Oh what a crappy day for my Vision and Me.

Started by YellowJacket!, June 09, 2006, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Normally I put my bike up on its center stand whe I park at work but today I decided to use the side stand.  After sitting out in direct 85 degree sunlight, my sidestand decided to sink into the asphalt just enough to let the bike tip over onto its side.  The result was a scuffed mirror, bent turn signal bracket on my shark fairing, which in turn pushed the turn signal into my tank and dented it and my clutch lever broke off 2/3 the way up.  My new exhaust got scuffed on the concrete curb too.  and of course my pride was hurt too.  To add insult to injury, after hoisting the bike back up in front of a bunch of onlookers, I got on it, started it up and left for home.  While making an uphil right turn out of the parking lot, I stopped at the stop sign and my legs were a little too short to make full contact.  I leaned slightly to the right and put my foot down in sand and slipped (actually did a groin wrenching split).  I twisted my leg to regain my balance and pulled something in my thigh and out of pain had to set the bike down.  Well, there goes the other turn signal and my brake lever snapped off about 1/4 of the way down.  Also scuffed the other tail pipe and turn signal.

I learned a few valuable lessons today.  First of which is to get something to put under my side stand or use the center stand. Next, Know your surroundings.  Rather than go for the quick exit, I could have driven around to the flatter right turn on the other side of the lot.  I also learned to look for anything that will throw off my balance or control and avoid it.  And, just plain be careful.  I have to give the V a rest for a few days intil I can get some new control levers on it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

I always carry a spare clutch lever.  It's broken off a little short from a previous incident, but more than long enough to function.  You really don't want to get stranded by a broken off, too short to work, clutch lever.  I'm not concerned about breaking a front brake lever.  One can easily ride with just the rear brake.  Cheers.

MotorPlow

Dave, that really sux. If you need anything, let me know. The centerstand can sink in the asphalt too, best bet is to use something under the sidestand. For the longest time, I used an old Vermont motorcycle tag. I recently acquired a side stand place that someone left behind in a campground.

Serendipity

OMG! Dave that beyond sucks!! But at the very least you were a good example of a bad day for us all.

Could have been any one of us.....I don't know your home situation but I hope you have someone at home to help you lick your wounds or at the very least hand you a cold beer.

Lucky

Quote from: Serendipity on June 09, 2006, 11:58:00 PM
I hope you have someone at home to help you lick your wounds or at the very least hand you a cold beer.

Dipity, you have a weird homelife... oh wait, it's a figure of speech...uh...nevermind...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:'( Bad news buddy....fix your-self first.....Cold compress for the leg and a BEER for your pride.... ;).
.......Oh yer.....let me know if you need any part(s), there yours....NO CHARGE.

8)       TIGER8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

;D  ;D  Thanks Tiger and everyone else.   ;D

Spent all day on my feet at work..busy hospital and behind my thigh is killing me.  I think its my hamstring.  Definitely going to do the cold compress.

Im doing OK for parts.  I found a new set of levers on ebay for $19.00.  I have the turn signal housing but not the lens though.

Im planning on pulling the tank off at the end of the season to repaint it and use a better sprayer, so I'll fill in the little dimples then.

My pride will heal in time.   :'(

Take Care,

David

Mutt

Sorry to hear about your incident Dave. Hope your alright and can get things back to normal with your bike.

The side stand thing almost happened to me one time but someone recognized my bike (heavy gs750) and notified me it was sinking. I was able to save it but not before the stand buried itself enough that I had to get help getting it out. Also our engineering officer was not very happy with me since it was a new parking lot.

Lapse in judgement can easily happen when your upset. I got mad once because a driver shot across my lane from the right to make a u-turn, cutting me off. I was so upset I decided I was going to chase him down and beat his ass  ::). Just as I got past the turn area I was going to cross the grass median. I didn't know there was a paved curb there because grass was growing over it. I was on a Suzuki Intruder (only good for a 40 minute ride by-the-way). My front tire rubbed up against the curb and I slowly dumped it on it's side...in the fast lane of a busy road. Lots of entertainment for passing motorist.

Quote from: Serendipity on June 09, 2006, 11:58:00 PM
OMG! Dave that beyond sucks!! But at the very least you were a good example of a bad day for us all.

Could have been any one of us.....I don't know your home situation but I hope you have someone at home to help you lick your wounds or at the very least hand you a cold beer.

On another note.....Wow what choices! wound licking  :P or cold beer? Hmmmmm....... :-X
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Serendipity

Man....so how many of Mutt's little avatar quotes have I inspired now?? LOL

Honestly, when I first started writing that, I really did only intend it in the most cliche' way...then Tailwheel was reading over my shoulder and reminded me exactly where the injury was and thought I might want to rethink my wording....naw. ;)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Serendipity on June 12, 2006, 09:15:33 AM

Honestly, when I first started writing that, I really did only intend it in the most cliche' way...then Tailwheel was reading over my shoulder and reminded me exactly where the injury was and thought I might want to rethink my wording....naw. ;)

cold compress (self applied)  No beer, Absolutely no sympathy.  Just a HMMMPH!  No wound licking. ::-(

David

MotorPlow

Dave,
What color does your Mother-In-Law want you to paint the bike that will keep it from falling over?  ;)

YellowJacket!

Is that a trick Question?  She seems to like the yellow.  But maybe red may be a good color.  Bouncy Ball red.  Bike falls over and bounces right back up.

Man, my typing skills are shot today.

David

Mutt

Quote from: Serendipity on June 12, 2006, 09:15:33 AM

Hopefully I'm not the only one on this board with a sick sense of humor! It's something I would have said too. Something I didn't think about at the time is where the injury was located (goin).  :D

Actually, I would have gone for the beer!  ::)

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

Oh happy day!  The Brake and Clutch levers arrived today after only two days.  NIce satin black aluminum.  Took the old ones off and mounted the new ones.  Strained to straighten the signal mount on the faiiring bracket and reallign my turn signals.  Put the key in and hit the start button and she started right up.
Now...off to practice some slow speed manuvers.

David