Ridin' To Deadwood

Started by Baznmel, May 24, 2006, 11:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baznmel

The bike's tuned, I've a meaty new tire on the front and I'm outta here memorial day for a solo westward burn to Deadwood for a couple days to soak up as much history as I can before I burn home to SW Wisconsin on friday.  I've been taken with the HBO series on DVD and want to see the place for myself.  I know most of the town burned a hundred years ago, but they reinvested in gambling (not for me- too sore a loser) and historical restoration (definitely for me) recently, according to their official site.

Looking for advice on two things:

The speed limit in SD is 85mph on I-90- so I'm guessing daytime traffic is moving at all of that and some change.  Anything besides the usual- temp gauge and antelopes- I should be aware of during sustained high speeds? I've ridden those speeds for short distances but not for a fuel tank at a time. The fluids are changed and I've installed a generic windscreen to buck the 100mph headwind going west.

The other thing is sights to see with just 48 hrs to do it in.  Hickock and Calamity Janes grave sites are a given, as is sitting with my back to the wall and toasting history in the #10 saloon.  I'm fairly fit, so walking several miles and climbing is no problem.

Cheers-
Baznmel

MotorPlow

I've riden at sustained speeds of 75-80 mph, but not 85-90.
My guess is watch the temperature guage and install and watch the voltmeter.
Just as a secondary thought, when you stop and get fuel, check the stator connections and make sure they are not melted (If you have them soldered, check and make sure it's still secure. ... Check tire pressure regularly.

Superfly

heh-heh... my bikes sweet spot was between 85-90.  Just cruising down the freeway she would scream, and plenty left in the throttle, I never had any problems.  I have red-lined 5th a couple of times before, but she did not seem as "comfortable" as the 85-90 range.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Serendipity

How awesome! Tailwheel and I were seriously thinking about going there last year, but decided to hold off. We are HUGE fans of the show too. I looooooove Calamity Jane. What a la- uuum ok, maybe not a lady...but what a woman!

Have a great time and we expect a full report on the town and how your Vision performed.

90 mph!!!! I can't even imagine that.....yet. Mua-hahahahahaha!

Kenny

Unless you are riding with  a crosswind you shouldn't  encounter any overheating problems. You can vary the rad temp by altering your knee position.
    I would keep a close watch on the battery electrolyte level. On our trip across Canada  the level was low about half way thru the trip, on a couple of cells. 
Use a good oil - semi-synthetic if you can. 
Enjoy the trip!  Ride safe.
Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Baznmel

Thanks pards, excellent advice from all.  One note- I rechecked my itinerary off of freetrip.com and realized the speed limit is 75- I guess I was prepared to go 85 with the flow of holiday traffic.  Any fellow "Johnny Laws" out there who'd planned to set up and watch for me at the state line this monday can stand down :P

QBS

Your V will empty as many gas tanks as you can stand in the 80 to 95 range.  They do feel a little stressed over a sustained 90.  But not in a harmful way.  Just check your temp guage and oil level.

Watch out for handling wobbles with your handle bar type fairing, especially in cross winds at high speeds.  Wind, acting on the fairing, can induce undesired and uncontrolled steering inputs.  So sort of sneak up on your speed to see how it' going to handle.

tailwheel

If you get a chance get a picture of the V with Mt Rushmore in the back ground. While in Deadwood remember one of my favorite lines from the show "Act civilized even if you ain't".
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT

Baznmel

Yes Sir.  Law and order, that's me.  I'll even save my whisky toast to Wild Bill til the Vision's cooling down for the night.

Wouldn't want to wind up in Mr. Woo's hog lot anyway...

tailwheel

Hey Baz,
Can't wait to hear your ride report, I took the V on the interstate to work on Friday to see how it would do at high speed. 70 was ok but I did not like 80. I may have a few more trucks and cars to pass on I95 than you but thanks for inspiring me to test it out. I recently bought a new Nolan helmet that had a spoiler that went across the back. It sounded like a good idea to control buffeting but as I entered the highway I looked left for traffic and as I turned my head straight I could see in my mirror the spoiler getting ru over by the 18 wheeler behind me. Well it was cool while it lasted. Other than that the ride to work was good but I think I will stick to the non interstate roads when I ride to work.
Piper J-3 cub
John Deere 4110
2005 BMW 1200 LT