removing alternator rotor

Started by haunter, June 18, 2006, 04:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haunter

any suggestions?  I cannot get it to budge!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Lucky

did you read the procedure on my site? http://www.xz550.com/starterclutch.html
Particuarly step #6. get a big freakin hammer..
serously a big hammer & bigger cahonies.  you gotta go Tool Time on that sucker

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

got'er

thanks lucky

my pop decided a good addition to our tool set was a wheel puller, and that took her right off
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Glyn

Harmonic balanced puller, lots of heat from a heat gun, lots of time and - a big hammer. Keep something between you and the rotor, or keep out of it's way, mine flew off like an ICBM.

Tdub

Always Looking for the Next Race

haunter

Quote from: Glyn on June 18, 2006, 11:46:52 PM
Harmonic balanced puller, lots of heat from a heat gun, lots of time and - a big hammer. Keep something between you and the rotor, or keep out of it's way, mine flew off like an ICBM.

I'm glad mine didn't or it would have nailed the door on a 99 Camaro SS that my dad and I have put a good 40 hours into, its his baby, I think I would have been dead :-X

YellowJacket!

You don't even want to know what trying to blow a stuck caliper piston out with compressed air will do.... been there, done that.  A couple degrees in the opposite direction and I would not be typing this.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ps2/bikevision

i remember that post. that was some funny stuff. i had fun with the two ive had to pull. the first was with an impact gun and the other a hammer and wrench. oh how i dont releish doing it again

louthepou

I'm about to do just what haunter did. I do have a question.

I have a puller, and the big bolt that's going to push on the shaft has a beveled end. The hole in the shaft is also beveled. Is there a chance the thread wil be damaged? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your tips...

And I hope it's going to be as smooth as with Haunter's!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

haunter

Quote from: louthepou on June 20, 2006, 11:53:28 AM
I'm about to do just what haunter did. I do have a question.

I have a puller, and the big bolt that's going to push on the shaft has a beveled end. The hole in the shaft is also beveled. Is there a chance the thread wil be damaged? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your tips...

And I hope it's going to be as smooth as with Haunter's!

Lou

my vote goes to most likely not, mine was slightly angled in as well to ensure tha tit fits multiple holes I am sure.......

I have an OEM Equipment one purchased from autozone

h2olawyer

My Harbor Freight special with a tapered end didn't hurt anything.  I used a pneumatic impact wrench & never even needed the big hammer.  It came free with hardly any resistance at all.  I know it was factory tight as nobody had been that far into the engine before.  Investing in a compressor & air tools was one of the more intelligent things I've done in a long time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: louthepou on June 20, 2006, 11:53:28 AM

Thanks for your tips...

"you feelin lucky? there's a nice thread here about someone who messed their up

I used a spare bolt threaded into the crankshaft and pushed against that. If your puller has a pointed end, drill a shallow dimple in the sacrificial bolt. My sears one came with both a point and a flat foot.

You may need to get longer bolts for the puller. Grade 8

do not tighten the bolts too far into the flywheel or you'll bend the tin on the starter clutch.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

louthepou

Well, I'll be damned, I removed my first rotor! (Hard to believe...)

:)

Lou

Night Vision

good job Lou! it is hard to believe with all your bikes (2?) and miles that that was your first stator. apparently without any problems too.

was it crispy?
;D

louthepou

Well, reality is sometimes more complicated!  :D

Red Vision (Cafe Racer): bought used in 1987.
1st engine, dead tie-rod. Original owner probably didn't believe in good quality oil. Found replacement engine in a used bike parts place. (around 1989)
2nd engine, dead crank bearings (really. Turned to filing.) (around 1995?). Let's just say that these were the years of running very seriously and paying lots of fines. Ah, the joys of learning. Found a third engine from a donor bike I bought for $100, low milage.
That 3rd engine: been running fine since, and stator is not burnt yet. But output isn't as high as I would like it... so likely on its way out. Starter clutch is just fine, though. The milage has to be over 30,000 miles on that one for sure.

Yellow Vision: been working on it for two years. Only things left: revamp starter clutch and change stator. The stator doesn't look toasted yet, but isn't giving anything; got a few spare side covers, so just swapping it while I'm doing the starter clutch. That bike is the result of a merge between an 83 with a busted engine and an 82 in better shape I bought together two years ago.

New spare bike (got it last week): probably good engine (need to clean the carbs first to get it started).

Other spare engine from another, grey donor bike (three years ago): stored, running fine.

Other engine from a (burgundy) donor bike acquired last year: Unknown. But it is now missing a left side cover... that's going in the yellow bike!

I can only remember two more engines, one that went to the scrap yard and one that I shipped.

Geez, that means I bought something like six or seven Visions. It's worst than I thought.

Lou

Night Vision

Quote from: louthepou on June 24, 2006, 07:44:38 PM

Geez, that means I bought something like six or seven Visions. It's worst than I thought.

whoa.. reality checks can suck... I don't think so in this case :D
;D