News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Dead Dirty Vision

Started by Brian Moffet, July 05, 2006, 10:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

The guy that gave me my Vision asked me if I would like to help him restore his running wreck, a 1970 something MG.  Overall, it runs great and he drives it a lot in nice weather.  Mostly needs body work though which I'm clueless about....Reckon, wanna spend some time in Tennessee?  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

the acellerator control valve on the 83 accel pump is supposed to keep the accel pumps from spraying with the bike off (lack of vacuume) so you don't flood it, but it's a piss poor design, don't ever take it apart unless it leaks vacuume or fuel, then call me FIRST!!!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on April 02, 2007, 06:29:13 PM
don't ever take it apart unless it leaks vacuume or fuel, then call me FIRST!!!!

Too late :-)  It seems to be working just fine after I rebuilt it.  I made sure to put it back together the way it was, and I didn't remove that rod at all. 

Brian

Brian Moffet

Sunday afternoon I picked up fuel lines which were plenty long for all of the applications I needed, and then put the airbox back on. Because the line from the front valve cover disintigrated on me when I took it off months ago, I replaced it.  That meant I had to cut down a line and then attach it, making sure that I didn't get a kink in the line and end up blocking off the vent.   At the same time, based on a different thread, I rotated my rear shock :-)

It's been a while since I've been able to work on the bike, mostly because the Friday before Easter, I got hit with a really bad cold.  The type that saps your energy so that it's hard to even make it through a shower.  I spent most of last week recovering, but ended up getting bacterial conjunctivitis in both eyes. (pink-eye, probably from the cold, bacterial is when your eyelids glue together...)  I'm now on anti-biotics for that. 

In addition, I found out that my airplane needed to have the entire left exhaust system replaced.  Sunday was the first day I actually found time and energy to work on the bike.  As of right now, I need to clean the air-filter, check to make sure everything is in the proper place, and then synchronize the carbs.  If I'm fortunate, that will be just about the end of this little odyssey.  I still need to fix the lower fairing heat vents, but compared to what else I've been through, that should be easy.

Brian

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on April 02, 2007, 06:29:13 PM
the acellerator control valve on the 83 accel pump is supposed to keep the accel pumps from spraying with the bike off (lack of vacuume) so you don't flood it

I just reread this line.  My vision has never, ever done this.  The accell pump has always sprayed without a vacuum.  I find it kind of useful to tell you the truth, I use it to start the bike.

How odd.

Brian

Lucky

that's why i said 'supposed to'  ;)

mine doesn't work as advertised either.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

That's weird, why would you want the accelerator pumps to not work at all? Thought it was standard op to pump the throttle on anything carburated before starting?  ???
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Prophet of Doom

I sat my licence test in a 1936 Austin 10 (10 horsepower).  It stalled at the lights and the testing officer was so incensed by me having to get out and hand crank it that he got out and walked back to the station.  He told me that sitting the test in my car was like sitting school exams with a broken pencil, and that the only reason he didn't ticket me for driving an unsafe vehicle was that it was my (15th) birthday.
Needless to say I failed - and sat it again later in a slightly more reliable Mazda

Brian Moffet

2.5 miles on the Vision today, up to the university entrance and back.  It pulls nicely all the way to redline.

Brian

h2olawyer

Great news!

Looks like the gremlins moved to Tiger's place, though.

What do we call you now - Vision Risen?   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

I've been doing a work on the bike today, I'll post more later.  However, if you get new spark plugs, carbs set up correctly and everything tuned nicely, hopefully your bike will start as easily as mine.  When warm it will fire before one full revolution.  It's amazing...

Oh, and 21 years ago today, I paid 2590.00 for my bike, plus doc fees, sales tax, a service contract, and license for a total out the door price of 3159.70. (I found my purchase contract.)

Brian (off to pick up some more misc parts.  I lost the nuts that hold the seat on!!!)

h2olawyer

Good to hear you've got it all sorted out & clean!   ;D  How do you manage to stay on with a loose seat?

I'm sure the initial paperwork for mine is around in a file box someplace.  I've moved several times since I bought it in June, 1984.  I paid about half what you did.  no service contract, but I did get a helmet, shark fairing and case guards.

Sounds like I ought to do the spark plugs on mine.  When it gets regular use, it starts almost as easily as yours.  However, if it sits a few days, I need to set to prime, wait a few minutes, set choke to about 50%, give the throttle a couple twists and crank it for a couple seconds before it fires up.  When I finally got the carbs really clean & had new plugs, it did start a little easier.  Been a few years since I had the carbs apart.  Been running Seafoam on a regular basis (about 1/4 can every third fill-up) & BG44K once a year through them so they should be staying clean.  Also have a lined tank & fuel filter installed and use Sta-Bil whenever it has a chance of sitting longer than three weeks.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

The photo was after I replaced the nuts with self-locking ones.  ;)

And notice the fairing doesn't have the lowers on it yet.  But that's all that remains at the moment.  I haven't decided if I'm going to add up what I've put into her this time around...

Brian

Tiger

Quote from: Vision Rising on April 22, 2007, 07:58:06 PM
I haven't decided if I'm going to add up what I've put into her this time around...
Brian

...Don't Brian, it'll scare the shit outta you... ;) BTW...nice seat 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on April 22, 2007, 09:11:42 PM
BTW...nice seat 8)

Yeah, it appears to have spawned a lot of children  :o

Brian Moffet

Oh dear me.  I'm beginning to think I like the looks of my bike without the lower fairings...    :o

Brian

Ron_McCoy

Many of us like them better that way.  Looking good Brian. :) :) :)

inanecathode

A bunch of perverts i tell ya! Fawning over half naked visions! Mine's gonna be fully clothed thank you very much..
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Brian Moffet

Progressive forks springs, stainless brake lines, new carb parts, rebuilt forks, front running lights, shorty turn signal stalks.  Frame was almost completely repainted, removing all of the rust.  Fork lowers were repainted.  I didn't end up replacing the rear shock.  There was quite a lot done to the bike, a lot of deferred maintenance.  There is still a very slight hesitation when you slowly go up to 5000 RPM and hold it there on the center stand.  However the bike pulls really strongly with no hesitation when you're riding it.  I think I still have a few minor things to do, but I'm classifying those as minor projects for later.

10 months after I started the rebuild, and 13 months after it broke near Paso Robles.  Probably around 250 hours of my time during the last 10 months.

Oh and still 24 year old paint  ;)

Brian

Night Vision

niiiize.... let's see some pics of VR on TR (the road)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano