DJ is back, and has a huge problem! Help please!

Started by dj, May 10, 2006, 07:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dj

I was working on the V last night (for those of you who remember me I was a new member right before the forum "hiccup") and thought I had the fuel leak fixed.  The petcock was working properly again and the floats seemed to be working fine.

Put gas in the tank about a 1/2 gallon at a time and ran it for a while.  No leak so I filled up the tank and took it down the road for a ride.  Everything was going great, until I hit my first bump in the road and then I noticed that the bike was starting to "buck and surge".  It felt like it was fighting with itself just to stay running.  I drove it back to the drive way and gas was pouring out the overflow line.  I took the tank of and drained it into a gas can.  By the way it is not fun to take a tank off a bike when the petcock is stuck open.  I lost about a 1/2 gallon of gas onto a hot engine by the time that I could get the tank off and cleared the frame. :o

Now I definitely know that the petcock is no good.  I also think that there might be a stuck float or something wrong in the carbs so I took the carbs off the bike.  It is definitely not easy to get the carbs off of these bikes.   >:(  After about an hour of messing around with getting the carbs off they came out.  At this point it was dark out and it was starting to rain.  The only good thing that happened last night was that I got the bike covered up and carbs inside before it was doing anything more then a sprinkle.  8)

Started working on taking the carbs apart so I can get them cleaned up.  I accidentally set the carbs down on the table just wrong and the lever that opens the butterfly valve got moved and I got a nice squirt of gas about 1/8th of an inch from going straight into my left eye! :'(  At this point I was getting very frustrated  >:( and almost stopped for the night, but I kept plugging away and got the bowls off so I could take a look at the floats (I am assuming that these are the two black cube type thingies).  Not sure which one is the messed up one, but the floats on one definitely come down further then the other and the part that is in the small tube underneath it is very loose and exposes about half its length.  I am talking about the small hexagon shaped object that has a point on one end and a spring pin on the other.

At this point I am pretty lost as to what to do next.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Coil Coyle

DJ,
   I think you are describing one float and needle valve that are correct and one that the float drops too far. The extra drop allows the needle to drop out and hold the float down, flooding the engine.

Look at the pivot of the black thingy that does not drop too far. A small metal finger hits the needle seat and stops the float from falling. (Float Drop) After getting the pieces together just like the good one, adjust the other floats finger to stop it the same way as the good one does.

You will have to adjust the float drop by bending the metal. The pivot pin will come out, be easy so you don't break the cast metal pivot mount on either side.
If you put the pieces together with the pin in and then adjust the sheet metal finger to match the good one, you must not push the needle down into the seat it seals against. The rubber tip will be crushed if you do.
Make sure the needle isn't already crushed by the last guy that bent the float drop tab to far.

Get back with more questions, I'm going to bed but everybody else it getting up.

;)
coil

Night Vision

Quote from: dj on May 10, 2006, 07:38:21 AM

I accidentally set the carbs down on the table just wrong and the lever that opens the butterfly valve got moved and I got a nice squirt of gas about 1/8th of an inch from going straight into my left eye!

you should have gotten squirted in both eyes  ::) .... check your other accelerator nozzle to make sure it's not plugged
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

dj

coil - Thanks for the tips.  I'll check into it and let you know if I have any other questions.

Night Vision - The other accelerator nozzle did squirt, but I had the carbs positioned of to my left on the table while I looked at another part that I had already taken off.  Both nozzles squirted, but only the one closest to me got me in the face.

Does anybody no what I can do about the petcock.  I checked with the local part shops and it is going to cost me 80-90 bucks for a petcock.  I picked up a fuels shut off valve that I am going to put in line with the petcock, just have to do some modification to the fuel line first.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Coil Coyle

DJ,
     The inline will work fine as long as the original is not leaking externally. You need two though, if it an 83. The 83's circulate fuel to the carbs and back to the tank, both lines have to be turned off.

;)
coil

dj

Coil,

So, if I am reading into things correctly I only need the one valve for the 82 that I have.  Is this correct? ???
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Coil Coyle

dj

Coil,

Thanks for the help.  Now all I need to do is get a small piece of rubber tubing and clamp the cutoff valve to the end of the petcock, find some way to mount the valve to the tank, and fix the float level on the bad carb.  Should be a peice of cake  ;)!  Hopefully that means that I should have to many problems and can get the bike back on the road soon.  The guys at work are planning on a ride this Saturday and I'd like to take the V instead of the Big BEAST.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Willie

I seem to remember that here may be a petcock rebuild kit available from Yamaha.  You might want to explore that option rather than adding yet another part to remember to shut off and turn on, not to mention at least two more connections in the system for potential leaks!

dj

I have looked into the rebuild kit, and even tried to get the petcock off.  Unfortunately I am unable to get the petcock off to see if I can rebuild it.

I figured the next best thing to do was to try the fuel valve.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Coil Coyle

Petcock Kit is at Sirius Consolidated, Google them.

coil

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Quote from: Rick_G on May 23, 2006, 02:18:57 AM
Why was Lucky banned?

Maybe the host computer thought he had too many posts.   :D

Actually, it had something to do with the recent server crash.  He couldn't log onto the forum & it kept telling him he was banned.  Was remedied quickly.

Good to hear from you, Rick!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Serendipity

**thread jack**

Ya know what's scary? I'm actually starting to understand some of what you guys are talking about. ;)

**back to regularly scheduled thread**

Lucky

& we'll NEVER understand what you girls are talking about!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

Quote from: Lucky on May 23, 2006, 03:58:30 PM
& we'll NEVER understand what you girls are talking about!

probably better that way, it will save us some headaches
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

dj

2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Serendipity

That's ok we prefer to keep you guys guessing.   ;)