News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Dead Dirty Vision

Started by Brian Moffet, July 05, 2006, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

But Brian, it's ALLWAYS the idiot turning left in front of you....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

And I do pay attention to their turn signals (actually more their actions)  :)

Brian Moffet

Amusing story. 

I went out to check on the brackets for the lights to see how the paint was doing (they have to black of course!) I looked over on the trunk of my next project (a 1967 Austin Healy Sprite) and saw two really large nuts.  My brain went through all of the nuts I put back on the bike and the ones that are like these, with the shoulders and grip on one side.  I could not remember where they went.  Of course I thought I was missing them on some important part.   I went into the house and started going through the manual to find a 12 - 14 mm nut that comes in a pair...  Couldn't find that combination at all.

I went back into the garage and looked at the bike, the rear end of the bike. "What was I missing?" as I stared at the shorty turn signal stalks.

Doh.

Brian

Brian Moffet

woo hoo.  My 140 main air jets arrived today!  The carbs can go back together!

Brian

Brian Moffet

The carbs went back together yesterday, and it appears that the problem might have been the front carb emulsions tube.  When I pulled it out to clean it, I put the nozzle of the carb clean at the jet and sprayed.  Not much came out.  I did it again, and then carb cleaner really started coming out.  It was as if the jet was blocked somewhat and it's now clear.  But, I put the carbs back together using standard fuel line hose from Kragen where I had to cut the hose off.  I still have to fit the hoses to the petcock, which is why they are long.  I also put a little bit of grease on the fittings so that things will slide on and off a little better.

But there is one more hose that I need to pick up, which is the small hose that goes between the two accelerator pump connections.  I think I'm going to have to visit a hobby store for hose that small, none of the auto-stores carry anything but standard fuel line. 

Can I use small vacuum line?

And a shot of the lights to the left.  One thing about the lights, I did pick up a rely and wired it into the blue wire coming off the ignition switch (the one for the rear lights). The lights go off when I turn the key off.  However, I ran out of room under the dash!  The relay is in the headlight bucket...

Brian

Brian Moffet

For those that don't remember:

Lucky

I like where you put the fuel filter. kind of a tight fit, but that's where i put mine too.

you can use 2 cycle (think weedeater) fuel line between the carbs for the accel pump. vacuume line is too soft & won't keep the pressure up.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Thanks, that's why I was thinking hobby shop, they sell stuff for RC airplanes (some of which use weed-eater engines!)  The fuel filter actually allows the fuel line to arc more and keep it from interfering.  Pretty nice.

Brian

Tiger

8) Looking really good Brian... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

I'll echo Tiger's remark!

I used a 90 degree angle type filter.  Even though they are 82 carbs, the location is similar. the hose comes out of the petcock to the filter, makes a right angle & goes through the fuel line support.  Can see into the filter from the side of the bike - makes it easy to see if there's been any contamination going through.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

One year ago today, on my way down to the California Riders of Vision get together, I lost power above about 4500 RPM. 

Today, the bike started and ran, bogging terribly at 5000 RPM (it hasn't been synced yet) but making it up to 8000 RPM before I let it come down again.  The YICS might be leaking slightly, and it does need to be synced.

More later.

Brian

dminor

Brian,
   The bike is looking good, when are you going to ride it? I hope you get it on the rode before the reunion.
D

PS let me know if you need anything ;)

h2olawyer

Woo-Hoo!  Almost there.  Sounds like you've fixed the glitch.  Wish you were coming to CO in June so I could see what your clean V looks like!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

A bit more information.  For the last few days, I was trying to find the 1/8 inch line that I can use between the accelerator pump and the front carb, but have been completely unsuccessful.  I tried pretty much every store I could think of, though I did get a lot of "Did you try..."  information from people I asked.  Saturday morning, I put the carbs back on the bike because I could put the fuel line on with them on.

At the same time, my airplane is going into annual, and I headed down to the airport to clean the oil off from the belly yesterday, figuring I would have to mail-order the line from dennis kirk or something along those lines.   When driving by a hanger I saw someone polishing his 97 Triumph, and stopped to chat.  Turns out he is getting ready to sell it, only 4000 dollars, but that's still a bit out of my league.

I mentioned rebuilding the Vision, and that I was not having any luck at the fuel line.  "You mean this stuff?"  He gave me a foot of it free.

So, I came home after a couple of hours, and I installed the fuel line. I didn't have the right size clips to keep the line on, but it's a good pressure fit for the moment.  I put the tank back on, but not the air box or filter.  Connected things up and turned it on prime. Discovered I had a slight fuel leak at the brass bolt that covers the get near the bottom and tightened that up.  Also had to tighten up the screw under the carb which covers the bottom get. 

Rolled the throttle several times, and turned the engine over.  It would catch and then die. 

Nothing. Then I walked around the bike and there was something missing.  I hadn't put the YICS on.  I couldn't find the bolt that connects it up, but I attached it and used a different bolt to hold it on.  Rolled the throttle several times, hit the start button and she started up (well, after a bit of coaxing.)  Used the idle adjustment to bring the idle up to about 2500 RPM and let it warm up.

After it was warm, I started moving the throttle up, and right around 5000 RPM, it started bogging down to the point of almost dying. However, when I let go of the throttle it came back (unlike last time).  I gave it more gas and it choked a little through 5000 but climbed on up to 8000 RPM and stayed there. It ran rough, but it ran.

Shut it down and let it cool off for a while.  I removed the tank again, and came up with a list of things to do:

1) the main line for the fuel return is too short, it kinks when I connect it up to the petcock.
2) get clips for the new fuel line.
3) find the bolt for YICS and test it for leaks.  (there was a slight hesitancy when I let go of the throttle)
4) put airbox back on and then adjust the sync, after I clean the air filter.

So, it's pretty close.  I might need some mixture adjustment.  I didn't remove the mixture adjustment when I cleaned the carbs since it was running well at lower RPM.  I couldn't find a dip here in California, and apparently Santa Cruz is the boondocks when it comes to non-standard auto and motorcycle supplies!  I'm going to try the 4 things above first and see what comes of it. 

Based on the way the airbox is laid out, I need to tune the carbs with it on, and I assume I attach the sync gauge (I have a carb-stick I got from my dad) to the YICS ports?

Brian (no, this isn't an April Fools joke.  It really ran...)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: dminor on March 31, 2007, 10:47:11 PM
   The bike is looking good, when are you going to ride it? I hope you get it on the rode before the reunion.

Thanks Don, I really appreciate all of the help and parts I've gotten off members (and I really will send the spare parts back!).  I figure I will have it back on the road with a week or two.  It's really that close.  I don't think I will be able to make it to the reunion.  However, my life is currently in a bit of flux, so I don't know.  I'm looking for another job and I don't know what that will bring or when. 

I'll keep people informed, and hopefully get a photo or two soon.

Brian

h2olawyer

Brian -

Attach the carb synch tool to the vacuum ports on the intake boots.  You may need to make some adapters to fit.  There should be an extra port on the rear boot & the front one requires unhooking the petcock vacuum.  Run with petcock on prime when you synch.

At least that's how the 82s are done.  Your 83 may require some slight differences.

H2O

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on April 01, 2007, 02:29:49 PM
Attach the carb synch tool to the vacuum ports on the intake boots.  You may need to make some adapters to fit.  There should be an extra port on the rear boot & the front one requires unhooking the petcock vacuum.  Run with petcock on prime when you synch.

I'm going off memory here, but I have a single port on the rear intake manifold that goes to the accelerator pump, and 2 ports on the front intake manifold, one goes to the petcock and one goes to the fuel pump.  Since I'll be running at a "idle" I probably don't need to use the fuel pump and petcock (or even the accelerator pump?) 

Which got me thinking on the line to the accelerator pump.  Why is it there?  If you have more vacuum, and you roll the throttle does that mean you'll get a larger fuel shot into the carb?  Or do I have this really wired incorrectly?

Brian

P.S. As it turns out I was not able to do as much work on the vision this last weekend because I've been working on the annual inspection on my Stinson 108.  Apparently it blew out an exhaust manifold gasket and has a cracked flange on the exhaust.  That probably will need to be replaced before it can fly again...  Ah well, it's only money...

h2olawyer

I haven't looked at the vacuum plumbing on an 83.  But, at idle, you shouldn't need the fuel pump.  Set your petcock to prime so it flows without vacuum.  The 82s have one vacuum port capped, so on those, you just need to disconnect the petcock.  Not sure why the accel pump would be vacuum actuated - or assisted.  Interesting.

Motorcycle = a hole in the ground into which one throws some money.
Boat = a hole in the water into which one throws a lot of money.
Airplane = a hole in the air into which one throws all their money.
Ain't hobbies great!   ;D

H2O

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on April 02, 2007, 03:57:03 PM
Ain't hobbies great!   ;D

Oh yeah.  And if you look at the photos of the Vision, you'll see my next project, a 1967 Austin Healy Mk IV Sprite.  I took my driving test in that car.  (scary image, I had the test giver come out, ask where the car was.  I pointed to the Sprite and he looked at it and them limped over to it.  He couldn't bend his right leg very well, I could see he was already marking down points before he got in the car.  I passed by 1 point)

Brian

h2olawyer

A, A-H Sprite!  To quote Tim Taylor,  "But, it's British!  It's got that wierd positive ground electrical system NOBODY understands!"   ;D

Actually, I'm a fan of British vehicles.  Dad had a TR3, a friend had a Lotus Europa and his dad had an MG-TD.  The TR3 was difficult to keep the carbs in synch, the Europa kept breaking $700 bearing housings & the TD leaves an oil slick wherever it parks (and that's after a professional rebuild).  I think its the quirky nature of the cars that makes them so endearing.  That & the fact they're just so much fun to drive.

Took my driver's test in a 62 VW bug & my motorcycle test on a GPz550.  Same examiner for both.  He was the only one in Steamboat for many years.  About 30 years of Steamboat kids got their licenses from him.  The cycle test was two parts - written & riding around some painted dots in the court house parking lot, stopping & accelerating.  Took about 5 minutes.  Much more involved today.

H2O