an American Quarter horse.  They have also got 3 milk goats and 6 "freeloaders" (non milk goats), a milking cow (who is preganant), 4 rabbits, and a bunch of chickens.  I don't have a clue as to how many chickens they have because they are always running around and it is hard to count them.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Tiger

Quote from: dj on May 21, 2006, 09:22:56 PM
Tiger - just sent you a pm.

:) Disc filter on its way to you....being from Canada its used to the cold.....so you can ride a little longer into the fall....... ;D ;D :D ;)

;D      TIGER        8)