News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Creative ideas for an extra battery?

Started by dchakrab, June 21, 2006, 12:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

So after the trade-in of the old battery, and Kmarts screwups, I paid about $7 for the lower-powered battery. I'm about to replace it with the right battery, so I'll effectively have a spare battery that's good enough to start and run the V if I need it.

So, ideas for what I could do with it?

I was wondering if there'd be a way to mount it on the V so it's also charging, as a secondary power supply...possibly as something to power a phone / laptop? I'll build the first digital / wifi enabled V someday.

Can stator + R/R charge two batteries on one bike without anything dying?

Does it sound like it would work to have a second battery for charging / powering electronics stuff?

What are other uses I could put a secondary battery to? I know a wireless internet activist in Ghana who used two car batteries to extend the life of a standard UPS to 24 hours of computer power, so I'm trying to think of something useful to do with this one...it's too cheap to return :D

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

kwells

Hmmm...well in theory the stator shouldn't have to work any harder to keep 2 batteries charged if the same amt of energy is used by the bike...neglecting extra wire resistance to feed the 2nd one. 

Kmart is pretty good about even trades...can always go in there without the receipt and tell them you have the wrong size and they should give you store credit for the amt that is listed in the system which should be close to what the correct battery costs.  Doesn't matter what they charged you as long as they dont know what the receipt says. 

If you intend to place high energy demands on the V's charging system you might find yourself going through stators more quickly than average but there are some that have electric vests, radar detectors, extra lights, etc....and I haven't heard much negative feedback on them.  Use the search on the forum and see if anyone has posted anything on extra power usage.

Kevin W
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dchakrab

Well, there was an old thread on heated vests and power consumption...the thing is, if a regular battery can handle that kind of power draw, then no point adding a spare...or is there?

I'd like a creative new use for the spare, if possible...

Hmmm. Not sure I want to try an even trade, since the Kmart customer service people commented several times on the fact that I got really lucky with a price mistake to get a battery for $16, and they weren't sure i the system would take the $10 off for recycling the old one because it was so low. I'll have to wait a little while they forget, I think. This Kmart's a zoo...I'm not too sure they'll even do a trade without a receipt.

D.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

kwells

If you got the battery on the weekends then go to return on a weekday...If you go it in the day then go in the evening...usually the Part timers won't give a rat's ass it would be the full timers...and they tend to work the same shifts always.  Without a receipt they will only give you store credit so you will have to pick or order from the batteries they carry.

I wouldn't worry about a 2nd battery really.  Just get the most cranking amps that you can in that particular size and it should provide you with everything you need. 

Kevin W
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dchakrab

Hmmm...that's an idea.

I'm going to need a battery for the second V, when I'm ready to that running.

Right now, I have a brand new battery for V #1...I could actually save some money I suppose, and return the battery I just charged, and then go in at a different time to try and exchange the lower-powered one for a better one. Hmmm.

Returning the other battery would get me ~$40, which would help considerably with the $250 I need to tax, title, and insure this V. Tempting...of course, if I can just get my act together and land another website development deal, I'll be all set.

Dave.

Walt_M.

While we're on batteries, I have a story about my Walmart battery. My starter started giving me grief toward the last week of April. I was getting ready for my temporary move to Ohio for hurricane season and did not have time to mess with changing it out and moved the bike here then.
We completed the move with the rest of the stuff the first week of June and just last Sunday, I got the starter changed out.
Amazingly enough, she cranked right up! No trickle charge or anything, not bad for a $36, 16 month old battery.
Just one note, when I put the starter on in 2003, I used a plumbing shop 'O' ring on the starter nose, I think it cost $.50. It had not leaked in all that time but it was deformed and I would not have used it again. The starter I installed this time had a factory 'O' ring on it and it seems to be holding ok.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Extent

I just ordered a new factory O ring for my starter, last time I re-used the old one and it's leaked bad ever since.

When the bike is running it'll only draw off the battery when your charging system can't keep up, like when one leg of the stator dies.  The only time you really used the battery is when you're starting the bike, and then to power any accessories you added on when the engine is off.

Personally I have no idea where you'ld stash a second battery.  As long as you've got enough power to reliably start the bike I'ld just leave it.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

kiawrench

i have extra battery on board, but then , i have a big trunk to stash it in, it is not set up to run the v , but i can run my laptop or cell phone charger, radar detector , gps, or whatever small device i may need for several hours . when i stop for a stretch, i set my jumper cables between the bike and the spare power battery, and let it recharge for 5 or ten minutes .

the jumpers are self made, and so far , have jumped several harleys,a suzuki and a ducati, but never a vision!! if anyone wants the recipe for a set of motorcycle jump cables, ask away and i will post that --- i think total cost is 8.00 US compared to almost 50.00 from a bike shop
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

d0n