Where do you keep your RPM's

Started by 67GTO, June 24, 2006, 05:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67GTO

I'm getting more used to riding the Vision now, and I was wondering at lower speeds around town what gear do you stay in,or RPM do you aim for at say 30mph,40mph,and 50mph?

In other words is there a RPM that is the most efficient or best for engine life?
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Lucky

wherever it's most fun!! i'll worry about fixing it if it breaks!! ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

mine seems to like 3500-4250 for just tooling around town. which gear I'm in depends. I can go down to 35mph in 5th and do a roll on (on the flat) without any obvious lugging. 4th gear for me covers a lot of different speeds.

45-55 mph seems to be the gray area. Should I be in 4th or 5th?
Some days, it seems like when you're doing 55-60 in 5th gear you want to shift into 6th gear.  ???

Last night I was allegedly spotted in 5th gear doing 80-85 mph playing around with one of those 2007 Mercedes S 550’s on the Interstate.

For some reason, I think he was much more comfortable doing 85 than I was.... allegedly speaking, that is  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

7600-9200...unless I need to go faster
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

louthepou

Hmm Kwells, must be an R6 you got there  ;D

I like my V because it's a small torquey engine. I like to rev it when accelerating, but other wise when crusing around 40 mph or over, I'm always in 5th. I shift through the first three gears pretty early.

I will cruise in the higher rpm's when in 5th on the highway.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

In town acceleration, I normally stay below 6500 - 7000 RPM.  Out of town, I let it rip to 9000 - 9500 RPM.  Generally cruising, I normally ride at around 5000 - 6000 RPM.  Keeps me above the rare stumble I still experience around 4000.  Don't want it when I need power.  I am gradually turning my mixture a little richer (less than 1/8 turn at a time) & the stumble occurs even less often.  I know it's getting extremely close to right on.  As an added benefit, it runs a tiny bit cooler now as well.  Too lean will run hotter but the plugs have always shown a nice chocolate brown so it hasn't been much too lean.

Not going to richen it up any more before I do the Rocky Mountain National Park ride Sunday (tomorrow).  Don't want it too rich @ over 12,000 ft.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

Lou, I know what you mean about reving it, especially with the Mac exhaust!   I love the sound.

I guess around town (about 30mph) I'm at about 4000

Tdub

We like to keep our Visions geared to come off the corner at about 9500rpm and about 12.5 at the end of the straight ;D
Always Looking for the Next Race

JakeC

67GTO

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tdub on June 25, 2006, 09:54:39 PM
about 12.5 at the end of the straight ;D

Don't try this at home folks, professional driver on a closed course, etc...  ;)

Night Vision

Quote from: DeadDirtyVision on June 26, 2006, 01:30:37 PM
Quote from: Tdub on June 25, 2006, 09:54:39 PM
about 12.5 at the end of the straight ;D

Don't try this at home folks, professional driver on a closed course, etc...  ;)

I go to the red zone once in awhile.... if I can get one of them slidin shoes, can I go pro?
woo hoo!
come on Tdub.. I'm younger than Springer!
;D

Walt_M.

I like to keep my rpms inside the engine! If you let them outside, the engine will stop working. This is similar to electricity. Electricity is operated by smoke, if you let the smoke out of something electrical, it will stop working.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

;D

JakeC

Quote from: Walt_M. on June 28, 2006, 08:54:58 AM
I like to keep my rpms inside the engine! If you let them outside, the engine will stop working. This is similar to electricity. Electricity is operated by smoke, if you let the smoke out of something electrical, it will stop working.

LOL...That is awesome, I'm going to have to remember that one!!

Pojo

I would just like to throw out my opinion about RPMs on a bike with MACs. I have never redlined it, and very rarely gone above 6000, mainly because the engine sounds like its about to blow.  When I do get up to the 8000 range, when I shift, and let off the throttle, the bike will just spit a huge backfire out the pipes.

Anyone else have this problem, or feel like they are on a bomb waiting to exploes due to the loudness of the MACs?

Lucky

my Macs are loud, but i don't consider them ear splitting...  most harleys are louder.....  your running problems aren't normal & aren't due to the macs unless there is an exhaust leak....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

zore

So yesterday I tried my hardest to hit 12,500 rpm, now I have a box of hot oily pieces.  Please help!
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

Zore, sometimes it pays to read all of the posts in a thread

Quote from: DeadDirtyVision on June 26, 2006, 01:30:37 PM

Don't try this at home Zore, professional driver on a closed course, etc...  ;)

;D

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900