News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My Yamaha Vision XZ550

Started by arosa5, June 10, 2006, 01:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arosa5

Hello,

I am very excited to see The Vision starting to back to live. Maybe some one can help me with mine?

+++++
I have a 1982 Yamaha Vision that I cannot get running. I have good start fire, but it seems like its not getting plenty of gas. It has not been ran for ~3years, I cleaned the carbs, replaced all of the lines, fluids, spark plugs, battery, and tank but it back fires like a freak!! I thought it was gonna blow me up. Ive gotton it to turn over yet I have to throttle it to keep it on (make sense?). I am at the end of my knowledge about this.
+++++

Many thanks in advance,
Angel :-)

MotorPlow

Angel,
I put a comment on your Blog. Welcome to the Forum and welcome to your new extended Family. We can get your Vision back to running condition. Don't hestiate to ask questions. The more running Visions, the better!

MotorPlow

arosa5

Hello Chris,
    First of all thanks for the post.

Ok, How can I check the compression? Do I need special equipment for this?

Sparks checked.

petcock on Prime and ok.

Checked the vacuum... I removed the line that goes under the petcock and turned the bike on and I felt a sucking action from it. I am thinking that is good.

I have ran the bike in the position on. I have to keep on the throttle to keep it on...

I will try it with the petcock on Prime.

I will post a mov and a few pics.

More pics and a mov of throttle.
    http://www.ra5.com/other/other.html

Angel
    6:35 PM

Lucky

How did you clean the carbs? spraying them out is not good enough. The pilot (low) speed jet is located in the well under the carb, & no amount of carb spray will clean it out. the carbs have to be removed & the jet pulled to clean the jet.  Dipping the carbs (taking them apart) is the only proper way to do it.

the pilot jets are responsible for idle & low speed running. once they are clean you must properly synq the carbs & set the pilots.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

Four questions:

1. Have you played with the idle screw? I know you have backfireing etc. but getting it to idle helps with everything else.

2. How's your YICS?

3. Did you sync the carbs after cleaning them?

4. Have you played with the pilot screws?
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

MotorPlow

Yes, to check the compression you will need a compression gauge. The gauge screws into the spark plug hole and when you crank the engine it will register in PSI. I got my compression gauge for about $30 in an auto parts store.  If you can't find one, you can borrow mine if you pay for shipping both ways. I wasn't comfortable disassembling my carbs, so I sent them to RickG and he did a great job for something like $100. Well worth the money. When I got the carbs back, I bolted them on and the bike started. All I had to do was sync them.