News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Newby lookin at a possible Vision project - need VIN confirmation

Started by Dom, June 09, 2006, 06:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom

Found a potential project - a '82l VISION in fair/poor shape - owner is asking $250.    Looks like it was droped on the right side - front/rear turn signals and throttle damaged.   No brusing on the tank or seat that I can see.    Seat is faded.   Gages are starting to fade.  How is the parts availability for these bikes????

VIN is JYA11H009CA003148   Can anyone confirm the model year???

Thanks

Dom

YellowJacket!

Hi Dom and Welcome!

Can't tell you much about the VIN.  I think Mutt knows a lot about them though.  As far as parts go, ebay is a good source for used parts.  DGY and some other sources as well as our resident parts emporium, Tiger, you should be set up.  Most, if not all of us have some form or another of extra parts or parts bikes.  As for the project, mine was pretty rotted up when I got it.  It was really a fun project to work on and even more fun to ride.  Total spent was about $800.00 (bike was free).

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Superfly

I believe the "C" in the Vin number denotes 82 ("D" is the 83)

$250 sounds about right.  I paid $200 for my first one.  They are really fun project bikes, and after a couple of bonding hours (aka wrenching) they can run great.

Parts are readily available for this bike, many of us on the forum have parts for sale, just post what you need.

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Some clues for model year - first, check your steering neck.  There should be a date of manufacture there.  Also, 82s had a single front disc brake & most did not have a full fairing.  83s have a fuel gauge while 82s do not.  Also, the 83 speedo goes to 140 PH - the 82s just to 85.  The 83s were all made in black.  The 82s were silver, red or black.  While those items can be changed (as some of us have), they are good initial clues of which year your bike is.

Parts numbers for the different parts are also noted with 11H for 82 & 11U for 83.  May not be universal, but generally holds true.  Can't recall my serial# offhand, but I believe its 3193 so your bike was made just a few later than mine.  I'm fairly sure you have an 82.  With the above clues, you should be able to determing what you have for sure.

Welcome to the greatest ownership forum you're likely to ever find.  Buy the project & have tons of fun with it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

also, if the emissions sticker is still inder the sider panel, it'll say something like "...conforms to model year 1982..." 
That is IF it's the original panel...but it's a clue...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black