MAC Exhaust Install Instructions

Started by crackerkorean, July 30, 2006, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerkorean

I got a set of mac pipes but wondering how to install them. I am sure i can figure them out but it would save me some head scratching.

Also how do you repack the mufflers?

Paul_Jungnitsch

Sent an article to your gmail account.

Tiger

Quote from: crackerkorean on July 30, 2006, 11:33:16 AM
Also how do you repack the mufflers?
Just did mine to-day...... :o
At the "noisy" end of the Mac's, there is a screw ,8/10mm, that holds the baffle in place... remove it, grip the mouth of the baffle with a set of vise grips and pull.... ::) Hmmm...Kinda tight, eh....you may, as I did, have to use a hammer on the grip's....top wasn't to bad, however, the bottom was tighter than a fishes ass!!!! ;D ;D and took a lot of pounding to remove.... ::)....Once out, I discarded what was left of the old packing and replaced it with wire/steel wool....DO NOT roll it tight.....once rolled, tie off each end with a length of wire, (wrap around and twist)...Slip back in, replace screw and "voila"..... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

if you get a roll of stainless steel wool from McMaster-Carr, it'll last 3 times as long (years) and you can actually clean the carbon out with a compressor...

you must cut this stuff with heavy duty scissors, sheers or tin snips, if you try to tear it apaprt you'll shred your fingers
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

crackerkorean

Thanks for the instructions. That will help out.
I plan on doing that next weekend.
I will order the wool from mcmaster carr also and take care of that when that comes in.

crackerkorean

Ok I need some desperate help.

I have an exhaust leak on the front pipes.
Do I need to get new gaskets?
Also Night Vision sent me some beveled rings do I use those on the front?? Please help Im this close to getting the pipes on.

crackerkorean

Ok on the directions sent to me from paul it said to double up on the exhaust gaskets.

Itried that and it still leaked and then I tried one on the left pipe and two on the right and it leaks even worse. It seems the pipes are not pointing in the same direction and are not level.

Any ideas.

smknjoe1964

on the front pipes I got the little bit of crap left inside the opening on the engine .theres a little rim that can collect a little bit of crap . once I cleaned that out I gooped in a little exhaust sealant I got from autozone ,it dries real quick ,I then attached the pipes as evenly tightened down as I could and waited a few hours just to make sure it set up real good .I tried before without sealant and I had leaks also . But now,So far no leaks !!! I put a little on the engine stuck the gasket in and then put a little on the pipes .