News:

Main Menu

MSF vs. Non-MSF

Started by dchakrab, June 22, 2006, 04:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

endorsement? MSF?

I got my MC license in NC.... talk about bass-ackwards... (sorry Mutt hopefully you're in school and HOPEFULLY they changed this) it must have been Pre-MSF

I was 21, recently moved to Raleigh, had been riding dirt bikes since I was 5, 50cc Honda through Bultaco 250, stole "pops" CB 360 a couple of times to see my girlfriend when I was 17....bought myself a brand new shiny "81 Yammy XS650 Heritage Edition [what a piece of crap]

went down to NC DMV to get a motorcycle learners permit.... she said..
What? what do you mean MC learners permit...
I said... you know... a permit so I can take a motorcycle out on the road with another licensed rider so I can learn how to ride it...

we don't have that!!!
Well? how am I supposed to learn to ride the motorcycle I just bought?
Am I supposed to drive up and down the drive way?
'Suspose so

ok, no prob.. I KNEW how to ride... went down to take the test (pops drove my bike because he had a license, I drove his car)

First thing they asked... How'd ya git here? I knew it was a "setup" because I had been warned... "I drove my Dad's car and he drove my bike"

Ok, let me go set up the test....

I shit you not... (can I say that?) she took (4) 6" safety cones and set them up a course in the parking lot about 12' wide and 70' long...

she said "start here, up shift, hand signal, turn around those two cones, and come back"

Now...if you've never tried taking a standing bike from start, up shift, hand signal and turn around all in 70' (folks I'm talking about 7 PARKING SPACES!!)... without stalling or falling... you're in for a treat!!!

Well, I did it and got back to start (the other 70' feet back)

So I said to her... wow, that's quite the course!
she said "yeah, it's a good un"

went inside and got my license  ;D

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

glennw

I rode my Vision for 6 months before I took the MSF course ($175.00 here in California). Just the increase in my confidence level riding on pavement was worth the money. I can honestly say the best "disaster" training I have had, has came from riding dirt bikes. It teaches you to react without panic, to let the bike move around beneath you when required and how to correct a lot of squirrelly situations you eventually find youself in. BTW my most basic insurance require by the state cost me $75.00 a year on my V.
GlennW
Half Mad Max

MotorPlow

Wow, The Basic MSF Couses in this area of Virginia are 2.5 days worth of training and cost $50 at the local Community Colleges. Pass the couse and you can apply for your license and skip the road test. Even the Experienced Rider Course I recently took was only $35.00.

Tiger

:o Looks like my southern neighbors get the MSF kinda cheap....... :o
Here its graduated....3 part's over 18 months....minimum.

1 x written test to get your M1 which gets you on the road....with restrictions..No passenger, No 400 series highway riding,No riding dusk to dawn and ZERO tolerance to alcohol.....ZERO....Approx' $25.00 U.S.(written test and license)

2 x M1 exit course....riding part. You can "do" the MSF course or just go to a government test centre....TEST, NO TRAINING (about $70.00 U.S.)
I took mine in Toronto, Ontario...(Canada !!)  August, last year......21/2 day's, Thursday evening for: intro' to the course, paperwork, etc.
8a.m./5p.m. Saturday.......8 a.m./2.30 p.m. Sunday.....2.30 p.m. riding test...Pass rate...Approx' 85%.
There where 80 candidate's for the course, split into 8 group's of 10 with two instructor's. All training, including the riding test, where all done on two huge car park's at Humber College, Toronto....they have the best pass rate.... 8)
Great people who run a "well oiled" course.......SUPERB....at the end of the course they get all the people together and call out the name's of the candidate's (who passed) and present you with a course certificate, the completed paperwork to go and get your license (M2), A "merit" lapel badge and decal, and some discount voucher's for bike gear......The certificate will get you a discount of approx' 10% for your bike insurance....Insurer's WILL ask for a copy..... :o......Cost...approx' $350.00 U.S.....All restriction's dropped except "Zero Tolerance" to alcohol...

3 x M2 exit course.......Minimum 18 month's from M.S F course.....1 day riding the street's of Toronto, Highway, etc. This will give you a "Full" M/C license...Cost...approx' $350.00 U.S.....

.....and after all that the death rate in Ontario is still way to high.......they MUST educate car driver's....... ::)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Katdiva

I had US soldiers fly in from Germany and Korea to take the MSF course because it cost so much for them over there...   I think Germany is around $800.....ahhhhh  .. but then you get to ride real fast ;D
Katdiva
To resist the frigidity of old age one must combine the body, the mind and the heart - and to keep them in parallel vigor one must exercise, study and love.       Karl von Bonstetten
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
      Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

YellowJacket!

KAT!!!!!   wE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU!!  THERE ARE MORE VISION RIDERS IN TENNESSEE!!

I'm in Knoxville and Lucky is moving from Rhode Island to Loudon.  There is another guy in Nashville that contacted me a while back but I have not heard from him in a few months.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)