Found my carb leak, questions on plug + ball bearing

Started by dchakrab, July 08, 2006, 05:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

I think I know where the gas was leaking from:

With the carbs the right way up, on the opposite side from the throttle linkage, there are two fittings hanging down, one from each carb. They're off white, maybe plastic? There's a black tube connected both of them.

From Lucky's page here: http://www.xz550.com/83mix.html I think that's the drain fitting. One of these is sealed solid, and the other one has a hole on the bottom...this is where the gas was leaking from.

How do I seal this?

Ball bearing question:

I've got the tapered adjuster screws out, after using carb cleaner to dissolve the goo holding them in place. After a lot of coaxing, I got the little springs out from behind them, too.

So, at right angles to those adjusters, there's the plug, which has already been drilled (and sealed off with screws). I haven't managed to get those to budget yet...putting the screw partially in and pulling on it with pliers hasn't worked.

The balls seem to be directly beneath the plug...? What purpose do they serve? I can only see part of the ball bearing, meaning that it's seated in some kind of socket, and covered with the same goo that was holding the adjusters in place. They're not budging. Thoughts on getting them out?

Thoughts on getting the plugs out?

It's been a while since I had time to come back to these carbs, but I'm determined to get them finished and the V running soon, if I can.

All advice appreciated...Lucky, I hope your move went well, and you're in front of a keyboard again  :)

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

dchakrab

Update:

After a *lot* of effort, one of the plugs is out.

A little jiggling and some carb cleaner soaking to get the crud off got the ball bearing under it out too. Both are soaking in carb cleaner.

I'm assuming the pin is under the ball bearing. Needless to say, that's not coming out either. How do I get it to come out? I'm trying to be super-careful so I don't break anything here...

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

dchakrab

Update again, as of Saturday afternoon:

I left some carb cleaner on top of the pins to soak in and hopefully loosen the crud holding them down there, and it seems to have worked. Sticking a magnet down the shafts and playing around with it eventually pulled both the pins and springs out. They were coated in the same gray goo that was used to hold the adjuster screws in place...is this normal? I thought the idea was to get them as clean as possible?

Anyway, a soak in carb cleaner will hopefully get the goo off them. Sprayed carb cleaner down both shafts, and it squirts up through a shaft on the top face of each carb, just alongside the center of the float bowls.

Question: if I want to dip these carbs before trying to reassemble (not sure how else to get these passages squeaky clean), what else has to come off?

The tops of the carbs are off, but I can't get the floats to come off...the posts they're on are stuck tight.

The bottoms are attached. I took off the screws holding the throttle linkage in place, but I'm not sure how to take off the bottom of the linkage on each carb (where the coiled spring is wrapped around).

On the same side, there's a random tube that comes out to a small, flat, circular thing. The tube goes in, nothing comes out. What is this, and what do I do with it?

Lots of rubber hoses around, which I assume I'll need to take off so they don't dissolve.

Main gaskets between upper and lower carbs are stuck on the lower carb bodies. They're stiff. If I want to dip these carbs, I'm assuming I need them off. How do I get them off without tearing / cracking / breaking them? Are new gaskets available...and how cheap?

How do I fix the leak?

I feel like I'm *slowly* making some progress here...

Dave.

dchakrab

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

dchakrab

Thanks, man...I need a lot more hand-holding than most people on this, since I'm terrified I'm going to break something. On the other hand, I don't want these carbs rusting on my desk, either...when are you in Chicago next? Let me know if you've got time.

Thanks,

Dave.

haunter

Quote from: dchakrab on July 10, 2006, 06:21:26 PM
Thanks, man...I need a lot more hand-holding than most people on this, since I'm terrified I'm going to break something. On the other hand, I don't want these carbs rusting on my desk, either...when are you in Chicago next? Let me know if you've got time.

Thanks,

Dave.

weekend of the 28th I beleive....maybe sooner, but doubtful
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

zrx2000

Fuel spews out of somewhere on my '83 as well.  Seems as if this location is a candidate.  Please post when you resolve your leak.

haunter

sorry dave, I am under the impression I am under house arrest all weekend up at the girlfriends so I porbably can't sneak over and help with your carbs.

I won't be up there much at all anymore after that either as the girlfriend is moving back to charleston for school(thank god, 44 miles is way better than 146). 

I will let you know though, as I do love tinkering  ;D

Lucky

zrx2000  & dchakrab  if you pm me your phone numbers, i'll give you a call to help out.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black