News:

Main Menu

My first helmet cam vid

Started by Extent, June 12, 2006, 06:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Extent

I bought a little Swan micro security camera to play with and I recorded my favorite bits from my usual ride this weekend.  The quality of the camera is really pretty bad, but it's only 40 bucks so I suppose that's to be expected.  I tried it with the 120* lense today, but it looks like it dosen't have an IR filter (my suit is black, not grey) so the CCD gets overloaded quite a bit, it ends up washing out most of the colors (I did a bit of post processing to try and clean it up, but it still looks pretty bad)

Sound may be a little out of sync because I had to record to an MD and add it back in in post, I just need to get a battery powered pre for the mic in the future, that's easy to fix.

I forgot to label the roads but in order they are Kings Mountain Rd., Stage Rd., and Pescadero Rd.  The video is pretty long (32 minutes) but if you're like me and you like ride along videos with no music to obscure the sound of the bike to play in the background while doing other things you just may like it.

--edit--
messed up the encode, have to fix it and reupload the file....

--edit again--
ok all fixed
--file removed--
85MB DivX avi
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Glad to see some more Vision video out there!  Too bad I can't get it to run.  I'm on broadband (cable) and waited for over 5 minutes - nothing came up.  Will try again later, when I have more time.  Hope to see it soon!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

It won't play until the entire thing has downloaded, DivX won't stream.  It's best to right click and "Save link as.." then just open the file when it's done downloading.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

supervision

I just get the sound for some reason?  nice sound though no distortion
" border="0

haunter

Quote from: supervision on June 13, 2006, 07:56:54 AM
I just get the sound for some reason?  nice sound though no distortion

go to www.divx.com and dl the codec
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lead_Deficiency

Cool video's guys! took only 7-1/2 minutes to download it. I needed to get the viewer to open it.

Love the sound, Should link all the ROV video's into 1 post. It would be nice to see a walk around of the bikes to show what mods have been done.

Maybe if there's a few more and if the original video is better than the downloadable versions, they could be burnt onto a dvd ?

nice job

LD

MotorPlow

That was a great video! Two things I really liked about it..

1. I loved seeing the tach needle up in the 7K-8K range, that was cool.

2. With the helmet cam, it's neat to be able to see how you look through your corners.

Great!

h2olawyer

Didn't realize it was so long when I first tried to get it last night.  Waited for it to download & it works great.  Fun road & great ride.  Skipped through it but hope to see the whole thing sometime later today.

I need to find a place to post some longer stuff.  My webpage host - Comcast - limits me to 25mb.  Not enough for any good videos.  I have one ride video that fits on 2 DVDs.  100 miles & just under 2 hours.  Have it edited with music because on that ride, the wind noise drowned out all the other sounds.  For the short clips, I just like playing with the software a bit so I add the music.  It's easy enough to edit out for untampered audio, though.

I'll shoot a walk around of my V tomorrow, now that I'll have some time to ride and my mind will be back where it needs to be when I toss a leg over the seat once again.  It may take a few days to get it posted, but I'll have something up soon.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dj

Extent - Do you live by that series of roads?  That looks like a lot of twisties! 8)  How many corners?
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

Extent

Ya I try and keep the tach up above 5 or 6k when I'm going at it, I'm usually hunting for power.  I usually shift at about 8 because the power starts dropping off there anyway.  Sometimes when I'm not paying attention I'll over downshift when I'm already at 6k and I'll get the rear wheel loose, fun times :o :o

I really kind of prefer the helmet mount on the camera.  Putting it on the bike is easier, but I like seeing the road ahead.

I'm kind of surprised how the sound came out, it actually is pretty distorted (a mild crunch at high revs) but once it was compressed it smoothed out alot.

You can also use the FFDshow codec to play the file, which I prefer over the DivX.com one personally
http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+ffdshow
It's included in the Combined Community Codec Pack with many other popular net distro codecs (like h.264).  You can just grab this one if you want an easier setup.
http://www.cccp-project.net/

QuoteI have one ride video that fits on 2 DVDs.  100 miles & just under 2 hours.
mmmm, I like.  My host is really fast, but I've only got 1gig of space online and I've got most of that used up.  I've been meaning to set myself up a server here at work, it's not nearly as fast (only a T1) but it would be virtually unlimited space.  I'ld love to host anything that anyone wants to put up somewhere.

My biggest problem with music is when you get a lot of videos that have "phat trackzz" layed down on top of them, and I can't stand that so I end up just muting it.  I make up my own soundtrack by just playing whatever music I feel like at the same time that I'm running a video.  Sometimes though there'll be an awesome clip where their music just seems to work like this one of a guy going nuts on an RZ350  ;D
http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=4991

I'm less than 20 miles away from there, round trip is about 98 miles and it takes me 2hrs 20 minutes.  I have no idea how many turns it is, but I have ideas for some other videos that I'll be doing maps and stats and stuff for, and I'll be counting them then :)  I really want to head back out to Mt. Hamilton again, that place is absolute heaven for me, 28miles and over 300 turns, just to the first stop sign  ;D ;D ;D

zore

I ended up putting music in my video only because the wind noise was so bad.   If I could have gotton a nice exhaust note, I would have let it be.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Ron_McCoy

Cool video Mark, nice ride.  Fairing and mirrors look very stabil. Good work on that project.

Ron

Extent

No need to create a new post, I just put up a part of this weeks ride.  This time it's unedited, just 50 minutes straight start to finish.  I used the 90* lense this time, color is much much better, but the quality is still very poor and I really miss being able to see the front of the bike in the bottom of the frame.

This time the road sequence is Kings Mountain, Skyline, La Honda, Pescadero, Bean Hollow
http://levanthia.com/forum/download.php?id=988
165MB DivX avi

I also did a full sized version of just the Bean Hollow Road section at a higher video bit rate.  This one is how the video looks right off the tape (and is why you don't buy a cheap security camera to do helmet cam videos :P) , it's only about 4 minutes long.
http://levanthia.com/forum/download.php?id=987
36MB DivX AVI

I know something is wrong with the videos on the last couple turns of Bean Hollow, but I don't know if it was the recording or on the tape, and it's just not worth it to try and fix it.