News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Ricks stators

Started by bikehandle, November 25, 2004, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikehandle

Need some feed back.
How does Ricks rebuilds stack up against his new stators? and does his rebuilds come with connectors and rubber grommets?
Thanks!!
Bikehandle
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Superfly

I was thinking the same thing... has anyone used them?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

h2olawyer

Rick's website lists only a new stator for the Vision.  I was unaware they had rebuilt ones.  They do have rebuilt starter motors for the Vision - as well as starter brush sets.  The new stators from Rick's do come with the connectors & rubber grommets attached.

I installed a Rick's stator & R/R last Spring (2004).  The insulation coating is a thin, clear material that doesn't look as robust as either the original or the electrex units.  Rick's replacement R/R is idenitcal to the original stock one from Yamaha - same Japanese manufacturer & numbers.  Both now have about 1,000 miles on them and are still working fine.

I ordered them from Dennis Kirk - actually a little less $$ than direct from Rick's & no shipping on orders over $100.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

I've got the same, both from Dennis Kirk as well.  I haven't had any problems with them, but I've only a couple hundered miles on them as yet.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Rick G

Ricks used to sell rebuilds, but I don't believe they still do.
I put an Eletrex in a year and a half ago and change the RR to  a one from a Kawasaki kz1100 , the heat sink is larger  and it was recommended as an improvment. When I bought my Eletrex , Ricks guarentee was only 6 months , since then they have increased it to one year.    
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ALLEY CAT

I rebuilt my stator. Took two tries but it's charging properly and only cost me about twenty dollars each time I rewound it.
It was fun and tough and aggravating and scarey and best of all, I accomplished something very few folkes have tried.

This bike allows you to be MORE than you were if you are brave..

kiawrench

rather than deal with the grief of rewinding on my own, i bought a stator from ricks, have had it about a year now, no problems ,still charging fine , but i also upgraded to the kz 1100 r/r - bigger cooling fins, less of a heat problem, just made sure i moved it to rear foot peg for best cooling (was going to put it up front, but was butt-ugly ,so rear peg it is)
rick warranties his product for one full year, and doesnt yell about "professional install only" they do recommend changing r/r and stator as a set, but then- who is going to check while you do the work? install it right, rick's stuff lasts .
  one last note: rick's does the actual building of the products, they dont buy from a off shore discount rewinder like some other dealers are doing .  hmm. like that in a company, sell what you build,build what you sell.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Cdnlouie

Yes, I put in a Rick's as well about two years ago and used my old Yamaha R/R, comes with all the attachments.  However, I do have a very slight oil film most likely from the rubber grommet.

If I actually washed my bike more often it would probably not show up, but once the summer hits no time for washing.

Lou   :)

h2olawyer

Hi Lou -

Can't blame the oil leak on Rick's!  Sounds like installer error to me.  I've got the same issue.  Was not leaking from when I did the stator in May until just before I loaded up for the Cal trip at the end of September.  Glad I've got what looks like a long winter to reseal that left cover & those pesky grommets.  ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.