News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Helmets

Started by Kevin, June 17, 2006, 10:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

In the last three weeks three bike riders I know have been in accidents, The first 2 had cars turn left in front of them and the third hit a deer last night. None of these guys wore helmets, the first two died. The guy that hit the deer was flown to St Louis with severe head injuries. I came up on one of these wrecks shortly after, the bike had little damage.the corerner said if he had been wearing a helmet he would have walked away.  Dress for the fall not the ride. :(

kwells

agreed...My first bike I had only a helmet but I was pretty dumb when I was 18.  Now I am up with the times...armor inserts on their way as we type....have the jacket, helmet, gloves...just have to settle on the pants...still looking for the right ones...any ideas?
I was driving up to Hattiesburg, MS to go look at tank bags at the Triumph dealer and saw 2 wrecks on a high speed road (49) and all I could think was dang...wonder what that have done to a biker.

Kevin W
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

:) 2 x Helmet's....Full face.
:) 2 x jacket's....I x Joe Rocket kevlar jacket for cooler/wet day's of riding, 1 x Airtex/mesh material jacket for hot weather riding, both have: shoulder, knee, elbow/forarm & spine armor.... 8)
:) 2 x Pant's.....1 x "Roadkrome" leather with knee and hip armor, full inner lining.....veeeeery comfortable.....Bought them BRAND NEW off of e-bay for less than $45.00..... :o and 1 x pair of Airtex/mesh material with knee and hip armor.... 8)
:) 2 x pair of glove's....1 x Leather with knuckle armour and 1 x pair of Airtex/mesh material gloves.... 8)
:) 1 x pair of "Nitro" leather sport boot's with shin, ankle & calf armour and slider's.....the most comfortable foot wear I think I have ever owned.... 8).

Always "Better safe than Sorry"....Road rash, skin graft's and broken bone's are to be avoided at all cost......HOW MUCH ARE YOU WORTH TO YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONE'S...... ???
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

I'll be the first to say it:
Helmet laws Suck!
(they aren't tough enough)

I get so tired of seeing platoons of Harleys zoom by wearing leather vests, shorts, sunglasses. and MAYBE work boots!
when they ride by my whole family yells out "roadkill!". it's kind of a compition to see who can yell it out first...

temporrary end of never-ending rant mode...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Glyn

As well as having decent gear and a helmet, get a cheap small bike for bad weather, one which won't go too fast and can be easily picked up/kicked straight in a fall. Keep the Vision for the good weather (about 5 months here).

Tiger

Quote from: Glyn on June 18, 2006, 11:19:54 PM
As well as having decent gear and a helmet, get a cheap small bike for bad weather, one which won't go too fast and can be easily picked up/kicked straight in a fall. Keep the Vision for the good weather (about 5 months here).
.....Hmmmm.....Like a Harley.. ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Lucky

Well the Harley guys had a "Vision engine toss" (yep, i have pics) so maybe for the 25th we could toss a Harley too...off a mountain! LOL!!!!

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on June 19, 2006, 06:58:05 AM
Well the Harley guys had a "Vision engine toss" (yep, i have pics) so maybe for the 25th we could toss a Harley too...off a mountain! LOL!!!!

;D ;D ;D :D     [move]  COOL  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

zore

Riding a motorcycle with out a helmet is like jumping out of an air plane with out a parachute as far as I'm concerned.  Those brain buckets equate to jumping out of a plane with a zip lock storage bag.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Extent

But jumping out with only a baggie is what real tough guys do, plus it really lets you feel the wind in your hair.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

YellowJacket!

I feel nekked without my helmet.

David

Ps.  If you are going to get a harley, your'e going to have to get a trailer too.

pps.  Lucky, its a long ride from Rhode Island to Tennessee and you will see a lot of bikers on the way...yer gonna get very tired of hearing "ROADKILL!!"  ;D

DA

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

h2olawyer

Quote from: haunter on June 19, 2006, 07:25:11 PM
Quote from: DaveTN on June 19, 2006, 11:57:39 AM
I feel nekked without my helmet.

x2

DITTO!

Here's my normal riding apparrel these days (helmet hanging on mirror & armored gloves stuffed someplace convenient:

I firmly believe you dress for the crash & not the ride.  Glad the leather is perforated!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Forgive me H2O but I just couldnt help it:

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Naw, you were close, but looks more like this:  ;D

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

h2olawyer

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
Gotta love the Storm Trooper uniforms!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

DID SOMEBODY SAY STORMTROOPERS?!

;D
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

haunter

scout trooper wheelie FTW

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on June 19, 2006, 08:03:20 PM
Here's my normal riding apparrel these days (helmet hanging on mirror & armored gloves stuffed someplace convenient:

And if you talk really friendly-like, you can steer his face with his mustache.   ;D

Brian (sorry, it was the first thing that came into mind!)