News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

WARNING!!! MUST READ!!

Started by Lucky, June 21, 2006, 02:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

ok guys,, read it ,live learn it ,love it!!

i have my bike down for major service, checked those bolts i put in after lesson at the dragon,, i used stainless bolts to lock the bar on my current vision, ,cross drilled and safety wired. the bolts are great, but my safety wire needs some help, so i bought a set of wire spinners from jc whitney. am thinking of race wiring the entire bike when i rip it down for frame up.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Cdnlouie

The biggest issue affecting these bolts and it is true of all bikes that use this design is the overtorqueing that happens when the rear wheel is changed. Everyone just gets carried away on this little guy and often times breaks them off in installation, which is very fortunate since if they go down the road overtorqued and stressed (like some people you meet on the road), it is just a matter of time before they release.  It is a great idea to inspect this bolt especially the rear one on the brake drum since the forward one is rarely taken off in a wheel installation and thus usually saved from the mechanic who thinks "tighter is righter."

Good advice to bring this topic up and post a warning for all motorcycles,

Louie

Serendipity

OK...so I take those numbers Hfarley posted (attached to #29 and #34 bolts) and bring them to my local Yamaha Dealer and they will get me those bolts?? Since getting home from the Dragon, I'm on a roll now making time at night in the workshop with the War Mare and want to get this important stuff done.

jasonm.

I hardly use the rear brake over 20mph. Meaning I use it just before I stop. My fronts are quite strong. Not like the new bikes of today. But my special pads helped much.  I looked...good. May change them on a rainy day. I have spares that are hardly worn. P.S. I know in an emergency the rear brake should be used also... But using the front as the primary(first reaction) avoids 99% of skids.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

VisionaryDan

Thanks for posting this - it made me nervous enough to order both bolts yesterday for both of my Vs. It's worth the $3 each just for the peace of mind.

Dan

glennw

Maybe I got hosed... $9.00... from the dealer for both bolts, washers & nuts.
Cheap insurance ...... I was surprised to find to fork pinch bolts are discontinued...(mine look real crummy) Does anyone know what grade they are? I don't know what the markings mean... :-\
Dumb G..
Half Mad Max

admin

The missing diagram:

Make no mistake, the most often reason for these failing is because the person that
worked on the bike has absolutely no idea what 14ftlbs of torque is, ( if they even looked in the manual)
once they've been overtightened, the damage is done.

Don't let monkees ruin your day or worse.