Dead Dirty Vision

Started by Brian Moffet, July 05, 2006, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

I received a set of Galfer Braided brake lines for the Vision, a two-line system. Today they went on and the bleeding began. Since the old system was a three-line system, the brake lines had to be routed a different path. The old system had a single line that went to a junction in the middle of the forks. From there two lines went to the brakes. The new system has a dual-banjo bolt at the master cylinder, and one line to each brake.

The image at the far left is the center section of the bike that has been recently painted. Pretty much the entire frame has now been painted. I have to do some clean up work on the engine itself, polishing and cleaning, but the bike is looking quite nice now.

And amusingly enough, I need to replace the brake lever because the paint is starting to chip off of it. This on a motorcycle that has never been in an accident in the entire 23 years of its life.
And since the bike was going together, I wanted to put some body-work on, so the front fender went on. I wheeled the vision out of the garage for a shot or two, then back in because it was starting to rain...

Brian Moffet

They said it was going to rain, so I stayed home and worked on the Vision rather than going to the airport and going flying. Needless to say it didn't rain, but I got a lot of work done on the bike...

My goal for today was to get the main wiring harness back into the bike. Not connected yet to anything, but set up and ready for connections. You can see in the image to the left, portions of the wiring harness hanging off the bike. I made sure that it was in there and not interfering with the various cables that I also installed. I now have the starter cable (otherwise called choke), the cluthc cable and the throttle cable connected.

I also cut with a very sharp finely serrated knife the heater hose I use to replace my main radiator line to the back cylinder. I attached the molded line to the cylinder, routed it out to the right side of the bike, and then attached the heater hose to that. The entire thing went into the brackets on the frame and then to the front radiator T. You can see how this is routed and how it looks in the middle and right photos. I've enhanced the lighting in photoshop to make it more obvious. I want to put some clamps on where the join is, but it looks pretty good and doesn't seem to get in the way of anything at all. The parts for the radiator hose are:
part number GoodYear 63244.
a 3/4 to 3/4 coupler
3/4 heater hose about 16 inches (it will be cut down)

supervision

Hey, those  hose splices workout perfect behind the hangers.. Good fit.   Looks stock     The whole bike looks clean and restored, nice job Brian!
" border="0

Brian Moffet

Yeah, I put on the fairing brackets without sanding/painting them.  (the ones by the engine)  I feel dirty and guilty about that...

supervision

You better re-do them, or you'll always bethinking you should have.. Damm Brian, I remember when you used to just ride the thing then park it by a sprinkler if it was too dirty.
" border="0

Brian Moffet

Yesterday and today (I'm taking this week and next off of work on vacation), I polished up some aluminum, not quite a shiny as Kevin's in http://ridersofvision.net/forum/xzindex.php?topic=5772.0 but shiny enough for right now.  I've been putting the vision back together, working from the back to the front.  Most of the electrical in the rear end has been put back in, I am looking at making the running light modification that Lucky made http://www.xz550.com/turnsignals.html

My arms are tired, but the bike is starting to look less like a wreck and more like a bike...

Brian (woo hoo, 600 posts  :) )

Night Vision

did something happen to the links to your site?
used to have the full story and pics.. now it don't  ???
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

I haven't put this latest one up on the site yet, but the rest is there.  My old site changed, the new site is in my signature.

Brian

Night Vision

maybe it's me, but this is all I see with the first link...

My bike is a 1983 Yamaha Vision, purchased new in April of 1986. I put over 40,000 miles on this bike until March 31, 2006. On that date, on a trip to meet other California Riders of Vision members, the front cylinder lost power outside of Paso Robles. You can read the full story of how we managed to get the bike back home.

At the right is a photo taken of my Vision in 2001, it has a Corbin Saddle on it, but otherwise is stock. After the break down, I am now going through the Vision and repairing quite a few things that I wanted to repair, but it was still running. I'll also be including pictures and commentary here about the repairs and things I find wrong. While I refer to this work as a restoration, it will not be a frame up restoration.

second link is the full story

;D

Brian Moffet

Try a different browser.  I have a javascript thing in there that is legal, but your browser may be dropping out?

Brian

Argh.  I hate Internet explorer sometimes....

Night Vision

my bad, works on my computer at work  ???
;D

supervision

Hey Brian!, you missed a spot!,   the side of your license light bracket is post toasty.     Probably been nice weather in Santa Cruz ?   Maybe you can have that thing ready for the  Vampire's  NAKED ride, comming pretty soon....  maybe some pictures of the NAKED ride
" border="0

Brian Moffet

Ugh, three hours later and the exhaust system has been put back on with new head junction gaskets, new copper crush gaskets, and new clamps on the down-tube to Y-connectors.

Also, no one picked up from the photos that I forgot to put the brake line guides on the front end!  ::)

Brian

supervision

I know what you mean on the exhaust, anything not perfect and you can't put it together.   You gona be ready for the Vampire's Naked ride?, comming soon.....
" border="0

Superfly

Brian,

That is really starting to look good (and the SS lines on the front make a HUGE difference!)  It's a lot of work, but it will definately be worth it!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Brian Moffet

Happy New Years Eve.

I had to get something different on the vision before the end of the new year. 

I spent about an hour putting the radiator back on (that thing just needs to be put in just so, or it doesn't want to fit!).  But I was able to get it on, and all the appropriate routing for the hoses, overflow lines,  and fan electrical.

After that, out came the wiring diagram and the routing diagrams.  Carefully making sure I was putting the correct connectors on the proper ends, I carefully plugged everything back in. I ran into a couple of oddities, the odd connector at the back of where the tank sits that I couldn't figure out where it goes (it goes to the fuel sender), and the blue/red line that appears in the fairing harness and doesn't seem to go to anything, it just comes out of the harness!  Most importantly, I wrapped some of the bundles that the plastic was getting frayed with new cable-harness (plastic spiral binding).  I verified everything was in order, and at 4:20 pm, put the battery in. I switched the key and things came on.  The oil pressure light came on, when I flipped the high-beam switch, the high-beam indicator came on.  The turn signals flashed (well, once, I only had the back ones on.)  And the brake light came on when I applied the brakes (both front and back!)

Only one hitch.  The neutral light stayed off.  No matter what I did. I verified the bulb was good with an ohm-meter.  It could be the actual switch, I'm not sure.   By that time it was getting too dark to really tell colors in the garage any more.  So, I left the battery box and TCI hanging from the frame and called it a day (the battery was removed).

But it was good to see lights turn on at the end of 2006.

Happy New Year everyone.

Brian (my cats tell me it's time for some scotch)

Lucky

& it's really easy to swap the oil pressure & nuetral wires by mistake too, but i forget if that turns the light on or keeps it off...
RED for oil
Blue for neutral

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

Would a bad Neutral Safety Switch cause the neutral light not to illuminate as the switch is saying the bike is still in gear? (Just a thought)

Walt_M.

It would, but I would guess adjustment or connection if it was working before the disassembly phase. If the oil pressure and neutral were swapped, the oil pressure would act like the neutral indicator and go out when the transmission is in gear.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Brian Moffet

I don't think I swapped them, I pulled off the wiring harness main-line but kept the other peripheral lines on the bike.  I'll have to check though.  Good thought on the seeing if the oil-warning light goes out when it's in gear :-)

If it is the actual switch, I think that basically means I need to always pull in the clutch when starting, something I always did anyway...

Brian